Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Systematiker » Sun May 13, 2018 12:06 am

Welp, I bailed on discussion on the last read-along due to work and pretty much missed out on this one...unless someone found a decent ebook source for a US resident (I’m not clear on whether that worked out or not)? Otherwise I’d never manage to get it in time.
0 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun May 13, 2018 1:25 am

Systematiker wrote:Welp, I bailed on discussion on the last read-along due to work and pretty much missed out on this one...unless someone found a decent ebook source for a US resident (I’m not clear on whether that worked out or not)? Otherwise I’d never manage to get it in time.

If you are comfortable with reading Pedro Paramo by itself (not including the second book El llanto en llamas), the link posted previously by NoManches appears complete to me. As noted, it doesn't open in cloud reader but I had no trouble at all getting to the content on my desktop Kindle app. It is also the least expensive Amazon option at $3.99 as far as I can tell.

Pedro Páramo Kindle version (Amazon US geographic settings)
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun May 13, 2018 1:14 pm

My book has finally arrived! It's one of those editions with all kinds of introductions, appendices and notes, but it definitely has the actual story Pedro Páramo in there as well - all 106 pages of it - in its 16th iteration, with footnotes etc.

This is the edition I bought in the end.

As nobody seems to have created a thread yet, I will do it later on this afternoon. I will create it in the multilingual section of the forum, rather than Spanish only, so as not to prevent anyone from posting in English if they prefer. However, I will be carrying out my discussion of the book entirely in Spanish. :)
4 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sun May 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Spoonary wrote:My book has finally arrived! It's one of those editions with all kinds of introductions, appendices and notes, but it definitely has the actual story Pedro Páramo in there as well - all 106 pages of it - in its 16th iteration, with footnotes etc.

This is the edition I bought in the end.

As nobody seems to have created a thread yet, I will do it later on this afternoon. I will create it in the multilingual section of the forum, rather than Spanish only, so as not to prevent anyone from posting in English if they prefer. However, I will be carrying out my discussion of the book entirely in Spanish. :)

I'm glad it came in! I just started this morning and already like the book. I only read a few pages and was half asleep so I will be rereading them when I'm more awake. I'm glad the book is relatively short so I can do some intensive work with it if needed.
2 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun May 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Here you go guys, I created a thread where we can discuss Pedro Páramo.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:44 am

Peppa Pig (Spain Spanish) with subtitles in Spanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-nsfC ... uSiKeFca9I
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:17 am

Andy E wrote:
Jaleel10 wrote:https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/380455-Downloading-subtitles-from-rtve-es

That's exactly how I get the subtitles from RTVE. One thing to note - VLC Player plays VTT subtitles without needing to convert. Should mean Lingo Player will also play them (as it's based on VLC Player).

Here is a simple way to download videos + subtitles of Spanish national channels.

Paste the URL "http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/cuentame-como-paso/"

here: http://www.descargavideos.tv/changelog

Download video and subtitles. They can be used in VLC-Player.

In order to use them in Lingo PLayer, you must convert the subtitles (which are "vtt") into a "srt" file:
https://subtitletools.com/convert-to-srt-online
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 am

Speaking of. They have finally allowed RTVE in Africa. If it was blocked in your region, see if it works now. I am sure they heard me complaining :lol:
3 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:22 am

So, I'm heading to Malaga on Saturday to do two weeks immersion in Spanish. I definitely need to work on pronouncing the sounds before I get there, as I can't do an aveolar trill and my flap is very inconsistent. I have to admit I'm not super interested in Spanish, and am doing it mainly so I can communicate with students to help them learn better. Well, that and so I can read some of the Spanish-only resources on ancient Iberian languages as well as those indigenous languages of Latin and South America. I do hope that going to Malaga will inspire me to really enjoy and love the language, though; I know football will help some (thanks for the idea, Serpent!), but making connections with people will probably be the best. I'd appreciate recommendations y'all've got about things you find fun and interesting in Spanish. I'm not much of a TV watcher, however!
0 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:52 am

galaxyrocker wrote:So, I'm heading to Malaga on Saturday to do two weeks immersion in Spanish. I definitely need to work on pronouncing the sounds before I get there, as I can't do an aveolar trill and my flap is very inconsistent. I have to admit I'm not super interested in Spanish, and am doing it mainly so I can communicate with students to help them learn better. Well, that and so I can read some of the Spanish-only resources on ancient Iberian languages as well as those indigenous languages of Latin and South America. I do hope that going to Malaga will inspire me to really enjoy and love the language, though; I know football will help some (thanks for the idea, Serpent!), but making connections with people will probably be the best. I'd appreciate recommendations y'all've got about things you find fun and interesting in Spanish. I'm not much of a TV watcher, however!

It seems like you are one of the senior members of the site so I really don't know what advice I can offer you haha. And I am 90% sure I might be misunderstanding your question. Anyway here goes !

I hope they serve you in some capacity. Good luck !
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”