German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: German group

Postby Kraut » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 am

https://www.kika.de/sonntagsmaerchen/sendung109372.html

KIKA channel

Der Zauberlehrling (with subtitles and audiodescription)
14/10/2018

12:00 Uhr

Vagabund Valentin sucht sein Glück: Der große Zauberer Ambrosius braucht einen Lehrling, und Valentin ist sicher, dass dies genau das Richtige für ihn ist. Doch von der einzigen Mitbewerberin, Katrina, ausgetrickst, bekommt er die Stelle nicht. Stattdessen kommt er in der Apotheke des berühmten Altmeisters Zacharias unter - dieser jedoch zaubert überhaupt nicht mehr. Enttäuscht will Valentin die Kunst auf eigene Faust erlernen.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Since I mentioned Babylon Berlin.. Season 2 is online now and available with subtitles until 15/11 2018.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Babylon- ... d=56701022
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:02 pm

1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 pm

https://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Dingsda/ ... d=57547176

Dingsda: kids paraphrasing sth and the studio guests have to guess, subtitled
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Fairy Tale with subtitles and audiodescription

https://www.kika.de/sonntagsmaerchen/sendung109972.html

Wie man Prinzessinnen weckt

12:00 Uhr
0 x

lordwea123
Languages: Spanish (N), English (), German (beginner)

Postby lordwea123 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:46 am

Hello people, I'm new to this forum. I'm a native Spanish speaker and have been learning English my whole life through media. I started learning German last year and haven't had the progress I guess I expected, wanna try out if joining a forum can keep me motivated and focused on perfecting my skills. Tried reading a short B1 book with the help of a dictionary last month and it took me ages to get through so I guess I need far more practice.
I'm currently trying to go through German for Reading by Sandberg and Welden, so far it's been pretty good and I think it would be cool if a study group to go through the whole book was made. Now that I think about it, it is pretty weird how this forum has so few subforums, imo, having a study subforum for each language would be far better so different study groups can be going simultaneoulsy. Anyways. Do any of you guys do group study? Or is there anything you do as a community of sorts? How do stuff works around here? Do you just share resources and that's it?

Other than that I guess I'm interested in knowing what reading/study material you guys would recommend to a beginner like me, also if any of you guys could hook me up with some interlinear german - english/spanish books it would be pretty neat, I've always assumed interlinear books were more common as they are so convenient but apparently finding anything other than Bibles is pure hell.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:35 am

lordwea123 wrote:Hello people, I'm new to this forum. I'm a native Spanish speaker and have been learning English my whole life through media. I started learning German last year and haven't had the progress I guess I expected, wanna try out if joining a forum can keep me motivated and focused on perfecting my skills. Tried reading a short B1 book with the help of a dictionary last month and it took me ages to get through so I guess I need far more practice.
I'm currently trying to go through German for Reading by Sandberg and Welden, so far it's been pretty good and I think it would be cool if a study group to go through the whole book was made. Now that I think about it, it is pretty weird how this forum has so few subforums, imo, having a study subforum for each language would be far better so different study groups can be going simultaneoulsy. Anyways. Do any of you guys do group study? Or is there anything you do as a community of sorts? How do stuff works around here? Do you just share resources and that's it?

Other than that I guess I'm interested in knowing what reading/study material you guys would recommend to a beginner like me, also if any of you guys could hook me up with some interlinear german - english/spanish books it would be pretty neat, I've always assumed interlinear books were more common as they are so convenient but apparently finding anything other than Bibles is pure hell.

If you can find several people who are interested, you can always start such a study group yourself, but I don’t think there has been much success with groups that have tried to follow a specific book before. People tend to drop in and out as their lives get busy or other things happen and then it falls apart.

Still, I think it could be fun to have some kind of group activity. Our Setswana group has meet-ups on Google Hangouts to discuss what we’ve learned. And some study groups have read novels together in a kind of book club.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen interlinear texts. Parallel texts are pretty easy to find in the more popular languages though. Are they not good enough?
4 x

lordwea123

Postby lordwea123 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:If you can find several people who are interested, you can always start such a study group yourself, but I don’t think there has been much success with groups that have tried to follow a specific book before. People tend to drop in and out as their lives get busy or other things happen and then it falls apart.

