Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Spanish Group

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Systematiker wrote:I went on to watch the new season of Club de Cuervos, saw this advertised, and got hooked on it instead. It's four movie-length segments, a detective show in Cuba. It's rather gritty, and the language is definitely thickly Cuban

What precisely makes the language "thickly Cuban"? Some years ago I listened for a few months to a talk show hosted by a Cuban named Rolando Barral (I think). He spoke very fast (for my ears), and I seem to remember his dropping final s's. Is that what you mean by Cuban accent? Or is it more (or also) a matter of vocabulary?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:31 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Systematiker wrote:I went on to watch the new season of Club de Cuervos, saw this advertised, and got hooked on it instead. It's four movie-length segments, a detective show in Cuba. It's rather gritty, and the language is definitely thickly Cuban

What precisely makes the language "thickly Cuban"? Some years ago I listened for a few months to a talk show hosted by a Cuban named Rolando Barral (I think). He spoke very fast (for my ears), and I seem to remember his dropping final s's. Is that what you mean by Cuban accent? Or is it more (or also) a matter of vocabulary?

It's accent, vocabulary, and (compared to the choices made in the Spanish-language subtitles) particular grammar preferences.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:43 am

Systematiker wrote:It's accent, vocabulary, and (compared to the choices made in the Spanish-language subtitles) particular grammar preferences.

I see. Thanks for your reply.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Keth
Languages: Spanish (N), Catalan (N), English (C1), German (A1).

Postby Keth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:16 pm

¡Buenas tardes a todos y feliz año nuevo! (I know it's a bit late, but I arrived yesterday from a week-long trip, so... :lol: )

Since tomorrow is 'El día de los Reyes Magos' here in Spain, I thought that it'd be a good idea to share with you a short and easy article about the story of this celebration and the typical elements which are associated with it. Enjoy it!

https://www.guiainfantil.com/navidad/reyesmagos.htm

These two are more difficult but really interesting:

http://www.abc.es/20110105/archivo-hist ... 51253.html
https://www.euroresidentes.com/navidad/ ... -magos.htm

PS: If you need help with any vocabulary/grammar point within this text feel free to send me a private message.
5 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Keth wrote:¡Buenas tardes a todos y feliz año nuevo! (I know it's a bit late, but I arrived yesterday from a week-long trip, so... :lol: )

Oh don't worry, it's never too late! A customer said "Happy new year" to me at work today :lol:
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38 am

Reading garyb's log, I saw that he has been watching Aquí no hay quien viva recently.

If you have never heard of/seen this series, I heartily recommend it to each and every one of you. It's a Spanish sitcom that several users of this forum have used in the intermediate plateau stages of their Spanish learning as they have found it to be particularly accessible for what it is, full-speed, extremely natural castellano. It's also great fun, of course :P

For me, watching this series marked a pivotal moment in my learning of Spanish, when I started to understand the more subtle jokes therein without too much effort. When I started watching the series I had to rely on visual clues to figure out what was going on, so this was a big deal.

You can find the whole series on youtube, I believe, so what are you waiting for? :)
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 am

Spoonary wrote:Reading garyb's log, I saw that he has been watching Aquí no hay quien viva recently.

If you have never heard of/seen this series, I heartily recommend it to each and every one of you. It's a Spanish sitcom that several users of this forum have used in the intermediate plateau stages of their Spanish learning as they have found it to be particularly accessible for what it is, full-speed, extremely natural castellano. It's also great fun, of course :P

For me, watching this series marked a pivotal moment in my learning of Spanish, when I started to understand the more subtle jokes therein without too much effort. When I started watching the series I had to rely on visual clues to figure out what was going on, so this was a big deal.

You can find the whole series on youtube, I believe, so what are you waiting for? :)

My Italki tutor already recommended it to me a couple of months ago. I've been planning to watch it, but first I wanted to finish the Argentinian telenovela I was watching and then there was a Danish series I had to watch and now I have to finish my German telenovela, but soon...

So that's two recommendations and I can confirm that it is on YouTube. I've already explained what I'm waiting for. :)
1 x

kunsttyv
Orange Belt
Languages: Norwegian (native)
Spanish (learning)

Postby kunsttyv » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:01 am

I have seen the first five episodes from the first season. It feels like my comprehension of spoken Spanish should improve a lot by watching this series. The last episode was much easier to follow than the first one, but that might just be due to the characters and setting being more familiar. Most of all, it's really fun to watch, and I don't really notice that I'm trying to learn Spanish, I just concentrate on the episode. The super fast colloquial speech is refreshing, and it's hard to go back to slowed down learners materials after this.
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 am

In the interest of getting some conversation going, what series/tv shows are you all watching/have you watched in Spanish?

I haven't watched enough Spanish TV for my liking and I need recommendations for February, when I'll be going all out to bring Spanish firmly back into my life, so fire away! :)
0 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Sandokan! :lol:
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”