Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: Spanish Group

Postby coldrainwater » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:36 am

iguanamon wrote:Pride and Prejudice/Orgullo y prejuicio I've been reading this book by Jane Austen in both Spanish and Portuguese translation, alternating chapters.
I like the idea enough to generalize it and expand on it in my own studies and even started doing a few similar things. For example, I am compelled, especially this time of year with all the hubbub around New Year's, to contribute to more topics and I alternate answering in English in the original thread with posting an answer in Spanish in my log with enough lead-in to let the reader know what I am talking about. That should keep my writing more balanced. I am also alternating where I post my Spanish questions and thoughts with similar intentions (Spanish forum, right here, or challenge prompt area for example). Finally, I have had good success playing reading against listening as well and changing one for the other upon reaching a state of fatigue. That trick also works surprisingly well when pigging out on food and alternating between desserts and main courses. In that sense, I have done quite a lot of coursework.
1 x

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

Anybody in this group aiming to take either the DELE or SIELE? If yes, when, and at what level? If you are taking it, why? Is it for professional reasons, self motivation, fun...?
1 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:54 pm

Guys, I would like to do another group read-along in March. I know our attempts at group reading in the past haven't been the most successful, but I enjoyed the community aspect of it, even if it only lasted the first few chapters :roll: Would anyone be interested?
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Do you have a book in mind? I might be interested... depending. Yes, probably doomed, but acknowledging this from the start is refreshing. It's just difficult to coordinate with so many self-learners following their own paths. Perhaps, a short story could be more conducive to group reading than a 300 page novel... just an idea.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

March might be a little difficult because I’ll be moving, but considering how slowly these things have gone in the past, I could probably catch up.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:54 pm

Don Quijote, by the end of the year.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm

No, I don't have a particular book in mind. I would just buy whatever most people were interested in (probably in ebook format) and read that. To throw a suggestion out there though, I still have yet to read 'Ficciones' by Borges, which was actually on our reading list at uni :roll: but I figure most of you have already read that?

Don Quijote is definitely on my to read list, but it may be a bit daunting for some. :?
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:50 pm

haziz wrote:Anybody in this group aiming to take either the DELE or SIELE? If yes, when, and at what level? If you are taking it, why? Is it for professional reasons, self motivation, fun...?

I am seriously considering the SIELE exam. I have been thinking of taking DELE for ages but I don't know. I am worried about wrong choice of the level and either failing or feeling like having wasted money on a too low one.

The only thing I hate about SIELE is not having any testing center nearby. All are five or more hours away by bus or train (and I am not sure whether I'll be able to get there by car, which would still take at least four hours) And the SIELE, in the centers I have checked ,always starts too early (10am is the usual start). If it was in the afternoon, I could easily catch a morning bus. But like this, I'll either have to pay one night accomodation on top of all the costs or try to get on a hyperearly bus, which could damage my performance.

When: Possibly during the summer or early autumn. October and November are likely to be rather difficult, as I hope to be finishing my medicine studies by then. So, taking the SIELE before that would be ideal. The more that I have no clue how much time for such stuff I'll have after this summer.

Why: Several reasons.
1.I am still playing with the though of trying the MIR exam, if I'll be allowed to (a huge end of medical studies exam in Spain). Not that I'd prepare for it a lot or expect success, but it might prepare me for the stress of the French exam of this kind. But perhaps it is nonsense. And C1 is a prerequisite for doing medicine in Spain, and I am not sure whether I wouldn't have to get it even before sitting the exam or signing up for it.
2.Motivation to study much harder. That is the most important one. I need to get the most out of my Spanish learning while I can devote some time to it.
3.CV and similar uses.
4.I want to officially know my level, both to direct my further learning, and to be able to claim it without feeling like a fraud.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Crónica de una muerte anunciada by Gabriel García Márquez only has 128 pages in paperback. Should be doable and could serve as an introduction to Gabo's work.

Mi país inventado by Isabel Allende is larger but still under 300 pages, at 224 pages, in physical form. Both are available in ebook format.

Ficciones looks good at 178 pages in physical format...

Edit: Borges' work "Ficciones"was originally written in Spanish! :roll: Apologies for the error
Last edited by iguanamon on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I read Crónica last year, so that's out for me. I wouldn't mind reading some more Allende though, after our attempt at reading La casa de los espíritus.

I didn't know that about Ficciones... :roll:
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”