Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby MamaPata » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:53 pm

DaveBee wrote:
neofight78 wrote:They're difficult for native speakers, i.e. I'm crap with English tongue twisters, so why do non-native speakers have to wrestle with them? The few occasions a Russian teacher has used them, I've not really felt any benefit. Maybe someone has a difference experience or even has some data on this.
Perhaps because it forces you to pronounce words correctly?

TV5's learn french pages include tongue twisters (les virelangues) in their material too, so there must be an argument for them somewhere.

No data, but I think for me, it's useful practice. Like you, I'm no good at them in English and I have no desire to be able to rattle them off like mad. But when I work on them, it makes me practise some of the sounds that I probably fudge a bit - for example, today I had to really practise bits where it goes from т to ть at the end of words, which I definitely don't always do when speaking. And I do notice that when I've been doing tongue twisters, speaking normally did come a bit more naturally.

Not really relevant to this group, but when I was teaching, I used to make the kids practise tongue twisters. It made us all laugh, they liked the challenge of it (and would then go away repeating the tongue twisters, which I definitely couldn't get them to do with the vocab they were meant to be learning!). And it was a good way of working on sounds like 'th' or 'w', without just drilling endlessly.
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:31 pm

So I've dropped my L-R of Hunger Games. Почему, вы спрашиваете? I got pulled into another book...in English.

I normally spend the commute reading and/or L-R Esperanto or Russian, but the last few books I've been reading have been so good, I didn't want to just read them at night in bed.

Here soon I'll be done with the book I'm reading now and go back to either Russian or Esperanto on the bus/train. I miss the Esperanto book (Mi Stelojn Jungis al Revado); I was about 2/3 done when I started up Hunger Games. I might go back to Esperanto as I get plenty of reading, listening, speaking done with class twice a week. Two hours one-on-one is sufficient for me in Russian to maintain my proficiency.

Speaking of Russian class, my two weeks of one-on-one is over. I got a fellow student in my class now. Her Russian is really good, so that'll help push me. The instructor asked her for topics she wants to go over and she's supposed to report back this Wednesday. Meanwhile, we're done with our "sports" theme and the instructor said next we'll hit "language and linguistics" as I requested. I noticed her (the instructor) using one of my favorite Russian language series, Флинта-Наука. They are green covered books that deal with many aspects of the Russian language. She was using one entitled Ваше Мнение. So of course I had to go out and buy it.

My favorite book in the series is Когда не помогают словари...: Практикум по лексике современного русского языка. В 3 частях. Very highly recommended.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am

I'll have to check out that series - looks really useful!

My Russian is just ticking along really. Term has started again, so I am doing classes and homework and so on, but haven't quite managed to pull my language study back into gear. There's just been a lot going on and so while Russian has continued, it hasn't reached first place in my priorities. But hopefully that will be changing as things are about to get a bit less hectic!

How is everyone else doing?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 am

I was suggested to read this article about the first Russian words all foreigners should learn. Thought it might be nice for our beginners who can just look at the word list, and other levels for the full article. Does anyone have any additions?

Personally, one of the first words I had to ask people about was так because people where I was living used it constantly. I figured it must be something really important, but no, just a filler word!

N.B. There is a slur included in the list of words in the article, which I think is dealt with badly and I would strongly advise people not to use, because it is very homophobic. It is used widely in Russia, and so I felt the article might still be worth sharing, but if other people would rather I don't link to the article, that is fine and I will delete this.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

rfnsoares
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Portuguese
B2/C1: English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
A2/B1: Romanian, German
A2: Polish, Greek, Hungarian
Dabbling: Croatian, Czech, Swedish, Norwegian, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Hebrew...

Postby rfnsoares » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Hello, everyone!
Thank you for sharing this article, MamaPata. I will read it as soon as possible. Looks very interesting! :)
For the first time since I started learning Russian I feel that I am making real progress, especially in my reading skiils. My vocabulary has considerably improved in the last couple of months. Well, I have been working a lot. I have been reading many online newspapers and wikipedia articles a day, looking up for unknown words and reviewing them later. Now I am considering to start reading novels. 8-)
1 x
100 Russian novels : 33 / 100

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 pm

I've lived in Russia over 4 years and have never heard that word. Maybe I'm not hanging out with certain people?
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:23 am

IronMike wrote:I've lived in Russia over 4 years and have never heard that word. Maybe I'm not hanging out with certain people?

Fingers crossed that's how it stays!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:41 pm

I've recently been listening to the Radio show/podcast Говорим по-русски, which is all about Russian language, cultural differences, common mistakes, etc. I'm finding it really interesting and the level suits me well - the women talk clearly, there is often a transcript, not too much background noise, but it's a good range of vocab.

As they put it: Передача рассказывает о проблемах и трудностях русского языка в легкой и популярной форме, способствуя повышению грамотности и правильному использованию русского языка как в разговорной речи, так и на письме.

If you do listen to it, don't worry about the introductory first few lines - they seem to be more tongue twisters. But if anyone knows what they are, feel free to comment and let me know - I can't make out all of them.
5 x
Corrections appreciated.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:20 pm

If you do listen to it, don't worry about the introductory first few lines - they seem to be more tongue twisters. But if anyone knows what they are, feel free to comment and let me know - I can't make out all of them.

Yes, it's tongue twisters. For example, https://echo.msk.ru/sounds/2078194.html :
1. Вилли с Молли, Молли с Вилли все тарелки перебили
2. Фараонов фаворит на сапфир сменял нефрит
3. Эники беники ели вареники

but there's some background noise and I had to listen to the first one two-three times to catch it.

BTW, this podcast reminded me how after Revolution 1917 some people started to give their newborns fancy 'revolution' names. If a boy got lucky he could be called, for example, Владлен, and a girl - Октябрина. These names at least sound OK. But less fortunate children could be named Трактор (tractor) which, as a name, sounds ridiculous or, pardon, Драздаперма (Да здравствует первое мая/Viva May 1) that sounds practically as a swear word. Of course, poor childeren changed these awful names when they grew up.
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm

aaleks wrote:BTW, this podcast reminded me how after Revolution 1917 some people started to give their newborns fancy 'revolution' names. If a boy got lucky he could be called, for example, Владлен, and a girl - Октябрина. These names at least sound OK. But less fortunate children could be named Трактор (tractor) which, as a name, sounds ridiculous or, pardon, Драздаперма (Да здравствует первое мая/Viva May 1) that sounds practically as a swear word. Of course, poor children changed these awful names when they grew up.

Don't forget those horrible names they made combining the names Engels, Marx, Lenin, Stalin. Oy. [Edit: One such name I remember from Kyrgyzstan was Mels, resulting in a patronymic of Melsovich.]
Last edited by IronMike on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Study Groups”