Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Kraut » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 pm

By what kind of subordinate clause can you replace the "teniendo .." structure`?

" Las habitaciones, es verdad que estan mas decentes, teniendo en cuenta que tienes que esperar 30 minutos o mas a que llegue el agua caliente para ducharte, si es que llega."
1 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:16 pm

I understand the Spanish sentence, but I don't understand your question.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:51 pm

tungemål wrote:I understand the Spanish sentence, but I don't understand your question.

What I mean is how do you translate it, by what subordinate clause?
0 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 am

Teniendo en cuenta means "Considering", "Taking into account", "with that in mind", so you can replace for this expresions also with gerunds:

- Sabiendo que (Knowing that)
- Considerando
- viendo que

You can also change this gerund form for a "impersonal you" form, or the impersonal "se" form:

- Si sabes que / si se sabe que
- Si consideras que / Si se considera que
- Si tienes en cuenta que / si se tiene en cuenta que

But also, with other clauses with the same sense than a "Because" one:

- Debido a
- Ya que
- Visto que
- Puesto que
- En razón de
- En virtud de (Only if you describe positive reasons)
- Gracias a (Only if you describe positive reasons)
- En vista de

And remember, for the latter four, you need to follow them by an infinitive. Or you can add a "que" and a subjonctive clause
12 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:32 pm

I thought I'd give you a tip:
The RNE programme "Un idioma sin fronteras" that de vez en cuando has some interesting episodes, this week has one on El judeoespañol - that is, Ladino. I just listened to it and understood most of it.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:29 pm

I don't quite understand "pero que minimo" (is there a verb missing?) and "no pasa nada" (does it mean "They don't bother to keep the customers satisfied"?

Estabamos super cansados y ni siquiera pregunté, pero qué mínimo una breve indicación de los servicios del hotel, ni siquiera me dijeron donde era el desayuno, ni el horario y tampoco me indican la clave wifi ni donde está escrita. En definitiva, el personal es poco amable, no pasa nada...
0 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:54 pm

Kraut wrote:I don't quite understand "pero que minimo" (is there a verb missing?) and "no pasa nada" (does it mean "They don't bother to keep the customers satisfied"?

Estabamos super cansados y ni siquiera pregunté, pero qué mínimo una breve indicación de los servicios del hotel, ni siquiera me dijeron donde era el desayuno, ni el horario y tampoco me indican la clave wifi ni donde está escrita. En definitiva, el personal es poco amable, no pasa nada...

I'll leave the first part to someone more experienced, it makes sense to me but I'm not sure I could give a good translation. Basically saying how minimal the hotel customer service was.

el personal es poco amable, no pasa nada...

The staff was not very friendly (lit. was little friendly), nothing happens (i.e. they don't do much) is how I understand it.
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Brian84
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15720

Postby Brian84 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:57 am

Just stopping in to say hi and join the Spanish group. I joined LLORG a few days ago after long lurking, and I've officially started my learning log. Spanish is the first language that I'm attempting any serious self-study of, and the advice on here has been extremely helpful so far. It's nice to see an active community supporting each other's efforts like this.

I'm new enough that I don't have buckets of wisdom to share yet, so take my advice with a very large piece of rock salt – but here's my initial attempt to give back:

If you're a beginner and looking for some fun comprehensible input, I started reading "Calvin and Hobbes en Español" today. It's free online, and I'm finding it comprehensible enough to be educational after ~25 lessons of Assimil. I wouldn't be surprised if you can start with it earlier than that. A search shows me that it's been mentioned on LLORG before (not just for Spanish), but in case you haven't come across it yet, I recommend it.
4 x
Spanish:
: 100 / 100 Assimil Spanish with Ease
: 30 / 52 Destinos

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:18 am

Welcome/bienvenido, Brian84. Good to see you here and looking forward to following your log. If you have the online link, legal of course, please edit your last post and include it.
1 x

Brian84
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15720

Postby Brian84 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:28 am

iguanamon wrote:Welcome/bienvenido, Brian84. Good to see you here and looking forward to following your log. If you have the online link, legal of course, please edit your last post and include it.

I found it on a site called GoComics, which I wasn't familiar with, so I wanted to make sure it was legitimate before posting a link. It looks like it is, in fact, legitimate...though you'll have to endure ads unless you sign up for a premium account.

Here's the link: Calvin and Hobbes en Español. It's a translation of the original comic strip, the quality of which I can't vouch for, but maybe someone with (far) more Spanish knowledge than me can.

It looks like they have Spanish translations of a lot of other comic strips owned by the Andrews McMeel Universal syndicate.

EDIT:
For anyone who's interested in having parallel texts for Calvin and Hobbes...
The first day that Calvin and Hobbes en Español was published was March 1st, 2004.
That aligns with the original Calvin and Hobbes from February 7th, 1994.
It appears that they stay in sync from that point on, at least as far ahead as I've checked.
4 x
Spanish:
: 100 / 100 Assimil Spanish with Ease
: 30 / 52 Destinos

Return to “Study Groups”