East Asian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: East Asian Study Group

Postby Christi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:36 am

reineke wrote:18 pages of people joining the group...

I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?

I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.
0 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:04 am

Is there anyone who can give me the link to download the Japanese versions of one of those:
1. MS Paint Tutorial
2. MS Power Point Tutorial
3. Corel Draw Tutorial
4. In Design Tutorial
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Christi wrote:

I think this might be because there are just too many different languages in this group which makes it more difficult to really focus on a particular topic or start challenges etc?

I'd be game for doing something as a group but don't think there's a lot of demand for it.

That's an interesting idea...It seems most people focus on just one East Asian language, and not multiple. There's also groups for specific languages like French and Setswana. I could start a Japanese one.
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Xenops wrote:
Christi wrote:

That's an interesting idea...It seems most people focus on just one East Asian language, and not multiple. There's also groups for specific languages like French and Setswana. I could start a Japanese one.

I still find this group to be useful, especially the resources post. Some of us do study multiple East Asian languages, so this is maybe more of a tribute/celebration of those who live with that struggle, while also being an open resource to others who only study one.

As for the demand for challenges and focusing on a specific topic, etc, it is a bit harder especially with all of us having our own lives to tend to. I think now that it's summer things might be able to pick up again!!!

On another note, I'm a little late on this one, but my goal for July (and a few months following that) is to study for the JLPT N2.
This summer I've been resurfacing my horrible Korean and learning some very basic Mandarin (which has been a lot of fun). Additionally, I watched a Japanese movie without subtitles and got the majority of what was happening, I've been learning some stray words, and I've been having short conversations in Japanese. The problem is the person who most often uses Japanese with me code switches Japanese and English and it's very frustrating to keep focused.... Code switching is quite a skill.

I hope everyone is having a good summer!
6 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

peterbeischmidt
Yellow Belt

Postby peterbeischmidt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:07 pm

I've been studying Vietnamese for about two months now, mostly using Assimil's Le Vietnamien sans Peine and an older textbook published by Buske which hasn't been in print for a while. I always review the lessons on my commute and listen to the recordings that came with the two books. I've also been listening to a lot of Vietnamese music, here are some random ones that I liked:

Who else is studying Vietnamese around here?
3 x

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Hello friends,

I've been looking for resources to solidify my basic Korean and Mandarin, and happened to stumble across an app that was kind of a jackpot. It's called LingoDeer. It has basic to lower intermediate level Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese (which, is incredibly exciting for me) and additionally has some non-Asian languages out in their beta versions.

Anyway, just adding a super useful resource to all app users! I would recommend it for beginners, but you can also use the "test out" option and get to some higher levels WITHOUT going through the boring basics, if you are currently above beginner level!

Cheers,
-Xelian
3 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Just to second the Lingodeer recommendation for beginners-- I tested both Lingodeer and Duolingo Japanese to see about which app is better to recommend to a beginner.

Lingodeer is hands down better.
-It includes grammar explanations in the app
-Even at my level, I was able to find numerous errors in the Duolingo course
-Lingodeer has plans to add more content. They are starting to advertise that future updates will take a learner up to about N3. So, once that happens, it will also take a beginner to a higher level than the Duolingo course
4 x

indeclinable
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), German (C1), Latin (C1), French (B2), Ancient Greek (B1), Italian (A2).

Want to study: Japanese & Russian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8803

Postby indeclinable » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:43 am

Japanese newbie here:

Is there a comprehensive list of basic words that are written in Hiragana (mainly because of lack of Kanji or because in mainstream media it's simple done "because")?

While surfing around beginners materials and websites (like this one or this one) I managed to catch some, but as a teacher I have to say I'm quite disappointed that such a resource is not more easily available as it would help immensely those of us that are still learning Hiragana and Katakana, specially to practice fast reading and identifying/memorizing words.

Is there an exercises book or page where transcription from Romaji to Hiragana/Katana exercises are available? (I'm thinking of something like this but you know, with more exercises).

Is anyone aware of Katakana to Hiragana and vice versa transcription exercises?
0 x
Omnis lingua usu potius discitur quam praeceptis, id est audiendo, legendo, relegendo, imitationem manu et lingua temptando quam creberrime. – Iohannes Amos Comenius

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:04 pm

indeclinable wrote:Japanese newbie here:

Is there a comprehensive list of basic words that are written in Hiragana (mainly because of lack of Kanji or because in mainstream media it's simple done "because")?

While surfing around beginners materials and websites (like this one or this one) I managed to catch some, but as a teacher I have to say I'm quite disappointed that such a resource is not more easily available as it would help immensely those of us that are still learning Hiragana and Katakana, specially to practice fast reading and identifying/memorizing words.

Is there an exercises book or page where transcription from Romaji to Hiragana/Katana exercises are available? (I'm thinking of something like this but you know, with more exercises).

Is anyone aware of Katakana to Hiragana and vice versa transcription exercises?

Good morning, and welcome to the madness joy that is Japanese. :)

I am sad to say that there really isn't a resource that gives you all of the hiragana and katakana words as your foundation--at least, not that I know of. I remember seeing the advice "learn all three writing systems at the beginning of your studies", and I have found this to be true: so much is written with kanji that not knowing them will only hinder your progress. In Japan, since the kids don't know all of the kanji until high school, they have many graded readers where kanji is introduced slowly and most everything is written in hiragana. But this reading material is only geared towards kids. In shounen and shojo manga, you will find dialogues written in kanji, but in smaller font you will find the reading of the kanji in hiragana. These are called furigana, and you buy a furigana dictionary to aid your looking up kanji words.

As for learning hiragana and katakana, I like this book: but before you balk at the price, please note the used book price. ;) I really like this book because it builds up the use of the syllabaries; for example, you learn how to write "Sue" (スー) and then "Sue Lee" (スー・リー), and you reuse the ones you learned. For kanji, my favorite book (that I'm using currently) is Let's Learn Kanji, where instead of memorizing all 2,000 kanji, you learn the 200+ radicals, and thus making the kanji more approachable.

I hope this answered your questions. :)

Edit: Here is an Astroids-type game for hiragana and katakana: http://www.valiantls.com/games-for-learning-japanese.html I can get to a high level with hiragana, but the katakana ソ、ツ、ン always trip me up.

edit: spelling.
Last edited by Xenops on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 pm

indeclinable wrote:Japanese newbie here:

https://babadum.com/ is a website for learning vocabulary in a large number of languages using a matching game. The Japanese version is kanji free.

That said, the reason resources for kana only study don't exist in significant quantity is because text written only in hiragana or katakana is very hard to read, even for native Japanese speakers. The effect of a full paragraph written in hiragana is sometimes compared to seeing a text of similar length in English without any spaces.
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”