Still, I think it could be fun to have some kind of group activity. Our Setswana group has meet-ups on Google Hangouts to discuss what we’ve learned. And some study groups have read novels together in a kind of book club.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen interlinear texts. Parallel texts are pretty easy to find in the more popular languages though. Are they not good enough?

Yeah, it's far easier to find paralel texts, but I think interlinear texts are much better, specially on more complicated senteces, where you can't make heads or tails of how the german sentence works even though you have the english translation right besides, all this would be made much easier on an interlinear translation in my opinion.
Seeing as there are no other study groups currently active I would like to see if people are interested in joining one, I don't know if this group is active enough to do something like that but I guess I lose nothing by at least proposing it.

Also, I think I need some help with my studies, so I guess I'll just post my doubts here since this seems like the proper place for discussing everything related to german:
I'm trying to read some of Hölderlin's poems with the help of a parallel text book and this the first poem I'm reading through:

An die junge Dichter

Lieben Brüder! es reift unsere Kunst vielleicht
Da den Jüngling gleich lange sie schon gegärt,
Bald zur stille der Schönheit;
Seid nur fromm, wie der Drieche war!

Liebt die Götter und denkt freundlich der Sterblichen!
Hasst den Rausch wie den Frost! lehrt und beschreibt nich!
Wenn der Meister euch ängstigt,
Fragt die grosse Natur um Rat!

Now, from verses 4 onwards it's pretty easy to understand what's going on since the sentences are pretty simple and straightforward, but the first 3 verses are confusing the hell out of me. Can anyone please explain me how you would go about trying to decode what's going on in there?
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:07 pm

I don't know where you found this version of the poem. Maybe you should look for another, yours contains many small mistakes that make it harder to understand and the commas (which divide the text in manageable chunks) are completely missing.

If that helps, I can give you an interlinear text for the first verse:

An die jungen Dichter
To - the - young - poets

Lieben Brüder! es reift unsere Kunst vielleicht,
love (imperative) - brothers - it - matures - our - art - perhaps

Da, dem Jünglinge gleich, lange sie schon gegärt,
because/since - the - youth (in the sense of young person, young man) - just like (so the whole chunk reads: just like the youth) - long - it - already - has brewed/fermented (you can't translate that literally, it's being used in the sense of: something has been pent up inside for a long time)

Bald zur Stille der Schönheit;
Soon -- to - the silence - of - beauty

Seid nur fromm, wie der Grieche war!
Be - just - pious - as - the Greek (used in the sense of the Greek people) - was

I don't want to discourage you but in your first post you mentioned that you still find it difficult to read B1 books. In that case, this 18th century poem might simply be way above your level. The language is very poetic and old-fashioned.

Edited: typos
4 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

lordwea123

Postby lordwea123 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Kat wrote:I don't know where you found this version of the poem. Maybe you should look for another, yours contains many small mistakes that make it harder to understand and the commas (which divide the text in manageable chunks) are completely missing.

If that helps, I can give you an interlinear text for the first verse:

An die jungen Dichter
To - the - young - poets

love (imperative) - brothers - it - matures - our - art - perhaps

because/since - the - youth (in the sense of young person, young man) - just like (so the whole chunk reads: just like the youth) - long - it - already - has brewed/fermented (you can't translate that literally, it's being used in the sense of: something has been pent up inside for a long time)

Soon -- to - the silence - of - beauty

Be - just - pious - as - the Greek (used in the sense of Greek people) - was

I don't want to discourage you but in your first post you mentioned that you still find it difficult to read B1 books. In that case, this 18th century poem might simply be way above your level. The language is very poetic and old-fashioned.

Thanks a lot, this version was something I had transcribed from a book into a notebook, now that I notice, there's a lot of mistakes I made while writing it lol

Now, to get back into the poem:

Could a decent translation be something like:

Beloved brothers! Perhaps our art is soon to mature,
For, since our times of youth, for long it has been brewed,
Soon to stand in calm beauty;
Be only pious, as the Greek were!

Also, about how difficult this text is, I wanted to try myself with harder texts and noticed that short poems are far more fun and gratifying than trying to read a 40 pages long boring graded text. I guess that getting to read something beautiful encourages me more than the discouragement I get from the difficulty of the text if that makes any sense.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”