German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Re: German group

Postby Cèid Donn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:57 am

Maiwenn wrote:The forum book club will be reading Metro 2033 in February and I will be reading the German translation. Naturally, I would love the company of other German readers. In case you'd be interested in joining us, check out the group page here (queued to the page where February's read will likely begin).

I think I will join you. I need something to get me working on my German review and this seems perfect. The German e-book version is available on Amazon.com (and currently on sale) for us here in the US, so that works for me!
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

lordwea123
Languages: Spanish (N), English (), German (beginner)

Postby lordwea123 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:24 am

Hello guys, haven't posted here in a while. I'm now in a 2 months long vacation and I'm thinking of spending some of my time perfecting my german. I'm thinking about reading one of Hölderlin's shorter poems a day, translating them and making an interlinear translation of sorts as a way to study. Is anyone interested in joining me? I think one doubt I have is wether I should post my progress in here, make a new thread on the study groups forum or making a thread somewhere else so I can get feeback and help in what I'm trying to accomplish. My german is pretty rudimentary right now but I hope that it gets good enough through this little excercise.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:21 pm

https://www.kika.de/sonntagsmaerchen/sendung111706.html

Rumpelstilzchen

airing:

12:00 Uhr

Der junge König Michael sucht eine Frau. Er lernt die Müllerstochter Marie kennen und verliebt sich in sie. Doch sein geldgieriger Erster Minister entführt die junge Frau und hält sie gefangen. Marie soll Stroh zu Gold spinnen. Ein kleines Männchen vollbringt für sie das Wunder. Als Lohn für seine Arbeit verlangt das Rumpelstilzchen das erste Kind des schönen Mädchens.
2 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 pm

I was having difficulty looking up some sayings and idioms in a grammar book I am working through, until I found http://www.redensarten-index.de - it's a pretty comprehensive database of German expressions, in most cases including information about meaning, examples of usage, and some background information about the origins of the saying.
6 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Klett Group to buy Langenscheidt

Philipp Haußmann, great-grandson of the Stuttgart publishing legend Ernst Klett and head of the publishing group of the same name, is very familiar with dictionaries. When he began his career in the family business in the mid-1990s, he rose early to the position of editor-in-chief of his own dictionary publishing house - and expanded the green brand "Pons" to number two on the German market.

But that's obviously not enough for Haußmann: as has now become known, the Klett Group wants to take over its dictionary competitor Langenscheidt. This emerges from a statement issued by the German Federal Cartel Office on Friday according to which the competition authorities are currently "indirectly acquiring significant assets of Langenscheidt GmbH & Co. KG and Langenscheidt Digital GmbH & Co. KG". The "Welt am Sonntag" reported on this first.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Mit Wörterbüchern kennt sich Philipp Haußmann, Urenkel der Stuttgarter Verlegerlegende Ernst Klett und Chef der gleichnamigen Verlagsgruppe, bestens aus. Als er seine Karriere Mitte der 90er-Jahre im Familienunternehmen begann, stieg er früh zum Redaktionsleiter des eigenen Wörterbuchverlags auf – und baute die grüne Marke „Pons“ zur Nummer zwei auf dem deutschen Markt aus.

Doch das ist Haußmann offenbar nicht genug: Wie nun bekannt wurde, will die Klett-Gruppe den Wörterbuch-Konkurrenten Langenscheidt übernehmen. Das geht aus einer Mitteilung des Bundeskartellamts vom Freitag hervor, wonach die Wettbewerbshüter derzeit den „mittelbaren Erwerb wesentlicher Vermögensteile der Langenscheidt GmbH & Co. KG und der Langenscheidt Digital GmbH & Co. KG“ prüfen. Die „Welt am Sonntag“ berichtete zuerst darüber.
0 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Kraut wrote:Klett Group to buy Langenscheidt
Now I really, really didn't expect something like that. If Klett does buy Langenscheidt, I wonder if they will change some things in new editions of L.'s books. Because there are some learning method/style/etc. differences between them and those of Klett/PONS. The latter feel a bit more fresh to me, while I associate Langenscheidt with a very oldschool approach that is heavily based on theoretical grammar. Yes, they have got some practical things too, no doubt. Also, it is not my intention to spawn any discussion on the methods of the two labels. I am simply surprised by these news.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am

Speakeasy wrote:
Intermediate German Readers
While I recognize that teaching approaches evolve, I am quite partial to vintage language-learning materials.

Publishers of Parallel Text / Dual-Language German-English Readers (translations without notes)
Generally speaking, the short stories and extracts from longer works that are included in dual-language readers are most often designed for “advanced” leaners. I purchased just about everything that the publishers listed below produced. I was at the “intermediate” level when I began collecting my set and, at the time, I found that they were simply too advanced for me. This is the reason why I began searching for intermediate readers and ultimately settled on the ones listed above, amongst others.
I've found that the Goethe Institut's eLibrary has a number of graded readers in eBook form: Hueber, Ernst Klett Verlag and Cornelsen Schulverlage are the publishers. "Lektüren" "Tatort DaF" and "Lextra" are search terms that should work to search the eLibrary catalogue.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Books for 99 cent

Bücher & Artikel bis 99 Cent

Besonders günstige Restposten. Nur solange der Vorrat reicht.

https://www.terrashop.de/eineuro.php?li ... seite_nr=3
1 x

xjtorerox
Languages: Spanish (N), Portuguese (B2), English (C1), German (Beginner)

Postby xjtorerox » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

Hallo,

I got a book calles "Mastering German" by Peck released in 1982 by McMillan. Unfortunately I couldn't get the audio for this book. Since the book is old, the audio comes in tapes.

Does anyone knows where can I get the audio files?
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Is there a german language book-tracking website like goodreads.com? (For french books I use babelio.com).
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”