East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (beginner)

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Sooo, apparently my previous post didn't get published :cry:

I just mentioned wanting to take part in writing a short story and wondered if anyone had any tips on Korean writing conventions.
And if someone would like to look at my story and point out any mistakes since I'm afraid of fossilising errors if they don't get pointed out to me.
2 x
Korean memrise stats: 1254 / 2000
Aesop and Korean folktales: 1 / 30
Once upon a time in Korea: 8 / 23
Yonsei Reading 2: 1 / 40
The restaurant of the family that hates reading: 11 / 123

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), dabbling in others

Postby eido » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Christi wrote:I just mentioned wanting to take part in writing a short story and wondered if anyone had any tips on Korean writing conventions.
And if someone would like to look at my story and point out any mistakes since I'm afraid of fossilising errors if they don't get pointed out to me.

I think italki would be the best place to get corrected. I don't know how many advanced Korean learners we have on this forum. Only two active ones I can think of. And no active native speakers.
1 x

samothin
White Belt
Languages: MS (N), EN (C2)*, ZH (A2)*, TA (-)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9013

Postby samothin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 am

humerusthings wrote:
Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!

I'm up for this challenge! Probably going to do it as part of my 6wc challenge. Since I'm still at beginner stage, I'll probably attempt to write 相声,crosstalk, which I think is achievable as it's a series of dialogues. This is also beneficial as one of my goals is to joke around in my target language.

Ok! I'm going to produce a short set by 30 November 2018.
1 x

samothin
White Belt

Postby samothin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:40 am

samothin wrote:
humerusthings wrote:
Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!

I'm up for this challenge! Probably going to do it as part of my 6wc challenge. Since I'm still at beginner stage, I'll probably attempt to write 相声,crosstalk, which I think is achievable as it's a series of dialogues. This is also beneficial as one of my goals is to joke around in my target language.

Ok! I'm going to produce a short set by 30 November 2018.

I finished writing my xiangsheng piece. https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15#p124359
2 x

samothin
White Belt

Postby samothin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 am

Hi guys, anyone looking for a simple challenge this December? I was thinking to improve my output by tweeting. Maybe 100 tweets in target language (i.e. Chinese). The logic is that I'll be forced to live more in my target language.

In that respect, I have also changed my phone's setting to Chinese. Even though I couldn't read most of the words , it's far easier than I imagined. I think it's because we instinctively use our phones.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”