Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Andy E » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:52 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:I probably need to spend a lot more time reading and listening to really understand and appreciate the finer nuances of the Spanish subjunctive. :lol:

Really understand it? I'm still trying - that's why I have "Perpetual Learner" next to my username on Reddit Spanish :D
1 x

Balltongue
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(n). Learning italian, japanese, french, german, brazilian portuguese, south korean, mandarin and cantonese.

Postby Balltongue » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 am

Wait wait brossss

Let's suposse my friend Camilo lives with his parents, I'm passing by his home to say hi and I see this very hot chick all the sudden. I ask "bro... who's the hottie" and he says "my sister, bro." Then I could say:

No sabía que tenias una hermana.

No sabía que tenias hermanos.

No sabía que tuvieras una hermana.

No conocía tu hermana.

Nunca había visto a tu hermana.

Now if I see in the living room a photo of a chick and he says "she was my sister, she died two years ago, I could say:

No sabía que habias tenido una hermana.

No sabía que tuviste una hermana.
3 x
Deleted account.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:27 am

Balltongue wrote:Wait wait brossss

Let's suposse my friend Camilo lives with his parents, I'm passing by his home to say hi and I see this very hot chick all the sudden. I ask "bro... who's the hottie" and he says "my sister, bro." Then I could say:

No sabía que tenias una hermana.

No sabía que tenias hermanos.

No sabía que tuvieras una hermana.

No conocía tu hermana.

Nunca había visto a tu hermana.

Now if I see in the living room a photo of a chick and he says "she was my sister, she died two years ago, I could say:

No sabía que habias tenido una hermana.

No sabía que tuviste una hermana.

Chick?
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am

Bluepaint wrote:
Chick?

I just assumed Camilo and his friend were roosters.
5 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:11 am

Guys, great news

My listening skills are finally coming together. This is pretty awesome for me, yall don't understand haha

There is a new cartoon on Netflix called Las Leyendas. It's originally in Spanish as well. I did watch it with subtitles and I could understand 70% of it ! (also a pretty fun series even for an old head like me)

But that is not the good news. There is another cartoon that premiered last night on Netflix SA called The Hollow (El Vacío). It's dubbed to Mexican Spanish but I undestood 90% of it.... and wait for it WITHOUT SUBTITLES ! I do realize it's a kids/teenager show and the plot is as straightforward as it gets BUT STILL. I watched an interview with Antonio Banderas just to bring myself down to earth :lol:

This is actually great because a few months ago I was very frustrated with my listening skills. But ever since I have just been doing Clozemaster each day and reading short stories, articles and things of that ilk. I have yet to start focused listening practiced due to my awful work schedule but that has changed and now I am back to normal hours, so who knows what I can achieve going forward !!
8 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am

2018-06-10 (4).png

50 Day Streak Clozemaster
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Balltongue
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(n). Learning italian, japanese, french, german, brazilian portuguese, south korean, mandarin and cantonese.

Postby Balltongue » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Jaleel10 wrote:There is another cartoon that premiered last night on Netflix SA called The Hollow (El Vacío). It's dubbed to Mexican Spanish but I undestood 90% of it.

That one, that very episode, repeat the hell out of it. A hundred times. I had that same experience with an episode of Seinfeld long time ago, it's so exciting.
2 x
Deleted account.

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:25 am

This sentence "Le mató su propio hermano" was translated as: He was killed by his own brother.

I translated it as: He killed his own brother, although I think that as it doesn't really specify it could mean either - so context is required.

"He was killed by his own brother" I would translate more clearly as: Le mató por su propio hermano.

Am I completely wrong, especially in that without context it could mean either?
0 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:51 am

Bex wrote:This sentence "Le mató su propio hermano" was translated as: He was killed by his own brother.

I translated it as: He killed his own brother, although I think that as it doesn't really specify it could mean either - so context is required.

"He was killed by his own brother" I would translate more clearly as: Le mató por su propio hermano.

Am I completely wrong, especially in that without context it could mean either?

No, "por" doesn't belong there. The original sentence and translation is correct. He killed his own brother would be: "Mató a su propio hermano." (A sad google search result confirms this.)

The sentence specifies the context perfectly.
The victim is a classical Complemento directo in a sentence in the active voice. A wonderful example actually.
In the original sentence, CD is "Le" at the beginning of the sentence, and subject is hermano (or more precisely su propio hermano).
In "Mató a su propio hermano", the living person being our CD comes after "a".

What could be confusing here (I guess): use of LE for complemento directo. It is possible, when we are referring to a man.

http://www.rae.es/consultas/uso-de-los- ... smo-loismo
[Dada la gran extensión en el uso de los hablantes cultos de ciertas zonas de España de la forma le cuando el referente es un hombre, se admite, únicamente para el masculino singular, el uso de le en función de complemento directo de persona: ¿Has visto a Jorge? Sí, le vi ayer en el parque].

http://udep.edu.pe/castellanoactual/se- ... i-o-le-vi/
La cuestión se complica cuando aparece la preposición “a” delante del complemento. Sucede que no todos los complementos directos se introducen sin “a”, pues existen los complementos directos de persona a los que les antecede obligatoriamente esta preposición. En todos estos casos las personas nombradas son las implicadas directamente en la acción verbal por lo que la correcta sustitución con formas de pronombre es: La vi, La invité, Lo convencí; y no *Le vi, *Le invité, *Le convencí. A pesar de esto, y debido a su arraigo histórico, la Academia acepta el leísmo, pero solo el referido a persona singular y en masculino, como es el caso de “Le vi (Vi a Carlos)”. En los demás, el uso es considerado incorrecto.

Sin más que añadir por el momento, solo me queda invitarlos a usar reflexivamente nuestra lengua.

(this is exactly one of the things where tons of input help, so that we can "usar reflexivamente la lengua")

Your sentence "Le mató por su propio hermano." is not wrong but I'd say the meaning is "he/she killed him for his own brother" or "he was killed for/because of his own brother". A great telenovela sentence :-)
4 x

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:57 am

And "he was killed by his own brother" would be "fue matado por su propio hermano"
3 x

Return to “Study Groups”