Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
the1whoknocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Intermediate)

Probably 'gonna' be next: Portuguese
Mayby one day: French & Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5253

Re: Spanish Group

Postby the1whoknocks » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:10 pm

AK47 wrote:Anyone have suggestions for audiolibros, that can be used on the iPhone, with high quality recordings and good narrators?

I had a subscription to Audible and their books were of good quality.

Not exactly what you requested but often I find the audio versions of books I'm interested in reading on YouTube. My carrier allows me to watch YouTube without having it count towards my allotted data so listening to them there is not usually a problem.

Here are a few examples:
- El Coronel no tiene quien le escriba - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chs4oT_ ... S&index=10
- El prncipito https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Derro58 ... OS&index=1
- Aura - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDe5DgaWVXQ&t=2878s
- Confesiones de un gangster economico - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPZvuix ... qp8W0vtmy1
- Noticia de un secuestro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqOLQD ... OS&index=4

Not all of these are professional voice actors but sometimes I like just hearing someone read in a clear voice. Two actors I really enjoyed listening to was Alejo Felipe and Karl Hoffman in Los 7 Habitos de la Gente Altamente Efectiva and El Leon, La Bruja y El Ropero: Las Cronicas de Narnia, respectively.
5 x
"Wax on, wax off" - Mr. Myagi

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:06 pm

Raul Amundaray is the best narrator for audio books. He did the da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. Last time I checked they were both on ivoox. They are also readily available on inter-library loan.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:34 pm

iguanamon wrote:The Cervantes Institute has a lending library Biblioteca Electrónica. It costs 10 Euros to join for a year and gives access to thousands of books, audiobooks and video in Spanish. For Spanish-speakers/learners this is a great resource worth looking into for cheap/legal access to a lot of Spanish language media. They also have a Club virtual de lectura where you can read and interact with others. The link will explain it in more detail. It definitely looks interesting.
Instituto Cervantes wrote:La biblioteca electrónica es un conjunto de recursos y servicios en línea del Instituto Cervantes.
A través de la biblioteca electrónica se pueden prestar y leer libros digitales, permite escuchar música y audiolibros, ofrece acceso a recursos electrónicos (bases de datos, diccionarios, enciclopedias, directorios…) e invita a la participación en clubes virtuales de lectura.
Para hacer uso de los recursos y servicios de la biblioteca electrónica, hay que hacerse socio a través de la plataforma de comercio electrónico del Instituto Cervantes, la tarifa es de 10 € al año.
Desde cualquier lugar, a cualquier hora, con cualquier dispositivo...

Have you tried using the lending library? When I click on the catalogue, I get a warning that the site is engaged in unsafe behaviours. I assume my virus protection is probably overreacting, but has anyone actually tried it? Or perhaps know what is wrong?
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:06 pm

I haven't had a problem. I use it on my tablet.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeah, I had an issue logging into the ebook part of the library the other night - it kept saying my password was wrong. I read the help page which recommended using firefox on android devices, but that made no difference. I'll try again later tonight and if I still have problems I guess I'll dust off my formal Spanish and send them an email. :?
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Yesterday I clicked the 'más información' link which led me to a form. I filled it in and sent it, wondering whether to address it to 'estimados señores' or whether that would be too formal, and received a reply today with my new password, which worked. They also recommended that I change the password for security, of course, but when I did that it stopped working, until I went back a page and it worked again :lol:
2 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Never mind me, just passing through.

AK47 wrote:Anyone have suggestions for audiolibros, that can be used on the iPhone, with high quality recordings and good narrators?

-AK

If you're not very very picky about the quality, there's Novelas y Relatos on ivoox (http://www.ivoox.com/en/podcast-novela- ... 822_1.html). The quality on some of them are better than others though. The narrators are professional.

There's also Teatre Radiofònic (http://www.ivoox.com/en/suscripciones_jb_5091559_1.html), but these are more like "audiomovies" and a lot of the stories are less known. NB, some of them are in Catalan.

Edit: Here's a Christmas Carol adaption (in Spanish, the Catalan woman is only there for the intro) for those who are still in the spirit. :lol:

http://www.ivoox.com/en/radioteatre-el- ... 217_1.html
1 x

Hundetier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Deutsch, English, Español
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4873

Postby Hundetier » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:42 pm

Does/did anyone of you work with Platiquemos? I got an offer to download it for 35$ (all 8 levels) and I am very tempted.
I had tried the old FSI courses before, but couldn't use them because I was not able to read the (very bad) scans; the accompanying pdfs of Platiquemos are of much better quality.
But I am not sure, if this course would be helpful for me. My current spanish level should be very low intermediate in regard to listening and reading. My other learning sources are a mixture of Grammar and Vocab learning books, Podcasts, Blogs or Sites like VeinteMundos, and Glossika Fluency.
0 x

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:59 am

First time posting in the group, so hello everyone.

Just wondering if anyone else here has used languagezen.com, I've spent some time dabbling with it myself (if you can call 8 hours total time spent so far dabbling) but I haven't actually paid for it yet. I just use the free content and only 15 minutes at a time, it cuts you off after 15 mins until another 3 hours goes by. I like it overall so far and I'm interested to hear other opinions on it.
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:21 am

Hundetier wrote:Does/did anyone of you work with Platiquemos? I got an offer to download it for 35$ (all 8 levels) and I am very tempted.
I had tried the old FSI courses before, but couldn't use them because I was not able to read the (very bad) scans; the accompanying pdfs of Platiquemos are of much better quality.
But I am not sure, if this course would be helpful for me. My current spanish level should be very low intermediate in regard to listening and reading. My other learning sources are a mixture of Grammar and Vocab learning books, Podcasts, Blogs or Sites like VeinteMundos, and Glossika Fluency.

I have never worked with either FSI or its derivative- Platiquemos. I have worked with DLI courses which are similar in having lots of drills. I do believe you would benefit from working with either course, FSI or Platiquemos. The drills serve (in my experience) to make the grammar automatic. You might give the new FSI site a new look. I found the pdf's readable. A course like this will help to tie together what you are learning with native materials and complement them well.

Welcome to the group, jsega.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”