Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby James29 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:06 am

iguanamon wrote:
James29 wrote:...I have a hard time believing Dominicans do not make up a larger percentage of the US population. Between Dominicans, Puerto Ricans and Cubans I'd say the Caribbean is pretty solidly represented in the US. In NYC, for example, close to 1/3 of the population must be Caribbean Spanish speakers. ...

Yeah, me too, but Pew Hispanic is very reliable and they use US Census data. I do believe that's why much of the programming of the US Spanish-speaking TV networks is heavily skewed toward Mexican content. Puerto Ricans are not immigrants to the US per se, because they are American citizens. They may well be under-counted as a result. Since the island's persistent economic troubles and recent bankruptcy, the island is hemorrhaging people at an ever increasing rate. Of course this can only generate an increasing downward and self-reinforcing spiral. Flights to Miami, Orlando and Nueva York are packed. We here in the VI are not far behind our Puerto Rican neighbors. We're next in line for the bankruptcy train, but they'll have to drag me screaming and kicking out of here!

Interesting. I did not think of the impact of Puerto Rico's bankruptcy on the increase in flow of Puerto Ricans to the mainland. What's happening with real estate down that way? Is it a good time to start looking for beachfront condos or would it be better to wait a while longer?
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue May 16, 2017 10:31 pm

I don't know whether these videos have been mentioned before, but I have to share them with you all, because I can't stop watching them for some reason. :lol:

The videos are of 5 women (one each from Spain, Chile, Venezuela, Colombia and Argentina) discussing various topics and comparing the names they each give to food, clothing etc. They're really light-hearted and also particularly interesting for someone like me who has mainly focussed on peninsular Spanish. Click the links below to go watch them on youtube.

Video 1 - Comida
Video 2 - Ropa
Video 3 - Navidad
5 x

ronsat
Languages: English (n), French (conversational), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby ronsat » Sun May 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi - just discovered this forum - and am really impressed with the resources that are listed in the Spanish Group. I had been active in the HTLAL forum, but hadn't checked in for a couple of years.

My own experience with Spanish is that about 8 years ago, I decided to learn some Spanish - partly as an excuse to spend time in Latin America. I used Pimsleur, Destinos, and Platiquemos, various easy-read Spanish books as well as local college courses. Being Canadian, and having lived in France, verb tenses and conjugations came easily as they are so close to French, and you can cheat a lot on vocabulary by using French words and changing the endings (doesn't always work.) However, comprehension is always a problem, particularly with Telenovellas - but even newscasts - as the Spanish seems to be so fast.

My favourite way of learning is spending time doing a one-on-one course for 2-3 weeks at a time, in Latin America. I have spent time at language schools in Quito Ecuador, Arequipa Peru, Leticia and Medellin Colombia, Granada and Leon Nicaragua, and Antigua Guatemala. What I really enjoy about the courses is that since they are conversational (I can learn grammar at home) - and you learn so much more about the country, the politics, the culture, then you would as a tourist. I have written up descriptions of some of these schools in the "Immersion programs - testimonials wanted" section of the HTLAL forum.

So - I am looking for another place to go this summer. I was looking at Bolivia, however airfare there from Toronto or Detroit is far higher than to any of the other places I have been. A little put off by the violence levels in El Salvador, Honduras and Venezuela. Any other suggestions? Is there a place in the forum where we could post our impressions of immersion language schools?

Thanks for setting up such a valuable site.
4 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Mon May 29, 2017 12:59 pm

ronsat wrote:So - I am looking for another place to go this summer. I was looking at Bolivia, however airfare there from Toronto or Detroit is far higher than to any of the other places I have been. A little put off by the violence levels in El Salvador, Honduras and Venezuela. Any other suggestions? Is there a place in the forum where we could post our impressions of immersion language schools?

