Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Kraut » Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 pm

free download if you are registered

Las perífrasis verbales en español actual

https://www.academia.edu/2305157/Las_pe ... 1ol_actual
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri May 10, 2019 6:28 pm

free PDF

https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstre ... sAllowed=y

Spanish modals of obligaton: different uses of TENER QUE and NECESITAR

Charland, Bailey
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm

I've just looked on Kwiziq and am looking forward to subscribing again during the summer.
3.12.2018 was the end or my month long subscription, I had completed A0-B2 100% and done a bit of the C1 level. (Yes, I may have been spending a little bit too much time on it :-D )
Since then, there has been a lot of new content added.
Nothing to A0, a bit to A1 and A2 (I am now at 95.98% and 94.45%)
More to the already huge B1 level (I am now only at 88.58%)
The B2 was significatnly smaller than B1 back then, and has grown a lot (only 40.35% now, so the content has more than doubled!)
The C1 was the tiniest and grew a bit, but I cannot tell by how much (my previous 19.5% are now 14.49%, so there has been some increase).
That is really impressive, for just five months! I think especially the B2 level development.

I love to see this great product grow, and it grows in what matters the most: the content. Some others should take this as a good example and reevaluate their focus from endless design changes :-D

They are now also experimenting with vocabulary themes in their library, but there are no separate vocab excercises at least for now, and some more types of exercise, including comprehension and also translation. I will get to know more about those during the summer. I am not too optimistic, as I think most good digital tools are good exactly because they do one thing really well, rather than trying to be the Jack of all trades. But I think I might be surprised.
Too bad no sign of more languages being added in the forseeable future, I think Kwiziq could really kick my German or Italian in the right direction.
8 x

GnomeChomsky
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2-B1?)

Postby GnomeChomsky » Wed May 22, 2019 5:10 am

Cavesa wrote:I've just looked on Kwiziq and am looking forward to subscribing again during the summer.

Thanks for letting us know about Kwiziq, Cavesa. I don't remember coming across it before and I signed up for their free subscription based on your recommendation.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed May 22, 2019 7:50 pm

GnomeChomsky wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I've just looked on Kwiziq and am looking forward to subscribing again during the summer.

Thanks for letting us know about Kwiziq, Cavesa. I don't remember coming across it before and I signed up for their free subscription based on your recommendation.

You're welcome.
But this is no the first time Kwiziq has been mentioned, it's been around for more than a year. I wrote a too long post about it back then, but we haven't got a thread dedicated to the tool, it seems. And using the search function, I can see at least ten people using the word (some criticising, some praising). I'm not even sure I was the one bringing it to our collective attention.
0 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 am

Native context - es.youglish.com

I found a site this evening that I really liked upon first impression and that I think several study groups may benefit from significantly as well. It is currently available in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German and Chinese. I tested it by giving it some vocabulary words in Spanish and letting it cross reference back to Youtube. Playback of the video included clear and very reasonable subtitles using the word in context (for the curious I tested it using words like: finiquito, acrisolada, quintal, patatús, regoldar and conticinio). It found all but the last one (conticinio ~ a bit rare and refers to the 'still of the night' or thereabouts). It will tell you how many matches it finds and likely has features I am not aware of as well.

My second thought with it is that I have looked for a way to inject a bit of linguistic structure to my normal Youtube searches so that their algorithms have less influence on what content I am exposed to (as much as I love the ludic arts, I have some languages to learn and need to get at the words themselves). This site does that for me. I can back into the type of [level appropriate] language usage that I am after and can then follow the breadcrumbs back to the channels if interested, giving me content that differs from what I normally get (in a serendipitous way from what I can tell so far). It seems to function similar to a very flexible Yabla. I searched and it has been mentioned here before on the forums, but is listed under English pronunciation sites and I think a lot of people may miss it under that heading. Hope you like it.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:47 pm

I tried easy words: castellano for Spanish, fiançailles for French and ausgezeichnet for German. The program had no problem coming up with examples. This promises to be a very useful app. I am always looking for sentences to illustrate words, and this gives me the word, its pronunciation and the pronunciation of the encapsulating sentence as well. Thanks for digging it out of the English bin. ;)
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:06 am

coldrainwater wrote:Native context - es.youglish.com

I found a site this evening that I really liked upon first impression and that I think several study groups may benefit from significantly as well. It is currently available in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, German and Chinese. I tested it by giving it some vocabulary words in Spanish and letting it cross reference back to Youtube. Playback of the video included clear and very reasonable subtitles using the word in context (for the curious I tested it using words like: finiquito, acrisolada, quintal, patatús, regoldar and conticinio). It found all but the last one (conticinio ~ a bit rare and refers to the 'still of the night' or thereabouts). It will tell you how many matches it finds and likely has features I am not aware of as well. ...

I would describe it as "Linguee" for audio! I agree with Mork. Great find!
MorkTheFiddle wrote:I tried easy words: castellano for Spanish, fiançailles for French and ausgezeichnet for German. The program had no problem coming up with examples. This promises to be a very useful app. I am always looking for sentences to illustrate words, and this gives me the word, its pronunciation and the pronunciation of the encapsulating sentence as well. Thanks for digging it out of the English bin. ;)

Mork, I remember ausgezeichnet from an old VW commercial :lol:
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 am

iguanamon wrote:Mork, I remember ausgezeichnet from an old VW commercial :lol:

:lol: From time to time I use it in a Youtube comment about performances by German-speaking musicians. Anne-Sophie Mutter springs first to mind, though I don't remember any specific comment I have made about her work.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi, guys

It seems Muyinteresante now has a podcast. They have two ongoing series: La ciencia del sexo and El mundo en 2030

https://www.muyinteresante.es/podcast
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”