Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Spanish Group

Postby iguanamon » Thu May 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo looks good at 226 pages. They even named a literary prize after Juan Rulfo- El Premio Juan Rulfo.
Wikipedia wrote:Pedro Páramo fue muy estimada por autores como Jorge Luis Borges, quien dijo:
Pedro Páramo es una de las mejores novelas de las literaturas de lengua hispánica, y aun de toda la literatura.20​
Gabriel García Márquez escribió, al recordar su primera lectura de la novela:
... Álvaro Mutis subió a grandes zancadas los siete pisos de mi casa con un paquete de libros, separó del montón el más pequeño y corto, y me dijo muerto de risa: ¡Lea esa vaina, carajo, para que aprenda! Era Pedro Páramo. Aquella noche no pude dormir mientras no terminé la segunda lectura. Nunca, desde la noche tremenda en que leí la Metamorfosis de Kafka en una lúgubre pensión de estudiantes de Bogotá —casi diez años atrás— había sufrido una conmoción semejante.
Y Susan Sontag también:
La novela de Rulfo no es sólo una de las obras maestras de la literatura mundial del siglo XX, sino uno de los libros más influyentes de este mismo siglo.

It seems to satisfy several criteria- a worthy novel to read, praised by such stalwarts as Gabo, good ole Borges and Susan Sontag... worthy praise indeed. It's also under 300 pages and written in 1955, so not too ancient. What do you all think?

edit: corrected typo- of 1965 to 1955.
Last edited by iguanamon on Fri May 04, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 pm

After reading praise like that, I don't think anyone could not want to read Pedro Páramo, iguanamon. :P

I was going to suggest some García Márquez, like Amor en los tiempos del cólera (348 pages), but Rulfo looks good to me.
1 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Fri May 04, 2018 1:24 pm

Pedro Páramo has been on my "to read one day" list for a long time. I just downloaded it to my Kindle so either way I'll be reading it.

I thing it would be great for a read along. Count me in for this one!
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

bpasseri
White Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
Advanced: Spanish, French
Intermediate: Italian, Portuguese
Beginner: Mandarin Chinese
Dabbled: Japanese, Greek, German, Esperanto
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7995

Postby bpasseri » Fri May 04, 2018 3:17 pm

It's been on my to-read list as well!!! I actually started reading it in English at one point and then stopped because I wanted to wait to read it in Spanish... this is the perfect excuse to find it! :D
1 x
: 1900 / 2500 ES Books
: 390 / 4500 ES Movies

: 480 / 2500 FR Books
: 90 / 4500 FR Movies

: 0 / 2500 IT Books
: 0 / 4500 IT Movies

: 250 / 2500 PT Books
: 360 / 4500 PT Movies

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 04, 2018 4:31 pm

The English language wikipedia entry about Pedro Páramo is very detailed and looks to be helpful to anyone who wants to read the book. The article's external links led me to a cool soundtrack for the book by Àlex Torío of Barcelona, Spain who composed an album of music called Ghosts of Comala which you can listen to online.
Àlex Torío bandcamp website wrote:Àlex Torío publica su quinto larga duración, Ghosts of Comala (Columna Música, 2012), un homenaje al clásico de Juan Rulfo, Pedro Páramo. Sin ánimo de traducir el libro al inglés, idioma musical de Álex,, el objetivo es transmitir las sensaciones que le ha aportado su lectura, universalizándola y haciéndola íntima y personal al mismo tiempo, convirtiendo en versos musicados la prosa de Rulfo

There's also a good introductory article about the book The Perfect Novel You've Never Heard Of- on Slate.com.
Jim Lewis for Slate.com wrote:...I was steered to Pedro Paramo by writer Ruben Martinez. (Thank you, Ruben.) I read it and then read it again almost immediately, and then again, and then again; I was trying to reverse-engineer it, but I never did figure out quite how it works. At the same time, I couldn't understand how Rulfo had escaped my attention for so long; it was like happening on a new primary color, entirely unlike any I'd seen before. But then I read something else (Gabriel García) Márquez had to say. He, too, didn't know Rulfo's name until he was given the book; he, too, was surprised. How could a book be at once so admired and so obscure? "Juan Rulfo," he said, "to the contrary of what happens with the great classic writers, is a writer whom one reads a lot, but of whom one speaks little."...

Lastly, the wikipedia entry links to this review in the Independent (UK) Book Of A Lifetime: Pedro Páramo, By Juan Rulfo
Suhayl Saadi for The Independent wrote:For me, reading Pedro Páramo is like opening a small mosaïque box, only to discover that it is empty, save for the whispers of those who had opened the box in the past. The novel is set in the post-revolutionary dustbowls of early 20th-century Mexico, when rapid industrialisation left hundreds of ghost villages scattered across the rural south. Urged by his dying mother to reclaim his patrimony, Juan Preciado arrives at Comala, and finds that things are not as they seem.

The book is called the precursor for which without its existence "Cien años de soledad" and "Rayuela" would never have been written. It may not be everyone's cup of tea. Page count seems to be fungible, I guess depending on the size of the book in hardcopy. One of the reviews says that the book has only 122 pages in English translation. It should be short enough to be finish-able.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri May 04, 2018 6:21 pm

NoManches wrote:Pedro Páramo has been on my "to read one day" list for a long time. I just downloaded it to my Kindle so either way I'll be reading it.

How did you manage that? I couldn't find a kindle version so I have ordered a paperback copy from amazon.es which should arrive in about a week :?

I am guessing you used "alternative sources"? :P
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 04, 2018 6:37 pm

The Calibre e-book management software is a language-learners best friend. It's free and open-source software that's really easy to use. If I have a book in epub, pdf or even html, I can convert it to kindle mobi format easily and quickly... usually a little over a minute, a little more if I want to have a good cover image added.

With the Calibre software you can turn any webpage or pdf into a book. I have often copied and pasted from the web to a word/openoffice document and then printed it to pdf for conversion to my kindle. I do this with long articles that I want to read when I get time later. It works great and solves a lot of problems with e-books.

I, too, have Pedro Páramo on my kindle. I'll read along with you all when you're ready to start, and will probably have Àlex Torío's soundtrack playing in the background as well :) .
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri May 04, 2018 7:07 pm

I think the question is, where did you find it in e-book format? I can only find analyses of the book in e-book format, not the book itself, so I’m planning to buy it and a few others in paperback format. I just have to decide what books to get. Hmmmmm.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 04, 2018 7:27 pm

We can't discuss alternative methods for acquisition of materials here, as per forum rules, which was why I didn't answer the question directly. Be careful to make sure you're getting the Spanish language version when ordering the book online or from the library, the book has the same title in English.
1 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Fri May 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Here is the link for the e-book I bought. I typed in Pedro Páramo and downloaded the first one that said "Spanish edition"

I'm starting to think I bought the wrong version?! :oops:

Pedro Paramo (Spanish Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N03MN8C/re ... 7AbSWHGWR2

I'm working now and can't open it to check but please let me know if I got the wrong copy so I can get a refund.

I have no problem spending my hard earned money on books, and don't plan on going about it illegally. Not that anybody accused me of doing so,but I just want to clarify that. My reputation on the forum is at stake here :D
3 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Return to “Study Groups”