German group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: German group

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Picture dictionary with audio.

I've just picked up a 2002 copy of "Usborne's German dictionary for beginners" (ISBN: 074605341X). It's a collection of themed word lists, with cartoon illustrations, and 2 audio CDs for pronunciation.

The current edition (ISBN: 9781474903639) seems to have replaced the CDs with webpages.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Just received an email from ARD saying that the full first season of Babylon Berlin will be available in their mediathek from Sunday 21:00. No info on how long it will be available and most likely it will be region restricted but who knows.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Babylon- ... d=54319834
2 x

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Polski - currently inactive, but I will return to it
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Hey guys, I’ve just started learning German and looking for ever more ways to use and practice this (surprisingly) very fun language. I say surprisingly, as I had never thought that I’d one day be learning German, let alone thoroughly enjoying doing so.

I’m roughly 3 weeks in now, though due to my background with Dutch, have already got somewhat of a decent foundation in the basic framework of German. So far I’ve been working my way through German Grammar Made Easy by Lisa Kahlen, which has been fine, though a bit too easy for me with my Dutch background. Nevertheless it’s been a good resource to practice accusative and dative cases with the various articles and pronouns and so on. It was the only grammar book my local library had, so I grabbed it. A good beginners book for A1 to A2 I’d say, and it’s been a good introduction for me to the differences between Dutch and German.

Apart from that I’ve simply been watching lots of videos on YouTube from Easy German, which I think is an awesome channel and I really like what they’re doing. Also been watching lots of videos by Learn German with Jenny, who covers all kinds of grammatical topics, love her stuff. And lastly have been reading articles and watching videos on Deutsche Welle which I’m sure everyone’s already very familiar with. Also once my computer gets repaired, I’ll start a German Anki deck and will start working on my vocab.

I’ve just started writing in German in my logbook, and always love people dropping by and interacting in German, or perhaps making some suggestions and corrections.

Excited to be starting my first new language in years and looking forward to improving my German with you all!
7 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:01 am

Which Materials for Beginning the Study of German?
Chmury, as you are probably aware, there are hundreds of truly excellent alternatives, perhaps even thousands! Quick answers …

Quick Alternative 1
Step 1: Acquire a copy of “German Verbs & Essentials of Grammar” and leaf through the booklet; do not memorize it, simply become familiar with the way the information is organized. Use it to complement your courses.
Step 2: Pimsleur German 1. Wading Pool level, to develop your self-confidence
Step 3: Either (a) Assimil German, or (b) FSI German Basic, or (c) both, simultaneously. Note that FSI German, most particularly Units 1 and 2, will be an unpleasant jolt. Never mind, things settle down thereafter.

Quick Alternative 2
Step 1: Acquire a copy of “German Verbs & Essentials of Grammar” and leaf through the booklet; do not memorize it, simply become familiar with the way the information is organized. Use it to complement your courses.
Step 2: Pimsleur German 1. Wading Pool level, to develop your self-confidence.
Step 3: Mastering German (FSI German Updated). Be a pioneer! Upon completion of the few units that are presently available, you’ll be wishing for more. There aren't any, so ...
Step 4: Either (a) Assimil German, or (b) FSI German Basic, or (c) both, simultaneously. In both cases, skim quickly through the first lessons until you reach a level where you are beginning to feel that you are out of your depth, then continue.

Quick Caveat
Be prepared for a certain level of interference, initially, from your Intermediate Level of Dutch.

Advice
Work hard, play hard!
1 x

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Maybe consider getting a Dutch textbook covering differences and false friends instead of beginners material in English. Naturally one doesn't have to exclude the other.
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 am

Stefan wrote:Just received an email from ARD saying that the full first season of Babylon Berlin will be available in their mediathek from Sunday 21:00. No info on how long it will be available and most likely it will be region restricted but who knows.

https://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Babylon- ... d=54319834

Well it should stay available for a while, since German tax payers co-funded it.
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:56 pm

patrickwilken wrote:Well it should stay available for a while, since German tax payers co-funded it.

They are available until 18.10.2018. Geo restricted as I thought.
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am

Stefan wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:Well it should stay available for a while, since German tax payers co-funded it.

They are available until 18.10.2018. Geo restricted as I thought.

Seriously! I better start watching. Thanks...
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I accidentally stumbled upon this wordlist published by the Goethe-Institut:
https://www.goethe.de/pro/relaunch/prf/ ... tliste.pdf

It contains all the vocabulary that you need to know for the B1 exam and Anki enthusiasts might find the sample sentences for every item useful. There are no translations included, it's all in German.

Here's a little preview:

screenshot_B1_wordlist_Goethe-Institut.png

PS: :o Help! How can I adjust the size of this image and make it smaller???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Google pic resize. The picture looks fine on my phone. The Ankiheads will be able to point you to better tools. Someone already made an Anki deck based on that list.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1586166030
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”