I really love going to Buenos Aires! Lovely accent, tango music, crazy city, so lots to do and fairly safe as long as you know where you're going. Some of the barrios further away from the centre are dangerous, so you have to make sure you don't accidentally walk into one of those, but the touristy areas are big and usually really central. In most of the central places where we went I felt completely safe with an expensive camera around my neck - I'm a photographer by profession. I can't recommend any language schools because we always visit family there, but I definitely know that there are many. Only downside is that they use voseo, which might be confusing. If you choose BsAs, make sure that you get accommodation near your school *and* near the Metro. Otherwise you might spend hours and hours on crowded buses. I'm not exaggerating, in rush hour it took us 2h to get from Palermo to the neighbourhood where my husband's parents live and my husband was standing the entire time!

All of this said, if you want to go in summer, it might not be the right choice. It's damn cold there in July/August thanks to the humidity of the river, you get chilled to the bone even though it never snows. It also gets unbearably hot in December/January - 35 degrees easy. The best time to travel is October / November and March / April. In any case I would still totally recommend it, definitely my favourite place on this planet and my favourite way of speaking Spanish too!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon May 29, 2017 2:39 pm

ronsat wrote: Is there a place in the forum where we could post our impressions of immersion language schools?

Welcome to our new and improved forum and the new Spanish Group (taking the place of TAC), ronsat!
Please post your impressions and details of your experience of Spanish immersion schools here.
Last edited by iguanamon on Mon May 29, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:55 pm

ronsat wrote:Hi - just discovered this forum - and am really impressed with the resources that are listed in the Spanish Group. I had been active in the HTLAL forum, but hadn't checked in for a couple of years.

My own experience with Spanish is that about 8 years ago, I decided to learn some Spanish - partly as an excuse to spend time in Latin America. I used Pimsleur, Destinos, and Platiquemos, various easy-read Spanish books as well as local college courses. Being Canadian, and having lived in France, verb tenses and conjugations came easily as they are so close to French, and you can cheat a lot on vocabulary by using French words and changing the endings (doesn't always work.) However, comprehension is always a problem, particularly with Telenovellas - but even newscasts - as the Spanish seems to be so fast.

My favourite way of learning is spending time doing a one-on-one course for 2-3 weeks at a time, in Latin America. I have spent time at language schools in Quito Ecuador, Arequipa Peru, Leticia and Medellin Colombia, Granada and Leon Nicaragua, and Antigua Guatemala. What I really enjoy about the courses is that since they are conversational (I can learn grammar at home) - and you learn so much more about the country, the politics, the culture, then you would as a tourist. I have written up descriptions of some of these schools in the "Immersion programs - testimonials wanted" section of the HTLAL forum.

So - I am looking for another place to go this summer. I was looking at Bolivia, however airfare there from Toronto or Detroit is far higher than to any of the other places I have been. A little put off by the violence levels in El Salvador, Honduras and Venezuela. Any other suggestions? Is there a place in the forum where we could post our impressions of immersion language schools?

Thanks for setting up such a valuable site.

I am an expert in being cheap for language traveling. First, go to the airport website for where you want to fly out of (Detroit/Toronto) and see where they have direct flights to/from. Not all airlines will show up in online search results so you need to go directly to the airport page. My guess is that you will direct flights to Cancun, Puerto Rico and Cuba from those cities. Then, go directly to the airline website and search for the cheapest direct flights. Most sites have a way where you can see how much cheaper it is if you modify your dates by a few days. You, of course, do not need direct flights, but I have always preferred direct and it seems to always be cheaper (and much less hassle).

Or, you can use skyscanner.com which has a nice search function which allows you to simply enter in your departure airport and search open ended in terms of dates and destinations. It will show you the cheapest places and dates to travel. Simply pick the cheapest destination where Spanish is spoken.

