German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Re: German group

Postby Fortheo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:55 pm

First post in this thread everyone. I'm not sure if I'm even "learning" German now--it sort of just snuck into my days recently--but I've been going through Duolingo's German course and I have to say it's the best Duolingo course I've tried thus far.

Usually with Duolingo courses I become frustrated with the scarce grammar notes and I find it really difficult to learn with Duolingo as a complete beginner, but with German so far all the grammar is just clicking. I don't know if it's because this Duolingo course is better than others I've messed around with, or if German just seems more logical to me.

Anyways, it's only been three weeks so I may be speaking too soon here, but Duolingo is fun and useful this far!
2 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 pm

DaveBee wrote:German DVDs with english & german subtitles. Can you suggest any others?

I don't want to sound like a broken record but have you considered by using MediathekView? Filter for subtitles and get thousands of videos (documentaries, movies and tv series) with perfect German subtitles. Now and then you even get Hollywood movies such as Cloud Atlas and Only Lovers Left Alive dubbed with perfect subtitles. It will be tricky to find English translations but you could go the Google Translate route and simply paste the transcript there to get a decent translation.

I considered using Subs2srs to learn German a while back, creating decks for Spirited Away and Die Welle. Then I tried with another dozen movies or so but had trouble finding matching subtitles so I gave up. Now I know about this kind of software so I'm currently gathering episodes to do Subs2srs in French.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Stefan wrote:
DaveBee wrote:German DVDs with english & german subtitles. Can you suggest any others?

I don't want to sound like a broken record but have you considered by using MediathekView? Filter for subtitles and get thousands of videos (documentaries, movies and tv series) with perfect German subtitles. Now and then you even get Hollywood movies such as Cloud Atlas and Only Lovers Left Alive dubbed with perfect subtitles. It will be tricky to find English translations but you could go the Google Translate route and simply paste the transcript there to get a decent translation.

I considered using Subs2srs to learn German a while back, creating decks for Spirited Away and Die Welle. Then I tried with another dozen movies or so but had trouble finding matching subtitles so I gave up. Now I know about this kind of software so I'm currently gathering episodes to do Subs2srs in French.

I've done Run Lola Run (DE/EN), Oblivion (DE/EN), Ghost Dog (DE/EN), Die Große illusion (DE/FR), The Dark Valley (DE/EN) ...
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Stefan wrote:

I've never used Subs2scrs before, I'm hoping that if I use a DVD already set up with the two required sets of subtitles things will go smoothly.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:04 pm

DaveBee wrote:
Stefan wrote:

I've never used Subs2scrs before, I'm hoping that if I use a DVD already set up with the two required sets of subtitles things will go smoothly.

Subs2srs cuts down a movie to only dialog and allows you to set it up as cards in Anki to test your understanding. So basically you run through the dialog a dozen times or more as cards. Without entering it manually.
2 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 am

Speakeasy wrote:
DaveBee wrote: I was doing some window shopping the other day, and came across German quickly: a grammar for reading German. A lot of the customer reviews seem to be theological students, is this one you've used at all?
I have a large collection of books/courses ...

My collection is too large to list all of the titles under this post. Perhaps the question of combined Readers/Grammars and the matter of the transition from learning to speak German to learning to read the language should be part of a separate discussion thread, to be logged outside of this study group.

This is just to add two books to the list:

German for Reading (2nd ed) by Sandberg & Wendel:
https://www.amazon.com/German-Reading-S ... X/ref=oosr
This is a revised edition of Sandberg's original book which is now out of print. This book is similar to his other books, French for Reading and Spanish for Reading. Along with April Wilson's German Quickly (mentioned above), this seems to be one of the more popular books among students and independent learners.

Allemand: Lire les textes:
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2804162362/ref ... 22YK5L4D3F
I don't have this French-based book but it looks useful (from the preview). However, a new edition is planned in September:
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/2807313280/ref ... CV2Z1N7XVU

Re: Jannach’s German for Reading Knowledge
I don't own this book but the latest edition (7th) doesn't mention Jannach on the cover. The title of the sixth edition was Jannach's German for Reading Knowledge but only Richard Alan Korb is given as the author. Are there significant differences between the editions? Latest edition from Cengage is expensive.

By the way, a separate discussion thread on this subject would be great.
Edited to correct April Wilson's name.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:03 pm

Just an FYI - 3 seasons of türkisch für Anfänger is on Netflix currently. I'm not sure how long it will be available and in which countries, but as of now it's there for subscribers with US billing addresses.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:52 pm

aokoye wrote:Just an FYI - 3 seasons of türkisch für Anfänger is on Netflix currently. I'm not sure how long it will be available and in which countries, but as of now it's there for subscribers with US billing addresses.

Also available for Germany Netflix and I've been enjoying it.
1 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 pm

aokoye wrote:Just an FYI - 3 seasons of türkisch für Anfänger is on Netflix currently. I'm not sure how long it will be available and in which countries, but as of now it's there for subscribers with US billing addresses.

Amazing - the German site also has matching subtitles which was impossible to find when I tried a few months ago. Same goes for Der Tatortreiniger and Stromberg. It's painfully clear to me that I've underestimated the quality of Netflix.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Stefan wrote:

Amazing - the German site also has matching subtitles which was impossible to find when I tried a few months ago. Same goes for Der Tatortreiniger and Stromberg. It's painfully clear to me that I've underestimated the quality of Netflix.

I use a VPN to place myself in Portugal so that I can get the Portuguese dubbing and subtitle....
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”