German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: German group

Postby reineke » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 pm

1 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:47 am

Here're some links to free online videos with good to excellent German subtitles (i.e. not auto-generated crap). Many of you probably know about a few of these already and some have been mentioned in the forum but I don't see the harm in putting up links for several of them in one post in this thread. Like a lot of learners, I've always preferred subtitles to dubbing and especially like it when I can turn on subtitles in the same language as the speaker(s) to get a running transcript and then turn them off so that I can focus on just listening and watching the action in the original language.

German news shows or documentaries/educational videos

- Easy German
- Y-Kollektiv
- Dinge erklärt - Kurzgesagt
- logo! - Kindernachrichten (you can toggle the German subtitles for most broadcasts, which are offered for the last 7 days on a rolling basis)
- Online Focus
- Titel, Thesen, Temparamente
- Deutschland von Oben
- German Story - Where we come from? (English and German subtitles available)
- Deutschlandfunk Nova (most videos have German subtitles)
- Cultural Interviews with International Business Executives - German

German shows that aren't news or documentaries

- Nicos Weg 1 (A1), Nicos Weg 2 (A2) & Nicos Weg 3 (B1) (telenovela for learners by DW)
- Jojo sucht das Glück (B1-B2) (telenovela for learners by DW)
- Berlin, Berlin (series from the early 2000s)
- Extr@ auf Deutsch (series for learners that mimics "Friends")
- Heute Show (something like a German version of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert")

Shows/channels in English

- Kurzgesagt - in a Nutshell (The English version of the original Dinge erklärt - Kurzgesagt listed above. Most of the videos have German subtitles, in addition to those of other languages)
- Extra History (Watch whichever episode/playlist seems most interesting. Most of the videos have German subtitles from fans, in addition to those of other languages)
- Maangchi (This is a popular channel for Korean cuisine. Most of the recipe-videos have German subtitles from fans, in addition to those of other languages)

In general, look up videos with "deutsche Untertiteln" or "German subtitles", and you should get some hits.

I know that you can also turn on the German subtitles for many shows/movies on DVDs or Netflix although those aren't usually free.
12 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Today I listened to a recent podcast from the SWR2 Wissen series which I am pretty sure will be of interest to a number of people here: Latein fördert logisches Denken? Mythen vom Fremdsprachenerwerb
3 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:22 am

Kraut wrote:For the fun inbetween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rGM3SeaYc

Maybe you can share your thoughts on this one. I like the fact that I can see lips clearly when pronouncing the words, it looks like the captions work well too. The YouTuber speaks slowly, which helps at my level, and the grammar points are not very important. I am must concerned about clear speech, intonation, and stress, to listen and mimic.

She uses body language to show the rhythm and the stress by moving her head and hands as she speaks for emphasis.

Thanks.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm

mentecuerpo wrote:
Kraut wrote:For the fun inbetween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rGM3SeaYc

Maybe you can share your thoughts on this one. I like the fact that I can see lips clearly when pronouncing the words, it looks like the captions work well too. The YouTuber speaks slowly, which helps at my level, and the grammar points are not very important. I am must concerned about clear speech, intonation, and stress, to listen and mimic.

She uses body language to show the rhythm and the stress by moving her head and hands as she speaks for emphasis.

Thanks.

This is didactic speech which has implications, all is ok for that register but would not be in normal speech, because it is too slow, vowels get lengthened ..
You have it more clearly here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itn4WTLm6pI
------------
Have a look at her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJml8rJr8M
There are South-American subtitles
Last edited by Kraut on Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Kraut wrote:This is didactic speech which has implications, all is ok for that register but would not be in normal speech, because it is too slow, vowels get lengthened ...
You're of course right, but maybe German language students actually appreciate her slightly over-enunciated German.
0 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Guten Morgen Leute, wie geht's? Ich wollte euch eine Frage stellen. Im Augenblick bin ich auf der Suche nach einigen guten Übungshefte zwischen B2 und C1, Bücher durch die ich grammatikalische Eigenschaften üben kann. Je mehr Übungen die Bücher haben, desto besser. Ich habe schon vor sechs Monaten oder so Intermediate German von Routledge getan, und ich habe es ziemlich einfach gefunden. Also ich suche etwas ein bisschen gründlicher und ausführlicher. Wenn ihr irgendeine Vorschläge oder Erfahrung habt, sagt mir mal bitte Bescheid. Vielen dank im Voraus.
0 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:19 am

I can recommend both parts of Sag’s besser! by Hans Földeak. I finished my second run through the first one and I’m in the middle of the second. They were written to prepare foreign students for studies at German universities(source: Sag’s besser! Teil 1 page 8). As such they are quite challenging. The exercises are mainly about building or transforming whole sentences, or parts of them. They are meant as exercise books so don’t offer explanations. I consider them as grammar books for grown-ups-there are no color pictures inside, it’s just exercises vs you :) But after going through the first one almost two times I’m a changed man(as far as language abilities are concerned :) ) Good luck!
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:22 am

Chmury wrote:Guten Morgen Leute, wie geht's? Ich wollte euch eine Frage stellen. Im Augenblick bin ich auf der Suche nach einigen guten Übungshefte zwischen B2 und C1, Bücher durch die ich grammatikalische Eigenschaften üben kann. Je mehr Übungen die Bücher haben, desto besser. Ich habe schon vor sechs Monaten oder so Intermediate German von Routledge getan, und ich habe es ziemlich einfach gefunden. Also ich suche etwas ein bisschen gründlicher und ausführlicher. Wenn ihr irgendeine Vorschläge oder Erfahrung habt, sagt mir mal bitte Bescheid. Vielen dank im Voraus.

Ich empfehle C-Grammatik: Übungsgrammatik Deutsch als Fremdsprache, Sprachniveau C1/C2 - ein Arbeitsheft ohne Schnickschnack.

Außer den Bändern "Sag's besser!" (die sind auch sehr gut), gibt es auch Grammatik aktiv: B2/C1 - Verstehen, Üben, Sprechen: Übungsgrammatik mit Audios online und Deutsch üben - Wortschatz & Grammatik C1
5 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:10 am

Riesiges Dankeschön Hedgehog und Chung, ihr habt mir viel geholfen damit. Die Bücher die ihr empfohlen habt sehen perfekt aus und ich werde sie gerne nachschauen. Einen schönen Tag noch!
0 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Return to “Study Groups”