I think your best bet for cheapness from Detroit/Toronto will be either Cancun or Puerto Rico. Cancun would be a great option. Go there and then take a bus to Merida or Tulum or take a ferry to one of the islands.
2 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 pm

I may not invoke this for some time, but since we are on the topic of international travel (I love the idea of short immersion bursts as ronsat described), I like the idea of planting seeds and planning far in advance of actual need. I live in an ideal city (Houston) both for international travel and Spanish immersion. We have two major airports, IAH and Hobby. For those of you who have done it, where would you go for Spanish immersion if you were in my shoes? Given my proximity to Mexico, that is a very real option (both via car and airways). My local friends give me very mixed responses about traveling in Mexico now. Some of them flat out tell me not to risk it due to dangerous times though they may be speaking of their specific region. Others are more optimistic and encouraging. I am a tall 30 something white gringo that definitely would not blend in. I have traveled to Costa Rica once before and stayed in San Jose for one week (great experience but it was dangerous). I may not have strong language wanderlust but I am prone to exploring and enjoying a city on foot (alone). San Jose is/was a very dangerous city in that respect and I'd like to plan for a safer experience going forward.

I have a strong feeling that I may just sit back and listen to answers to ronsat's question as spending time in language immersion schools sounds like a fantastic option.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 pm

coldrainwater wrote:Given my proximity to Mexico, that is a very real option (both via car and airways). My local friends give me very mixed responses about traveling in Mexico now. Some of them flat out tell me not to risk it due to dangerous times though they may be speaking of their specific region. Others are more optimistic and encouraging. I am a tall 30 something white gringo that definitely would not blend in.

I lived in Mexico for all for 2015. I'm a 30-something white gringa, definitely didn't blend in.

I stayed away from the northern border states and the Gulf of California states. Otherwise I wandered at will via cheap buses between the states of Guanajuato, Querétaro, Puebla, Veracruz, Oaxaca, Yucatán, Quintana Roo, and Mexico City. Big cities and rural towns. I used common sense, thus I didn't wander drunk and alone into dark alleys while waving cash. ;) I had no trouble anywhere — even when doing Couchsurfing in strangers' homes for several months. I've been more tense in some big cities in the US, to be honest.

So if Mexico appeals to you and is convenient, I say go for it. If you have any specific questions, I'm more than happy to chatter on about my experiences in Mexico. ;)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

ronsat

Postby ronsat » Wed May 31, 2017 12:48 am

OK - I'll post some updated reviews of the schools that I have been to. My favourite is Andean Global Studies in Quito. I was there for a couple of weeks in 2010, and then another week in 2016. In both cases, I had a program with 4 hours one-on-one lessons in the morning, and 3 hours of cultural visits (museums etc.) in the afternoon. The advantage of the cultural program is that you are simply chatting with the teacher during the visit, (and afterwards in a cafe) - so really forcing you to speak in Spanish.

This school is well run, has good teachers. The homestays are well organized. Back in 2010, the price was incredibly good, but has gone up since then. Antigua Guatemala has better prices now. AGS has a special course for medical students - where they spend half days in a hospital dealing with patients. The medical students I talked to seemed pleased with the course.

The school runs weekend trips - but most of the students, when I was there, decided to organize trips to Mindo and Otavalo on regular buses - much cheaper. They have subsidiary schools in other cities in Ecuador, including one in the Amazon which is on my list for the future.

Their website is http://www.andeanglobalstudies.org/
1 x

ronsat

Postby ronsat » Wed May 31, 2017 12:53 am

The second school I went to, in 2011, was Llama Education in Arequipa Peru. This is a small school - whose strength is flexibility. By this time, my conversational ability was good, and so I ended up having a lot of conversational courses with several teachers. You can basically arrange for any number of hours of teaching per week (currently at $6/hr). I had 6 hours of classes per day - and had 2 hours with each of three teachers. The Director of the school, Maria Huaman, talked to each teacher before and after each class to coordinate the lessons - so the variety of teachers actually worked well. Quite a few of these classes were actually visits to interesting places in Arequipa.

Again, I was pleased with the school. An interesting side note - before I went to Peru, I phoned a friend who was living in Lima. He suggested that Lima was not a great place to study Spanish - but that Arequipa or Trujillo would be better - due to the size and climate of Lima. I did spend some time in Lima with him at the end of the trip - but I believe his recommendation to be accurate.

Their website is http://www.llamaeducation.com/
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”