Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby MamaPata » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:49 am

Systematiker wrote:
Theodisce wrote:
MamaPata wrote:Apparently плотский is a dated form of 'carnal'.

It's still used, at least in religious contexts.

Of the two, guess which word I recognized....

I am glad I am not alone in my weird Russian vocabulary.

(Although you at least have an excuse. I don't read anything religious, where on earth did I come across it?!)
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 am

I am sure many of you will have already seen this but I thought I should share.

I had seen pictures of it but never actually watched it until yesterday, but now the song is stuck in my head.

How is everyone doing? How are the Russian studies going?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:55 am

For your info, НТВ on YouTube offers a lot a series with russian close captions that are rather precise.
At the moment, I've counted 22 series with subtitles and there are also a few shows about interior decoration, food and health, technology, travel...
Unfortunately, there is no playlist for subtitled shows and you have to look for yourself in the videos, that's the hassle.
НТВ is what it is, but it's an alternative source to StarMedia.
7 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Anybody planning on doing the Super Challenge with Russian?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:17 pm

MamaPata wrote:Anybody planning on doing the Super Challenge with Russian?

I wish! I have a pile of books put to one side, including some easy ones for small children learning to read, but unfortunately I haven't been studying consistently enough to get to a level where I feel I can sign up. I'm going to see how things go and maybe sign up for a half challenge (or a quarter challenge :lol: ) later in the year if I make some more progress.
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:33 pm

MamaPata wrote:Anybody planning on doing the Super Challenge with Russian?

Considering it! It would be a nice way to level-up :)
2 x

BooBoo
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N) English (B2) French (B1)

Postby BooBoo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 pm

May I join in? I have no previous knowledge with russian. The closest thing to the grammar that I can think of is my brief experience with finnish and a few weeks studying Danish. I've been looking at russian with interest for a while now. But only when the lack of resources for danish got the best of me that I started to consider picking up russian. Not to mention that I really look forward to read the great classics. I plan to turn them into my long term goal. I'm not scared, I might get frustrated in the long run but I'm ready, for sure. :D
4 x
Assimil French: 24 / 113
Teach Yourself Danish: 7 / 18

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Tue May 01, 2018 5:52 am

BooBoo wrote:May I join in? I have no previous knowledge with russian. The closest thing to the grammar that I can think of is my brief experience with finnish and a few weeks studying Danish. I've been looking at russian with interest for a while now. But only when the lack of resources for danish got the best of me that I started to consider picking up russian. Not to mention that I really look forward to read the great classics. I plan to turn them into my long term goal. I'm not scared, I might get frustrated in the long run but I'm ready, for sure. :D

Welcome! We're all here to support each other! I look forward to seeing how it goes for you.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Mon May 07, 2018 8:35 pm

I have wanted to join you fine people for a long time. I am BOLIO. I have learned Spanish to an upper intermediate or low advance level. It is the only language I have learned outside of my native English. Iguanamon has motivated me in language learning along with James29, Crush, Tarvos, Cavesa, Iversen, Rdearman, EMK, Serpent, and MANY, MANY more on the old board as well as here. Thank you all.

As to Russian, I know nothing. Well, that is not entirely true, I took a few hours to learn the alphabet. There are a couple of the sounds I still confuse but I can slowly sound out the words as I see them. As to their meaning, I think I know three words (hello, sister and brother). When I say I am a beginner, I mean it. Also, I will be doing the FLC Challenge. I am in no hurry but will set aside time every day. My current studying is about 3.5 hours a day with Spanish. I will limit myself for a while in Russian to about an hour a day and keep 2.5 to my Spanish. When I say I study Spanish I mean I read books and watch Movies / TV. Declensions scare me a little but if I can find a way to make it logical (same for verbs of motion, etc) then I will eventually get it. Goals for Russian are to freely speak and read the language. Reading the classics in Russian Literature would be amazing (Will be amazing. :D )

My Russian plan looks like this:

1. Learnrussian.rt.com/phonetics and beginner activities
2. L-R 25 hours L2/L1 (Steps 2 and 3 are for listening to the sound of Russian and not vocabulary acquisition.)
3. L-R 25 Hours L2/L2
4. Cortina 20 with audio / Approach it like Luca's Assimil method (L2-L1-L2) and Arguelles with his Shadowing and Scriptorium. I am really going to try and milk everything I can out of this content. I will not get into a hurry (My regret with Spanish Assimil).
5. Princeton Course - I have downloaded the entire program and it seems quite extensive.
6. Native materials. However, I will be listening to native materials all along the way.

Additional Daily Activities:
1) Shadow Short Text without meaning. Work them intensively until I understand their meaning and Shadow some more.
2) Clozemaster Top 100 words (Shadow clozemaster Sentences) After the 100 I will go onto the top 1,000 and so on.

Weekly / Monthly activities:
There is a local group of Russians as well as a few (not too many) Americans who are learning Russian who meet weekly within a couple of miles of my house. I met one of them yesterday. He was very nice and very supportive when I told him I was starting Russian. I look forward to visiting them as much as my schedule will allow.

Anyway, I am glad to be here if that is OK with you all. I appreciate all the posts you have made with your Russian experiences.

All the best,

BOLIO
3 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Tue May 08, 2018 8:34 am

Welcome BOLIO! I'm sure you're gonna do great, that looks like a very detailed plan.

Just a quick resources dump, I'll come back and talk about some of these later. Think all are free and legal!

Have Fun with Russian - Online tests and exercises for all levels.

The University of Sussex has a big collection of resources for learners, loads of which look great.

Another big list.

Learn Russian through Film This looks like it'll be right up my street.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”