East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Xenops » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 am

Arnaud wrote:A naive question (sorry if it was already asked). What level do you have when you've completed LingoDeer Japanese or HelloChinese ? Any idea ?
A1 ? Less ?

No worries! I didn't know myself, actually. I did a quick search:

Xelian wrote:Hello friends,

I've been looking for resources to solidify my basic Korean and Mandarin, and happened to stumble across an app that was kind of a jackpot. It's called LingoDeer. It has basic to lower intermediate level Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese (which, is incredibly exciting for me) and additionally has some non-Asian languages out in their beta versions.

Anyway, just adding a super useful resource to all app users! I would recommend it for beginners, but you can also use the "test out" option and get to some higher levels WITHOUT going through the boring basics, if you are currently above beginner level!

Cheers,
-Xelian

devilyoudont wrote:Just to second the Lingodeer recommendation for beginners-- I tested both Lingodeer and Duolingo Japanese to see about which app is better to recommend to a beginner.

Lingodeer is hands down better.
-It includes grammar explanations in the app
-Even at my level, I was able to find numerous errors in the Duolingo course
-Lingodeer has plans to add more content. They are starting to advertise that future updates will take a learner up to about N3. So, once that happens, it will also take a beginner to a higher level than the Duolingo course

Are you going to join the craziness that is Japanese? :mrgreen:
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 am

Lingodeer announced that they are going to be adding material to their Japanese course this year. They are currently saying it will be up to N3 level

My estimation of the current courses for either Duolingo or Lingodeer would be N5.
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Xenops wrote:Are you going to join the craziness that is Japanese? :mrgreen:
I've been dabbling in Japanese for several years but the result has always been pathetic. Recently I've found that LingoDeer associated Cours de japonais ! (the grammar and kanji videos) were working rather well for me. LingoDeer is going at the right pace, the progression of the books I have is too steep for me. My hope is that when I finish LingoDeer I have enough ammo to tackle the "real" textbooks and don't give up after the second or third chapter :lol:
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Arnaud wrote:
Xenops wrote:Are you going to join the craziness that is Japanese? :mrgreen:
I've been dabbling in Japanese for several years but the result has always been pathetic. Recently I've found that LingoDeer associated Cours de japonais ! (the grammar and kanji videos) were working rather well for me. LingoDeer is going at the right pace, the progression of the books I have is too steep for me. My hope is that when I finish LingoDeer I have enough ammo to tackle the "real" textbooks and don't give up after the second or third chapter :lol:

That’s understandable: I felt like I needed the hand-holding when I took elementary Japanese in college. Now I feel more confident on my own. Ask us questions if you have any. :)
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Xenops wrote:
Xelian wrote:Hello friends,

I've been looking for resources to solidify my basic Korean and Mandarin, and happened to stumble across an app that was kind of a jackpot. It's called LingoDeer. It has basic to lower intermediate level Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese (which, is incredibly exciting for me) and additionally has some non-Asian languages out in their beta versions.

Anyway, just adding a super useful resource to all app users! I would recommend it for beginners, but you can also use the "test out" option and get to some higher levels WITHOUT going through the boring basics, if you are currently above beginner level!

Cheers,
-Xelian

Are you going to join the craziness that is Japanese? :mrgreen:

Definitely have been entirely crazy for 8 years, thanks to the amazing Japanese language haha! :D
0 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Haven't read all the recent posts but just wanted to pitch in that I think Lingodeer is great! They really cover a lot of grammar, explain things well and have enough exercises to put everything into practice. Really can hardly wait on their new update!
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:15 pm

Also, question for the Korean learners: do you guys know of any handouts, stories or videos to learn when to use which counting system?

I keep trying to remember the rules and end up forgetting about them because I just rarely encounter and use the counting systems.

Figured I'd check if you guys had any resources or tips.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:08 am

Christi wrote:Also, question for the Korean learners: do you guys know of any handouts, stories or videos to learn when to use which counting system?

I keep trying to remember the rules and end up forgetting about them because I just rarely encounter and use the counting systems.

For me, the best way to remember is practice. There are some free ebooks you can download (or view) from (in) official websites that come with exercises. For example, you can view the Sejong textbooks here: ebooks (you need to sign up, but it's free). There you can also find workbooks with audio (the ones in korean, the version in other languages doesn't seem to come with the audios). In the same website, but in a different part, you can find more textbooks and workbooks (the english and korean versions of the textbooks usually come with audio. And they also have transcriptions at the end): KOSNET Resource. If I'm not mistaken, all these books and workbooks come with answer sheets.

Here are other textbooks: EPS-TOPIK (Home > Support > textbook for EPS-TOPIK). The are two editions: the older one (written in korean only) and the revised one (that includes english translations). Both have audio.

And you can find more textbooks/resources in other korean websites (I don't have the links right now)--> usually government/educational related websites.

I would try to use the parts of these books that are related to counting in korean, do all the exercises and then check the answers. ;)
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:14 am

Christi wrote:Also, question for the Korean learners: do you guys know of any handouts, stories or videos to learn when to use which counting system?

I found useful this comment on reddit.
As for me, I just read and try to remember the context, I don't make a conscious effort to remember. (things I read: Korean graded readers, 연세 읽기, 이야기 scripts etc.)
0 x

Merrikay
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (N5) (A1-A2)

Postby Merrikay » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:33 pm

I’d like to join the group please! I study Japanese.:)
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”