Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby neofight78 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Ah, got it now :D
1 x

Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Postby Ольга » Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi there, guys.
Would anybody like to find an exchange partner? I am a Russian native speaker, as you probably know. I am learning English and I am eager to help you if you kindly help me. ;)
I would be very glad to see your PM. :)
2 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri May 12, 2017 2:21 pm

neofight78 wrote:Anyone here using goodreads to keep track of their Russian reading? I've just started using it and wondered if it might be useful to see what people were reading / recommending etc.

My profile is here: https://www.goodreads.com/neofight78

Hi, just sent you a friends request.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Fri May 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Received! :)
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:32 pm

How is everyone doing? What are you working on at the moment? I have started the Schaum's grammar outline, which I am enjoying.

Does anyone have any TV recommendations? I am happy to watch foreign shows as long as the dubbing removes the original voices - I have tried a few US shows and I always end up listening to the English rather than the Russian. Obviously a Russian show would be better though! However, I tried Кухня and a little of the similar show in a hotel and found them both quite irritating. I have tried Екатерина which wasn't great, but was easier to cope with than Кухня! What do you watch? What would you recommend?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:40 am

I haven't joined over here but it is about time that I did. Gotta up my studying so I can be friends with neofight on goodreads ;) I've been studying with Le Russe à votre rythme, which is going very well. At least when I am consistent. The book and method are great.
To answer your question, I'm watching Мажор on Netflix and I really like it.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am

Ani wrote:I haven't joined over here but it is about time that I did. Gotta up my studying so I can be friends with neofight on goodreads ;) I've been studying with Le Russe à votre rythme, which is going very well. At least when I am consistent. The book and method are great.
To answer your question, I'm watching Мажор on Netflix and I really like it.

We're very glad to have you!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:32 am

Ani wrote:Gotta up my studying so I can be friends with neofight on goodreads ;)

This clearly needs to be your main goal! :P
3 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone doing? What are you working on at the moment?

Things are going well, although still annoyed by the 24 hours in a day time limit thing. At the moment I'm going on a Беляев binge, to use popular terminology :)

MamaPata wrote:Does anyone have any TV recommendations? ... However, I tried Кухня and a little of the similar show in a hotel and found them both quite irritating.

I'm surprised that you don't like Кухня, it's popular with both natives and learners alike. I'm going though it a second time and I'm picking up a lot more of the jokes now, first time round I was probably B1 and a lot of the details passed me by. Why did you find it irritating? They did a number of seasons and then wisely stopped when the show started showing signs of flagging. A sensible decision. And then they followed up with a stupid decision which was to carry on without a lot of the best actors / dynamics and created Отель Элеон which is a travesty.

It's hard to recommend something as everyone have different tastes, but below is a list of serials I have watched. Maybe there'll be something to your liking:

• Нюхач (was available with English subtitles, now not sure) - The premise is daft, but otherwise excellent.
  • Баллада о бомбере (English subtitles) - If you're not tired of war stuff this is a good one, plenty of good cliffhangers.
  • Вангелия (English subtitles) - Drama about a famous Bulgarian psychic partly based on true events.
  • Интерны (Transcript available) - Very popular comedy series, language quite challenging though.
  • Игрушки - Rather daft and basic, took a few episodes for me to warm up to it. Light hearted and language easy to understand.
  • Как я стал русским - Comedy about an American journalist in Russia. Not bad, but not great.
  • Анжелика - Comedy starts off well but fades after 10 episodes or so. Plenty of slang.
  • Шулер (English & Russian subtitles) - Enjoyable series about the escapades of a conman and his friends.
  • Метод Фрейда (English & Russian subtitles) - Detective series with the main guy from Интерны. He plays a similar character but in a different context.
  • Однажды в Одессе - A sort of Russian Godfather. Enjoyable.
  • Сын отца народов - Drama about Stalin's son.
  • Обратная сторона Луны - Russian version of Life on Mars. Pretty good.

I've probably forgot a few. Arnaud has watched quite a few serials, maybe he can contribute to the list.
5 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:26 am

MamaPata wrote:How is everyone doing? What are you working on at the moment? I have started the Schaum's grammar outline, which I am enjoying.

I'm still on my intensive reading challenge and have dropped everything else. Judging by my reading speed this will probably go on in roughly the same fashion for another 500 hours :D Oh dear! I do have plan though: ideally at least 2h a day intensive reading until the end of July, then binge reading as much as I can on my break in August, then dropping back to 2h+ until the end of the year.
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Study Groups”