Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
M-Biggles
Languages: English, Yiddish (N); Spanish, Classical Hebrew (Begin)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby M-Biggles » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:40 pm

I started studying Spanish! Still building my study habit but always improving. Enjoying the language so far! Hopefully I'll get far with it in 2021!
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 pm

iguanamon wrote:There's a new App available that helps learners use Radio Ambulante to learn Spanish. I saw this thread on twitter today from Daniel Alarcón of Radio Ambulante. I can't include the videos but you can click on the link and see and hear it all.
Daniel Alarcón wrote:Several years ago, when we started doing audience surveys at @radioambulante, we discovered something interesting: 20% of our listeners were using our stories to learn Spanish. So we started asking ourselves what we could do to better serve them.
It's an important question. For more than a year we’ve been working on @Lupa_app, (http://lupa.app) an app that transforms the rigorous journalism of @radioambulante into a fun and efficient method of learning Spanish. Let me show you some of its features.
You can switch seamlessly between the Spanish transcript and the English translation as needed.
With @Lupa_App, you're encouraged to use your ear to do the heavy lifting -- as it should be! -- but you can always turn on extra help when you need it.
And @LupaApp helps you keep track of new vocabulary you've learned, and learn colloquial phrases as they're used in different contexts -- so you're learning Spanish as it's really spoken!
We're so excited about this app for a lot of reasons, but mainly because it will give people who aren't yet fluent a chance to hear the amazing journalism we do. To hear Spanish that's real, with innovative tools that transform great stories into effective language lessons.

Looks like an easy and convenient way to use a great podcast to help Spanish learners incorporate native material in their learning on a tablet or phone.

Es exactamente lo que estaba buscando, although Lupa does cost money (as of today, 2-10-2021, $12/mo billed monthly or $99/12 one-time non-recurring purchase, and there are student discounts*), which you pay via credit card.

* Your status as a student will be verified via your verified student email. Not a student, so I can't tell you how that works.

I searched this site for further mention of Lupa, but found none. The app works a lot like Lyricstraining, if you are familiar with that tool. If not, the Lupa site offers a free trial with two podcasts that you can download and familiarize yourself with.
Before you shell out your cash, probably you should check out the kind of stories Radio Ambulante's podcasts offer, which you can do for free. There are lots of stories, lots of voices. See above in iguanamon's post for links to Lupa and to Radio Ambulante.
Just now I ordered a year's worth of access, so we'll see what happens. Apps like this for other languages would be spiffy! 8-)
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:16 am

Of possible interest to this group, Andrei, author of The Untranslated blog (a great blog and at least one page of it is worth reading by everyone here), is starting a book club. The fourth book will be in Spanish, but Andrei hasn't chosen which one yet. Possible choices include: Los sorias by Alberto Laiseca or La tejedora de coronas by Germán Espinosa.

The main goal of the Book Club is to encourage learners of a foreign language to read a long, challenging novel in that language reviewed on my blog.

Caveat emptor: this is a Patreon thing, so it would cost you. Also: I gain no benefit from advertising this. I simply love reading his blog and want to support him.
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Weird accents
The interview between Veronica Macedo and Marcelo Rojo qualifies as an weird-spanish-accents programme according to Ms Macedo.

She is originally from Venezuela, but spent a long period in Spanish-speaking-Miami, and Mr Rojo is originally from Argentina but has spent a lot of time in Mexico, giving them both unusual accents says Ms Macedo.
3 x

whux
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Spanish (A2)

Postby whux » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:22 pm

I've seen a lot of recommendations here (and on other sites) for reading, learning grammar and listening, but how is everyone practicing their speaking skills? For me, and assuming for many others, that is the most difficult part of learning a language. I'm still searching for good options (online) to converse with people in Spanish.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:15 am

whux wrote:I've seen a lot of recommendations here (and on other sites) for reading, learning grammar and listening, but how is everyone practicing their speaking skills? For me, and assuming for many others, that is the most difficult part of learning a language. I'm still searching for good options (online) to converse with people in Spanish.

This Contigo app might deliver us what we want, hopefully they can take it to the next levels soon. This would be the first app I am prepared to pay for.
I think the current voice they have is Google's, which is good but can't compete with Edge Browser's round 40! Spanish voices/accents.

A peek into "Contigo" - An AI assisted tool to help learn Spanish through conversations
Contigo Demo Youtube Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwF7j0nRtdM

Dear learners and conquerors of Spanish,

Recently, two of my colleagues who are avid language learners and software engineers created a tool that utilizes conversational AI to help them learn Spanish.

When I heard about this early prototype project that they were working on, I was instantly excited by the thought of having a bridge between learning a language, and actually having a conversation in it.

Their project, Contigo, is a language learning tool that utilizes GPT-3 to provide a conversational AI “tutor”. The tool is a bridge to building conversational confidence, while also displaying intuitive grammar correction. The goal is to provide you with a personalized learning experience that evolves as your language ability advances.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/commen ... &context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spanish/commen ... &context=3
------------
When the beta launches, we will have an array of voice options from Contigo with different local accents! As for cultural responses from the perspective of particular Spanish speaking areas (Spain, Mexico, etc) we are doing research into this and would love to add it to the app in the future!
2 x

Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Postby Kullman » Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:35 am

Permitidme un pequeño "anuncio".

Llevo tiempo buscando, sin demasiado éxito, compañeros de conversación con los que mejorar mi inglés.

No es necesario, realmente, que esta última sea su lengua nativa. Con tener la oportunidad de mejorar mi soltura al hablar, me sobra.

Si hay alguien interesado en conversaciones inglés / español, dejadme un mensaje privado, y me pondré en contacto con vosotros.

Un saludo.
1 x

Matthew Longfoot
Languages: English and Spanish

Postby Matthew Longfoot » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:16 am

Hi.

I am new here. I am English but live in Barcelona where I am learning Spanish, working, and creating a new life for myself. I am here to bounce help and advice from people wanting to do the same.

Many thanks

Matt
3 x

Brock1
Languages: Speak English want to learn all

Postby Brock1 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Hello, I am brand new. I’m not sure if this is a dead thread. I understand basic Spanish want to study meet some Spanish speaks to become friends with and learn the language
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:20 pm

Brock1 wrote:Hello, I am brand new. I’m not sure if this is a dead thread. I understand basic Spanish want to study meet some Spanish speaks to become friends with and learn the language

Hi, Brock1. Not a dead thread. Welcome to the LLORG Forum. Good luck with your pursuits.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Study Groups”