East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
User avatar
Xenops
Blue Belt
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).
x 1707
Contact:

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Xenops » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Merrikay wrote:I’d like to join the group please! I study Japanese.:)


Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the group! :D I'm sure you can join: I don't think we have an official leader at this point.

And welcome to the madness of Japanese. ^^
1 x

Merrikay
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:15 pm
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (N5) (A1-A2)
x 9

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Merrikay » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Xenops wrote:
Merrikay wrote:I’d like to join the group please! I study Japanese.:)


Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the group! :D I'm sure you can join: I don't think we have an official leader at this point.

And welcome to the madness of Japanese. ^^


Thanks!:) Madness indeed, haha.
0 x

User avatar
eido
Blue Belt
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Languages: EN (N), ES (B1), others
x 1193

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby eido » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 am

I have committed to studying Korean for a future degree I want to obtain. A certain person has advised me this wouldn't be the best choice if I want to get fluent fast, but I know it is just by reading about the complexities of the language.

I don't have any time-bound goals since I'm trying to mainly focus on Spanish. I'm taking a leisurely approach at this point, by watching videos from a four-part course that was recommended on this forum recently. So far it's been half review. The hosts have pleasant voices and because the instruction is a bit more direct, I can get into it.

I hope to be B1 by the end of next year, but that might be too hopeful. I plan to finish this video series, then complete the set of college textbooks by Clare You.

I follow the Korean-learning logs on this forum pretty closely, but I'm always curious about what could give me a more structured method. This is my chance to redo my language instruction and self-learn, but I'm not very good at that. So if you have any pointers, I'm listening.

Why do I want to learn Korean? I want to brute force myself into something I wouldn't normally like. Simply by listening to k-pop songs over and over and exposing myself to the language, I've grown a soft spot for the language. It's smooth and sleek, but also sugary and sweet and I want to speak it well, even if only to myself. I also think it would be cool to translate English songs into Korean for people to cover, or Korean songs into Spanish for the same reason. More Koreans are realizing that Hispanics make up a large part of the k-pop fanbase, but I was wondering if I could translate tweets or videos for them with my skills. As part of my brute-forcing it, I want to learn more about Korean history and culture and dispel myths for myself about how Seoul is some bright techno capital. Every culture has its dark side, and I want to know it. I want to be informed and shake any koreabooness out of me.

So consider me joined.
1 x
"He's satisfied with himself. If you have a soul you can't be satisfied."
- Graham Greene (given to me by @reineke)

User avatar
ロータス
Blue Belt
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:33 pm
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8177
x 583

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby ロータス » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 am

eido wrote:I hope to be B1 by the end of next year, but that might be too hopeful. I plan to finish this video series, then complete the set of college textbooks by Clare You.

College Korean:
http://www.language.berkeley.edu/Korean/1/index.html
Int College Korean:
http://www.language.berkeley.edu/korean/10/
파이팅!
1 x
Reading in one language | Learn by Reading
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

samothin
White Belt
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:14 am
Languages: MS (N), EN (C2)*, ZH (A2)*, TA (-)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9013
x 58
Contact:

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby samothin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 am

Can I join this group for Mandarin Chinese? Also, what's the current monthly challenge? Thanks :D
0 x

User avatar
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:34 pm
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979
x 6028
Contact:

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby reineke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Christi wrote:
reineke wrote:18 pages of people joining the group...


I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?

I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.


The joiners...the joiners....

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/mi ... ompression
1 x

humerusthings
Yellow Belt
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 am
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2-B1), French (A1), Spanish (beginner to A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372
x 77

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby humerusthings » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 am

Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.


There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!
0 x
: 63 / 96 French Duolingo
: 3 / 40 Coffee Break French S2
: 50 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 9 / 60 Grammaire Progressive Du Francais
: 31 / 40 Yonsei Reading 2 (Korean)

User avatar
Xenops
Blue Belt
Posts: 960
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: Boston
Languages: English (N), Japanese (reviving A2), Nansha (constructing).
x 1707
Contact:

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Xenops » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:45 pm

samothin wrote:Can I join this group for Mandarin Chinese? Also, what's the current monthly challenge? Thanks :D


Welcome to the group, samothin. :D I'm sure you can join, we just don't have an official leader at this point.

As for the November challenge, well, I could try. ;) I probably need something like a short story to push my Japanese forward. So why not?
0 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 pm
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
x 144

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Christi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm

humerusthings wrote:
Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.


There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!
Last edited by Christi on Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
2019 resolution words learned: 257 / 1000
Yonsei Reading 2: 1 / 40
Essential Korean Reader: 3 / 18
Yonsei Reading 3: 0 / 30

User avatar
eido
Blue Belt
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Languages: EN (N), ES (B1), others
x 1193

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby eido » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 pm

reineke wrote:
The joiners...the joiners....

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/mi ... ompression

When I join, I usually join to stay. Whatever I start learning eventually will get learned to some level.
1 x
"He's satisfied with himself. If you have a soul you can't be satisfied."
- Graham Greene (given to me by @reineke)


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests