East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby eido » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Christi wrote:I just mentioned wanting to take part in writing a short story and wondered if anyone had any tips on Korean writing conventions.
And if someone would like to look at my story and point out any mistakes since I'm afraid of fossilising errors if they don't get pointed out to me.

I think italki would be the best place to get corrected. I don't know how many advanced Korean learners we have on this forum. Only two active ones I can think of. And no active native speakers.
1 x

samothin
Yellow Belt
Languages: MS (N), EN (C2)*, ZH (B2)*, TA (A1)*
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9013

Postby samothin » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 am

humerusthings wrote:
Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!

I'm up for this challenge! Probably going to do it as part of my 6wc challenge. Since I'm still at beginner stage, I'll probably attempt to write 相声,crosstalk, which I think is achievable as it's a series of dialogues. This is also beneficial as one of my goals is to joke around in my target language.

Ok! I'm going to produce a short set by 30 November 2018.
1 x

samothin
Yellow Belt

Postby samothin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:40 am

samothin wrote:
humerusthings wrote:
Christi wrote:I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?
I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

There was reccently a new thread about NaNoWriMo, perhaps our Nov/Dec Challenge could be inspired by NaNoWrimo? :)

E.g Writing a short piece/story, fictional or otherwise maybe about 500-1000 words in the target language. Then we could either post it here in the forum (if that is allowed), or post a link to it.

If anyone's up for it!

I'm up for this challenge! Probably going to do it as part of my 6wc challenge. Since I'm still at beginner stage, I'll probably attempt to write 相声,crosstalk, which I think is achievable as it's a series of dialogues. This is also beneficial as one of my goals is to joke around in my target language.

Ok! I'm going to produce a short set by 30 November 2018.

I finished writing my xiangsheng piece. https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15#p124359
2 x

samothin
Yellow Belt

Postby samothin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:19 am

Hi guys, anyone looking for a simple challenge this December? I was thinking to improve my output by tweeting. Maybe 100 tweets in target language (i.e. Chinese). The logic is that I'll be forced to live more in my target language.

In that respect, I have also changed my phone's setting to Chinese. Even though I couldn't read most of the words , it's far easier than I imagined. I think it's because we instinctively use our phones.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:37 am

OK, thought this was funny. And could apply to so many languages.

19 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

thevagrant88
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1) Japanese (FU)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14564#top

Postby thevagrant88 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:44 pm

So I just watched The Raid and The Raid 2 and I'm pretty certain I need Indonesian in my life now :lol:.

In fact, I can pinpoint the precise moment I made this decision.

Any recommendations for courses? I assume the Assimil and Linguaphones are good but I'm curious what else is out there. Thanks guys!
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:25 pm

thevagrant88 wrote:So I just watched The Raid and The Raid 2 and I'm pretty certain I need Indonesian in my life now :lol:.

In fact, I can pinpoint the precise moment I made this decision.

Any recommendations for courses? I assume the Assimil and Linguaphones are good but I'm curious what else is out there. Thanks guys!

Don't they speak Thai in this film?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

thevagrant88
Orange Belt

Postby thevagrant88 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:39 pm

Nope! Indonesian films by a Welsh director. The second one has some Japanese and English sprinkled in, but the entire cast is Indonesian and the films take place in Jakarta.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:56 pm

thevagrant88 wrote:So I just watched The Raid and The Raid 2 and I'm pretty certain I need Indonesian in my life now :lol:.

Thanks for reminding me of these films! (I saw the first one some years ago but for some reason never got to watch the second - I have both of them in my collection. I believe that the lead actors' background in silat is what drew me to the films.)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

thevagrant88
Orange Belt

Postby thevagrant88 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:36 pm

So opinions seem divided, but I can pretty comfortably say that I like the sequel better. I won't drone on about it since this is supposed to be a language discussion, but get that in your life ASAP!
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”