Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
bpasseri
White Belt
Languages: .
Native: English
Advanced: Spanish, French
Intermediate: Italian, Portuguese
Beginner: Mandarin Chinese
Dabbled: Japanese, Greek, German, Esperanto
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7995

Re: Spanish Group

Postby bpasseri » Sat May 05, 2018 8:37 pm

I will definitely be reading it at some point as well, but I have enough Spanish books right now to tide me over for awhile so I can start whenever! Would it make more sense to pick an end date rather than a start date so then everyone can plan to read it when it's most convenient for them? That way we know when it's safe to start discussing and don't have to worry about spoilers or how far along everyone is in the book :D
0 x
: 1900 / 2500 ES Books
: 390 / 4500 ES Movies

: 480 / 2500 FR Books
: 90 / 4500 FR Movies

: 0 / 2500 IT Books
: 0 / 4500 IT Movies

: 250 / 2500 PT Books
: 360 / 4500 PT Movies

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat May 05, 2018 9:29 pm

bpasseri wrote:I will definitely be reading it at some point as well, but I have enough Spanish books right now to tide me over for awhile so I can start whenever! Would it make more sense to pick an end date rather than a start date so then everyone can plan to read it when it's most convenient for them? That way we know when it's safe to start discussing and don't have to worry about spoilers or how far along everyone is in the book :D

Speaking of spoilers, any reading with admin rights, can we enable spoiler tags? I think a lot of us don't comment on books we have read or are reading out of respect not to spoil the ending or any intermediate event. Once we have read it and time has passed, gone also are many of the thoughts and comments we might have shared. We have to keep in mind that whatever language we are reading and whatever book, others will read it in the future. Having the tags would make them thread safe.
0 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 pm

I'm open to all suggestions which might make this read-along better and more successful than our previous ones. For example, if someone else would like to take charge, that would be appreciated, especially if they have some ideas about how best to lead a book discussion - I'm useless :roll:
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sun May 06, 2018 5:14 pm

NoManches wrote:
Stelle wrote:I just bought a paperback copy through amazon.ca for 11 canadian dollars. So whether or not we choose it for our next read along, I´ll definitely be reading it!

Would you mind telling me which copy you got? I am finding it very hard to find a paperback copy and I am not sure that the Kindle version I got is a good version. The Kindle version I bought is only 120 Pages which seems very short

Bah!!! I just checked the site to give you the link, and realized that it was an English translation! I requested to cancel. So thanks for saving me 11 dollars!

I’m not sure I can get the book, so I may or may not be joining the rest of you.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun May 06, 2018 6:22 pm

Stelle wrote:
NoManches wrote:
Stelle wrote:I just bought a paperback copy through amazon.ca for 11 canadian dollars. So whether or not we choose it for our next read along, I´ll definitely be reading it!

Would you mind telling me which copy you got? I am finding it very hard to find a paperback copy and I am not sure that the Kindle version I got is a good version. The Kindle version I bought is only 120 Pages which seems very short

Bah!!! I just checked the site to give you the link, and realized that it was an English translation! I requested to cancel. So thanks for saving me 11 dollars!

I’m not sure I can get the book, so I may or may not be joining the rest of you.

I bought it from amazon.es, but I don’t know what shipping costs would be like to Canada. I usually just buy a bunch of books at the same time to justify the shipping.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun May 06, 2018 7:37 pm

Book Depository has free worldwide shipping. Here is the copy I bought. Definitely worth a look!
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun May 06, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm in! I'll be finishing la sombra del viento this week or the next and I'm really looking forward to reading along!
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Mon May 07, 2018 1:07 am

NoManches wrote:Would you mind telling me which copy you got? I am finding it very hard to find a paperback copy and I am not sure that the Kindle version I got is a good version. The Kindle version I bought is only 120 Pages which seems very short

I purchased the same Kindle version that you did, at a good price if I recall. Out of curiosity, after converting it to text, I checked its length and an endpoint against several other sources and found that it appears to be complete and faithfully replicated despite the glitch with it not opening on the cloud reader (a red herring). I believe I can also explain the difference in page length quoted by some forum members. There are versions of the book that also include El llano en llamas, yielding the longer page count (over 200 pages). Specifically, I purchased stateside the paperback linked below at a price that I thought too expensive before noting why I might not have needed to do so. Oops. Looking back on it, what Amazon did to get me to make the plunge was to offer two-day, highly reliable shipping.

Pedro Páramo ; y, El llano en llamas (Colección Popular) (Spanish Edition) (Spanish) Paperback – 1983

Personally, I plan to read both since, in sum, they are under 300 pages. It may end up being such a good read that I am happy to have the paperback.
1 x

ed101langs
White Belt

Postby ed101langs » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 am

Are you a Spanish speaker looking for regular contact with a native English speaker?

My name is Edmund. I'm 29 years old and I'm from London. Let me tell you about my method for improving my Spanish.

Using sites like Duolingo and Babbel sure are great for learning new vocabulary and phrases.But what should we do when we become more advanced learners?

I've found that the best thing to do (other than booking frequent lessons with qualified tutors) is to find a language exchange partner who enjoys debating the same topics as you do. (By using sites like Conversation Exchange or MyLanguageExchange )

Each week (as the Spanish learner) I pick an article about a topic which interests me, such as animal testing or drug use in sports. My language exchange partner does the same in English.We then each write a short summary of the article we've read and give our own, personal opinions on the topic. We each publish these articles on Lingora https://www.elingora.com/- a 100% free online community where native Spanish and English speakers are dedicated to correcting each other's work.

Afterwards, we arrange to have a Skype session where my Spanish-speaking language exchange partner spends 30 minutes debating his/her chosen topic with me in English and I do the same with him/her in Spanish.

Using this method has really helped me improve both my writing and speaking skills. I now have plenty of free time to practice with more Spanish speakers. So if you're a Spanish native speaker and you want to improve your English (and you're willing to help me improve my Spanish in return) please let me know.

Edmund :-)

My Skype ID is: edmund.hutchings1
Last edited by ed101langs on Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Balltongue
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(n). Learning italian, japanese, french, german, brazilian portuguese, south korean, mandarin and cantonese.

Postby Balltongue » Mon May 07, 2018 5:09 pm

I think someone's getting a cut on ads..... LOL
1 x
Deleted account.

Return to “Study Groups”