East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Re: East Asian Team - 2017~

Postby Woodsei » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm working on my Japanese, but haven't been posting much since I also have grad school and every free minute I have, which is not much, I try to get some language learning in. I think we could all just pitch in to support the team as opposed to leaving it all to just the leader. So, if ロータス is unable to post a challenge or update or whatever, someone else can. Thanks for your hard work, and wish you the best in New Zealand.
3 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

learn2more.languages
Languages: English (near native), Chinese (N), Japanese (beginner), Korean (not started yet)

Postby learn2more.languages » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:40 pm

I am starting to learn Japanese, just mastered kana (pronunciation and scripts), and my current strategy is to train my spelling, listening comprehension for Japanese pronunciation, and become fluent with reading and writing kana scripts, using Gabriel Wyner's Japanese Pronunciation Trainer Anki deck, and a free Youtube video course of Minna No Japanese foundation course grammars (lesson 1-50 of Minna No Nihongo textbook), as my main study path, supplemented by various youtube native Japanese language learning videos (e.x. Japanese Society NYC, JapanesePod101, etc.)

I would like to join the Japanese study group.

Thank you!

Edit: corrected one spelling error 7:26 PM July 6, 2017
2 x

Gudi
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (Advanced), Japanese (Beginner).

Postby Gudi » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Hey guys, may I join in Japanese?
1 x

brilliantyears
Green Belt
Languages: Dutch, English
Active: Japanese (JLPT N2~N1), Russian (B1)
Maintaining: German (?)
Low-key: Ainu, Mandarin (A2?)
Dropped: Arabic, Korean, French, Latin, classical Manchu, Norwegian, SLN
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19020

Postby brilliantyears » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:27 am

I'd like to join for Japanese and Korean :D And Mandarin too, I guess. I think it'd really help me to focus on languages consistently once in a while by writing an update, even if that update is "... oops I didn't do as much as I had planned" :)

I am currently mostly spending time on Korean. I'm taking evening classes and it's going really well overall. I think I want to take TOPIK 1 in November but I have no idea how achievable that's going to be.

My main language is Japanese though. Studied it in uni for a few years and spent a year in Japan. I'm between N2 and N1. I'm not really studying these days, just watching a lot of movies, some drama, and reading a bit here and there.

Mandarin is a different story. I haven't spent time on it for years and I don't think I will, but who knows. On hold for now.

My log is here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=1104 :)
1 x

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:42 am

Btw, i just found a program that lets you type in Mandarin AND Cantonese (using Jyutping):
http://www.rime.im/
It even works on Linux!
2 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:21 pm

It looks like, even though I would want to speed up my French learning, that my irresistible urge to study Japanese is here to stay for the time being. :lol: May I join the group? And in the absence of a leader, shall we just pick a monthly challenge?
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 am

Hi guys! I'd love to join for Korean :) Please count me in~!

I've been studying Korean about 2 years, took Basic Korean classes level 1 and 2 in a language center. Then I self studied until Sogang 3b. I love watching Korean dramas so that's hours of listening there! I'm kind of a Korean addict and own tons of Korean textbooks from the unis - Ewha, Yonsei, Sogang, and also the Korean Grammar in Use - Intermediate, which is an invaluable resource!

For resources - I found the Sogang textbooks the best for beginners cos it was really easy and logical to progress. Naver endic http://endic.naver.com/ was great too, if you download it on your phone you have a dictionary with you all the time! I personally found the Ehwa and Yonsei textbooks not as intuitive as the Sogang books but the Yonsei books are good for dense grammar points. Yonsei has a reading series which is really good too!

For free online resources - of course Talk to Me In Korean, and KoreanPod101 is good too.
Learning Korean through songs is a great idea too if one is into Korean songs (and they can be pretty enjoyable to listen to ;p)

Admittedly I'm on a french kick right now, but I don't want to lose my Korean progress!

I would really like to take the TOPIK someday. Just haven't got round to it cos the time has never been right (been having other exams for my studies etc at the exam times.)

Yes let's pick a monthly challenge! Any ideas anyone?
4 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

humerusthings
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Chinese (GCSE A levels), Korean (~A2?), French (A1), German (Beginner), Icelandic (Beginner).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7372

Postby humerusthings » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi guys, random question, was thinking about it, would anyone be interested in a Korean Study Group? :)
0 x
: 19 / 40 Coffee Break French S3
: 88 / 113 Assimil French With Ease
: 3 / 16 Easy French Step by Step
: 33 / 100 Assimil German With Ease
: 4 / 20 Easy German Step by Step

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:53 pm

Still here :) Studying Japanese, and Turkish! But I go to school, and it has been an intensive two years, and I just come home and want to roll in bed. I figured if I have any time and energy I might as well spend it studying the language. I want to get back to logging again, here and on my log, but I'm so exhausted most of the time. I'm hoping with the summer things will lighten up, but that's still a ways off. I still do visit the forum and read posts regularly, and it is always good to hear from you guys.
0 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 am

ロータス wrote:Doesnt really seem to be a point in making another one.

Although knocking the "2017" part out of the team name might be something we want to discuss over the next few days :-)
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Return to “Study Groups”