Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Spanish Group

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:41 pm

Oops, I should really get my act together and do more intensive reading in Spanish too :oops: It's weird, I've been just very listening heavy for my Spanish because I learned it in immersion. I never enjoyed reading in Spanish much and always had to force myself a little. It's amazing how much more I enjoy reading in French just because I've done all that intensive reading with LWT up front. Reading in Spanish always makes me wonder whether I really understand or not.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Postby the1whoknocks » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Thanks for the link, kunsttyv. It’s exactly what I was looking for, and an incredibly helpful post.

@blaurebell – To me, your ‘act’ seems so together in Spanish, it’s crazy. Although, I understand that you were talking about intensive reading. Thanks for your very thorough post detailing how you approach intensive reading. I anticipate referring to it and your log many times.
1 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 am

For me, I don't need or use software like LWT, Anki, etc, but... blaurebell's post on LWT is excellent, and very well explained. I definitely think she should contact rdearman to put it up as a guest post on the main site and the wikia too. It could help a lot of people.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)

Postby blaurebell » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:04 am

iguanamon wrote:For me, I don't need or use software like LWT, Anki, etc, but... blaurebell's post on LWT is excellent, and very well explained. I definitely think she should contact rdearman to put it up as a guest post on the main site and the wikia too. It could help a lot of people.

I will probably do so in September after getting a month of intensive reading in Russian done. I still want to have some more accurate Russian stats in there, because I think those will be very helpful for comparison!
3 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Hello. fellow students of Spanish!

I thought I would post this resource here since not many people are going to find it in my log. For those of you studying Mexican Spanish, I found a really good example of "fresa" speech with this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QA_qg9-Uy7D3kCqIsurIQ

She speaks really fast (and edits out natural pauses in speech to make the video pacing go a bit faster), so this will put your listening skills to the test.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am

M23 wrote:I thought I would post this resource here since not many people are going to find it in my log. For those of you studying Mexican Spanish, I found a really good example of "fresa" speech with this channel:

She speaks really fast (and edits out natural pauses in speech to make the video pacing go a bit faster), so this will put your listening skills to the test.

Wow, she sounds a whole lot like some of my Mexico City roommates' friends who came over for parties while I lived with there in 2015. :P Thanks for sharing.

I'm pleased with myself that I can understand her right from the start, but it is tiring to keep my mind that focused... But I'm doing better than the YouTube auto-transcription! ;)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

blaurebell
Blue Belt

Postby blaurebell » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:00 am

Whoa, she speaks super fast :shock: Spanish folks also speak really fast, so I'm used to this kind of thing, but with this girl I still had to concentrate much more. Spanish folks actually say only half of the content because they repeat themselves all the time. No need to listen so hard, because it's likely you'll hear everything 3 times anyway. It would certainly be good training to listen to this girl, but frankly I can't stand all her Americanisms!
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:04 pm

M23 wrote:Hello. fellow students of Spanish!

I thought I would post this resource here since not many people are going to find it in my log. For those of you studying Mexican Spanish, I found a really good example of "fresa" speech with this channel:

I was pleased that I could follow but I think I prefer Rick y Morty. Pika pika! all the same. Sounds like a great exercise.
2 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 am

blaurebell wrote:Whoa, she speaks super fast :shock: Spanish folks also speak really fast, so I'm used to this kind of thing, but with this girl I still had to concentrate much more.

If you are used to fast-talking Spanish folks then I can see why this would cause some strain. The rhythm of the language is different. I am fairly used to fresa talk, so while difficult because she sometimes goes at light speed (and the video is edited to take out many natural pauses in speech) I can follow without too much difficulty. When I went to Madrid, however, I really had to concentrate.

blaurebell wrote:It would certainly be good training to listen to this girl, but frankly I can't stand all her Americanisms!

:lol: That is part of what makes her so "fresa."
1 x

Fatih
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=4866

Postby Fatih » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am

I've got the results of my B2 exam 2 weeks ago and that was not good. I was expecting to get poor results from writing but reading really shocked me. I got disappointed and it took me 10 days to digest it but now I restarted everything again. I started reading juego de tronos, actually trying to do L-R but I’m not sure whether it’s right for me because it really makes reading tedious and slow. My medium-term objective is to pass C1 exam, hopefully before May 2018. Considering my B2 results what dou you think I should do? I’d greatly appreciate any advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”