German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: German group

Postby patrickwilken » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:54 am

It's great there is a German group here!

By way of introductions: I am Australian, living Berlin, with a German wife and three year old daughter. Although I speak mostly German with my daughter, I only ever speak English with my wife (we've tried multiple times to switch, but it's just the language we use). As I work from home, most of my spoken experiences are in English although I only speak German outside the house (mostly with other parents at my daughter's Kita or when I go shopping and the like - which quite often means I am speaking German to a shop assistant who speaks worse German than me).

After a couple of false starts, where I tried to learn German via standard classes, I stumbled upon HTLAL about five years ago, and started the first Super Challenge when my German around A1. I got totally into using native materials to learn. I have done tests to see my ability but I guess I am somewhere in B2-C1 level. Over the last year I have been having a bit of a holiday reading English books and watching non-dubbed English TV/movies, but it's time for me to get back into German. :)
2 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:40 am

Sahmilat wrote:...German books with English notes

Would bilingual books fit your needs? You could just search Amazon.de for "zweisprachige Ausgabe Englisch Deutsch" or simply "zweisprachig Englisch Deutsch" and you'll get a good overview of what's available.
1 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Navik
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Catalan (N), English (C1), German (C1), Finnish (B2), French (B1.2), Russian (A2), Italian (A1) - Future: Portuguese and Swedish.

Postby Navik » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:45 am

patrickwilken wrote:It's great there is a German group here!

By way of introductions: I am Australian, living Berlin, with a German wife and three year old daughter. Although I speak mostly German with my daughter, I only ever speak English with my wife (we've tried multiple times to switch, but it's just the language we use). As I work from home, most of my spoken experiences are in English although I only speak German outside the house (mostly with other parents at my daughter's Kita or when I go shopping and the like - which quite often means I am speaking German to a shop assistant who speaks worse German than me).

After a couple of false starts, where I tried to learn German via standard classes, I stumbled upon HTLAL about five years ago, and started the first Super Challenge when my German around A1. I got totally into using native materials to learn. I have done tests to see my ability but I guess I am somewhere in B2-C1 level. Over the last year I have been having a bit of a holiday reading English books and watching non-dubbed English TV/movies, but it's time for me to get back into German. :)

Hi Patrik! Willkommen!

I just read your post and I'm curious as to why you speak German to your daughter if English, as stated in your profile, is your mother tongue. I mean, don't get me wrong, I totally understand it must be a personal decision, but is there any specific reason to do so?
0 x
All corrections are welcome.

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Postby patrickwilken » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:54 am

Navik wrote:I just read your post and I'm curious as to why you speak German to your daughter if English, as stated in your profile, is your mother tongue. I mean, don't get me wrong, I totally understand it must be a personal decision, but is there any specific reason to do so?

Actually I speak both, but mostly German when I am out-and-about with her. She's German and German is her first language so it's natural for me to speak that with her, especially as she mostly speaks only German at the moment. She is growing up in an English speaking house, and largely watches English TV so I suspect she'll start speaking more English over time. Her comprehension of English is very good.

My natural tendency now is to speak German with people other than my wife. It feels a bit odd when I am on the street and switch to English because the other person's German is not strong enough. I am much more fluent in English, but it somehow feels wrong to be speaking it. :)
0 x

German Spanish

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 am

Living in Germany.

The what's the Ideal Job when you live abroad to learn your Target language? thread has some good suggestions specific to Germany.
0 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:42 am

patrickwilken wrote:It's great there is a German group here!

By way of introductions: I am Australian, living Berlin, with a German wife and three year old daughter.

Welcome to the group. Berlin is one of my favorite cities. You are a lucky guy to have such a wonderful place to call "home."
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt

Postby patrickwilken » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:44 am

M23 wrote:Welcome to the group. Berlin is one of my favorite cities. You are a lucky guy to have such a wonderful place to call "home."

Of course, like most true Berliners I probably don't appreciate it enough.
0 x

German Spanish

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:19 pm

There's a UK shoe retail chain called 'Schuh'.

I had thought that was just an amusing phonetic spelling of 'shoe'; now I learn it's also the german word for shoe! :-)
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:46 pm

subtitled documentary

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/37-gra ... t-100.html

37 Grad - Lehrer am Limit

Sie wollen Wissen vermitteln, haben studiert, Erfahrungen und Ideale. Doch vieles ist anders geworden im Schulalltag: Lehrer sind im Dauerstress.
0 x

AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Postby AlOlaf » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Kraut wrote:subtitled documentary

https://www.zdf.de/dokumentation/37-gra ... t-100.html

37 Grad - Lehrer am Limit

Sie wollen Wissen vermitteln, haben studiert, Erfahrungen und Ideale. Doch vieles ist anders geworden im Schulalltag: Lehrer sind im Dauerstress.

Das ist ja schrecklich. Die armen Lehrer. Kein Wunder, dass es in Deutschland an Lehrkräften mangelt. Wer würde sich einer solchen Belastung aussetzen wollen? Was ist Deiner Meinung nach die Lösung?

That's terrible.The poor teachers. It's no wonder there's a shortage of teachers in Germany. Who would want to subject themselves to such stress? What do you think the solution is?
0 x
Corrections welcome!

Return to “Study Groups”