Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby kunsttyv » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm

iguanamon wrote:Ficciones looks good at 178 pages in physical format, but it is actually one of Borges' works originally written in English, ironically.

If this is true I need to reconsider everything I know about literature. I know that Borges translated a great deal from English to Spanish, especially in his youth, and that he admired English literature. But I never knew that he wrote anything original in English.

I’m interested in a group reading by the way. I read Crónica de una muerte anunciada in Norwegian when I was around ten years old. Should be fun to revisit it these many years later!
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Noticias Falsas! I was confusing Ficciones with some of his short d=stories in English! Mea Maxima Culpa! :oops:
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:50 am

I’d be in for a group read, my vote would be for Borges (especially since it’s like second down in my to-read-in-Spanish list at the moment)
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Another Vote for Borges

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:27 am

Strike while the year is young and resolution fresh in memory. I am up for most of what has been suggested. Eyes and ears are poised and Borges highest on my list. It might be fun to read backwards (claiming to know it then forwards and backwards). Borges might even make more sense to me that way. Joshing aside, I wonder if we have tried setting a page goal for a month as a group. A big group might clear a super challenge in one month, some having more or less time to read than others with strength in numbers (or a roach race - see below).

Social Facilitation - Faster than a Speeding Roach
1 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:47 am

I'd be interested in a group readalong. So far, Ficciones would be my pick, since I have it on my to-read list and I own the ebook. I'd also be good with the other two that iguanamon mentioned--I just don't already own them.
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 pm

I'm really happy to see some interest in my proposal. It looks like we'll be reading Ficciones together in March :)

I remember reading 'El jardín de senderos que se bifurcan' at university, but I didn't understand much and don't really remember anything about it, so it will be interesting to read again now.

@coldrainwater, that's an interesting idea, but I don't know whether it would work, as there is so much variety in the amount of pages each person would do. Also, it may cause some people (me included) to feel like they aren't pulling their weight, and that others are doing all the work. I dunno... :?

A side note: although I don't want to read Crónica de una muerte anunciada again this year, I definitely recommend it to those who haven't yet read it.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:31 pm

Me gustaría participar también. Ya tengo el libro y de hecho he leído casi todos los cuentos en algún momento u otro pero será interesante releerlos.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Quisiera leerlo, I'm in.
2 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I’m in!

A warning: while I’m always obnoxiously enthusiastic at the beginning, I often trail off and end up behind everyone. But I’ve enjoyed all of the other read-alongs, even if I end up finishing the book long after everyone else.

So far, I think we’ve read four or five books together? Come agua para chocolate; el tiempo entre costuras; both of those terrible zombie books (I didn’t even bother picking up the third one in the trilogy); io non ho paura (the lone Italian book on my list).

I would love to read another one, and I’m open to any book that the group chooses!
3 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Spoonary wrote:@coldrainwater, that's an interesting idea, but I don't know whether it would work, as there is so much variety in the amount of pages each person would do. Also, it may cause some people (me included) to feel like they aren't pulling their weight, and that others are doing all the work. I dunno... :?

A side note: although I don't want to read Crónica de una muerte anunciada again this year, I definitely recommend it to those who haven't yet read it.

Right you are! I tend to thrive on short but intense challenges, but they are as apt to backfire as they are to succeed for many. I am not one to rush through life, least of all reading, but sometimes my enthusiasm gets the best of me. This is a group read, fun for sure, but not a competition. If I know anything about Borges, he can pack a lot of punch into the thinnest of bindings, and I aim to adjust my reading style accordingly. Getting to know an author is much akin to learning a little mini-language inside of itself. At least I felt that way with Umberto Eco. Thanks for the Gabo recommendation. I was thoroughly impressed by his Love in the Time of Cholera and will keep Crónica de una muerte anunciada high on my list.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”