German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: German group

Postby Kraut » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:59 pm

https://unterrichten.digital/2023/01/20 ... Wortschatz

ChatGPT im Unterricht (Fremdsprachen) – 25 Praxisbeispiele für ChatGPT als Lern- und Unterrichtsassistent

Viel ist in den letzten Monaten über die Ende November veröffentlichte KI-App ChatGPT geschrieben worden - dabei reicht die Bandbreite von euphorischen Einschätzungen bis hin zu ganz pragmatischen Ansätzen. Und genau darum soll es auch in diesem Blogbeitrag am Beispiel des Fremdsprachenunterrichts gehen: Welches Potential bietet ChatGPT für das Lernen unserer Schülerinnen und Schüler und für uns als Lehrpersonen? Entscheidend für eine gute "Zusammenarbeit" mit ChatGPT sind "Prompts" (Eingaben / Aufforderungen), von denen ich hier zahlreiche praxiserprobte Beispiele vorstellen möchte.

ChatGPT in the classroom (foreign languages) - 25 practical examples of ChatGPT as a learning and teaching assistant

Much has been written in recent months about the AI app ChatGPT, which was released at the end of November - ranging from euphoric assessments to very pragmatic approaches. And that's exactly what this blog post is about, using the example of foreign language teaching: What potential does ChatGPT offer for the learning of our students and for us as teachers? Crucial for a good "collaboration" with ChatGPT are "prompts", of which I would like to present numerous tried and tested examples here.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
0 x

Enigma
Languages: Russian (N), English(?), German (beginner)

Postby Enigma » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi all! I'm currently begin to learn German. Also I'm new to this forum. Please, tell me - is it appropriate place to ask some dumb questions to native Germans (and other educated persons)?
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:32 pm

For someone (myself, I'm not asking for a friend :P ) who has the older (2006) version of Begegnungen, is there any reason to upgrade to the newer version I see that has come out recently?
Like are there changes for the better that make it significantly better than the old edition? I can't imagine that being the case and thus I should be fine with the edition I have, but just to make sure I thought I'd ask.

Is the amount of vocabulary that is given in the glossar for any given Kapitel still massive? I can remember a good number of items given in the old version. Something like 100+ words, if I remember correctly.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:52 pm

księżycowy wrote:For someone (myself, I'm not asking for a friend :P ) who has the older (2006) version of Begegnungen, is there any reason to upgrade to the newer version I see that has come out recently?

Interesting that they've done a new addition of Begegnungen - I'd assumed this was being replaced by Spektrum which was released by the same publisher/authors a few years ago.

Anyway, as someone who used the older edition, I've taken a look at the sample chapter of the new edition and I would say that unless you are desperate for colour photographs and downloadable mp3 files of the audio recordings, the older version will be just fine. The structure and content are all very similar. It's a good course. (I wish there were other courses like it for other languages...)

By Glossar do you mean the separate booklet? I bought this for the A1 volume and in the end didn't really need it - it was generally just easier to look up what I needed on linguee.de as and when necessary. At the end of each chapter in the textbook there is a much shorter and more targeted list of vocabulary under the heading "wichtige Redemittel".
3 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt

Postby Doitsujin » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:59 pm

Enigma wrote:Please, tell me - is it appropriate place to ask some dumb questions to native Germans (and other educated persons)?
There are no dumb questions! Ask away! :)
3 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:11 pm

gsbod wrote:Interesting that they've done a new addition of Begegnungen - I'd assumed this was being replaced by Spektrum which was released by the same publisher/authors a few years ago.

Anyway, as someone who used the older edition, I've taken a look at the sample chapter of the new edition and I would say that unless you are desperate for colour photographs and downloadable mp3 files of the audio recordings, the older version will be just fine. The structure and content are all very similar. It's a good course. (I wish there were other courses like it for other languages...)

Yeah, I was interested to see a new edition come out as well. It seemed odd, concidering I thought along the same lines as you: that Spektrum Deutsch was replacing Begegnungen. I like Spektrum as well, but the lack of a firm bi-lingual glossary for the lessons (especially in the case of words with multiple meanings/uses) kinda kills my enthusiasm for Spektrum though.

Anyway, I suspected it was probably not much worth getting the newer edition. I didn't figure much had changed.

By Glossar do you mean the separate booklet? I bought this for the A1 volume and in the end didn't really need it - it was generally just easier to look up what I needed on linguee.de as and when necessary. At the end of each chapter in the textbook there is a much shorter and more targeted list of vocabulary under the heading "wichtige Redemittel".

Yes, that's right.

My problem is, I like to know the targeted meaning of a word for the Kapitel in question, so I find the Glossar very helpful. Granted for the vast majority of the vocabulary, this isn't an issue. But then you get a word with like three different definitions and shit. That drives me nuts. Sure I have to eventually learn all three definitions. But which one is the author aiming for here!? :lol:

Yeah, I'm crazy.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

Assimil German : 1 / 100
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Enigma
Languages: Russian (N), English(?), German (beginner)

Postby Enigma » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:23 am

I was practicing in an app, where I need to build the sentence: "This table is not older than that."

My answer was:
"Dieser Tisch ist nicht älter als der andere."

But correct answer was:
"Dieser Tisch ist nicht älter als das andere."

So why there is "das", if "table" is masculine in German, so "that [table]" should also be masculine?
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:48 pm

Enigma wrote:I was practicing in an app, where I need to build the sentence: "This table is not older than that."

My answer was:
"Dieser Tisch ist nicht älter als der andere."

But correct answer was:
"Dieser Tisch ist nicht älter als das andere."

So why there is "das", if "table" is masculine in German, so "that [table]" should also be masculine?

You are right and the app is wrong. If the other table is within reach or visible you can also say "der da (dort)".
6 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:32 pm

Kraut wrote:You are right and the app is wrong. If the other table is within reach or visible you can also say "der da (dort)".

I read the sentence with das in it to my husband (also a native speaker, like you) and he gave me the weirdest look. It made me laugh. :lol:

Enigma, you've discovered why I quit duolingo a long time ago. Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense at all. Your reasoning for der instead of das was spot on, and you should not change it.

Diese Decke ist nicht älter als <b>die</b> andere.
Dieses Handy ist nicht älter als <b>das</b> andere.
Or "die da" or "das da", respectively, as Kraut mentioned. ;)
2 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
: 22 / 100 SC Books 22.3/100
: 31 / 100 SC Films 30.7/100

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:33 pm

"Ich hoffe ich konnte euch ein bisschen was mit an die Hand geben"

"jemandem etw an die Hand geben" is an expression that means to help someone. (an useful expression).
But I'm a bit confused about the "was mit" - is that the direct object? is "mit" short for "damit"? or is "was mit" equal to "damit"?
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”