Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby MamaPata » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:19 pm

On my log, I have a bunch of links to Russian language youtubers I watch and follow. They tend to be about: politics, history, languages, motivation. I won't copy them all here, because it's long, but if you're interested, ask me about them or suggest people I've missed!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:06 am

I hope I don't anger anybody by posting here, but I'm thinking of studying Russian to speak with a co-worker of mine. If any of you have any resource ideas that could help me get to a level where I could talk with him for an extended period of time, I'd be happy to know of them. Yes, I've looked through reineke's thread to get some ideas, but I haven't found anything that could work yet.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 am

eido wrote:I hope I don't anger anybody by posting here, but I'm thinking of studying Russian to speak with a co-worker of mine. If any of you have any resource ideas that could help me get to a level where I could talk with him for an extended period of time, I'd be happy to know of them. Yes, I've looked through reineke's thread to get some ideas, but I haven't found anything that could work yet.

That's what the thread is for! What sort of resources are you looking for? There's a list in one of the first posts of this group, but they're often for a higher level. Are you looking for textbooks/apps?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm

MamaPata wrote:That's what the thread is for! What sort of resources are you looking for? There's a list in one of the first posts of this group, but they're often for a higher level. Are you looking for textbooks/apps?

Textbooks would be good, if you'd like to recommend me any.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 pm

Russian the Easy Way - Gulnara Useinova. This was the first textbook I used to learn Russian, which my tutor asked us to use. It's not cheap if you want to buy it in the UK but I would genuinely recommend it for beginners. It's very non-threatening (i.e. lots of empty pages, big photos, not too much information crammed on a page). But also the two textbooks work really well together, giving you a chance to practise new vocab and grammar.
New Penguin Russian Course. I really liked this and have worked most of the way through it. I wouldn't use it standalone, but it's a good way of getting used to the grammar. It's probably a little intense if you're just looking for conversation, but it's good. You could do a little with it from time to time, and suplement it with videos, apps, etc.

I've only ever used the second one of Colloquial Russian but that may be a good bet. I think that's what RadioClare is using, so might be worth checking out her log to see her progress.

There's a lot of stuff for beginner Russian learners on Youtube (and the internet generally). EasyLanguages has a specific set of videos called something like Super Easy Russian, which is aimed at total beginners, to teach them the sort of questions they would need to know.
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:58 am

Thought some of you might be interested in this article about foreigners responses to Russian. There should be something for all levels. It lists occupations and countries that the commentators come from, so it's a good way of revising beginner vocab. But also entertaining!

To show both sides though, there's also this article about why English isn't normal. (Available in English here)
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

BlackMaestro
Languages: Russian (N), English (B2)

Postby BlackMaestro » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Hello everyone! I'm very glad that there are so many people interested in studying Russian. I'm native speaker and if you have any question about grammar, expressions, unknown words or anything else, feel free to ask. I'll do my best answering your questions! ;)
3 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:36 am

Hello,
I'm wanderlusting after Russian (I mean I have a basic grammar booklet), and since I have the advantage of being a native speaker of a fellow Slavic language, I am looking for Russian websites I could drop in Learning With Texts.

I am mostly interested in sports (basically anything, football, F1, basketball, field and track, ski jumping...) and computer games. I would like to avoid current events, which is why I haven't managed to find anything myself, because news sites even if they have a sports section, they first have a big main page with the usual politics...
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 pm

Zireael wrote:Hello,
I'm wanderlusting after Russian (I mean I have a basic grammar booklet), and since I have the advantage of being a native speaker of a fellow Slavic language, I am looking for Russian websites I could drop in Learning With Texts.

I am mostly interested in sports (basically anything, football, F1, basketball, field and track, ski jumping...) and computer games. I would like to avoid current events, which is why I haven't managed to find anything myself, because news sites even if they have a sports section, they first have a big main page with the usual politics...

There is a Russian magazine that also has a website called Футбол. Хоккей which, as the title indicates, is all about football and ice hockey. You should be able to avoid politics there. :)
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

MamaPata
Brown Belt

Postby MamaPata » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions of US/UK series that have decent dubbing into Russian - I don't enjoy most Russian series, and I hate hearing the English in dubs. I watch quite a lot of films and shorter videos on youtube, but it'd be nice to get my teeth back into a series. Anyone got any ideas?
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Study Groups”