Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Spoonary » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm

James29 wrote:Casa de Papel is great... especially if you want Spain Spanish. It is very well done and I like it even better than Ingobernable.

Yeah, I like the look of that one as well. I'll watch that when I've finished Ingobernable. For now though, I actually think it's a good idea for me to expand my repertoire, as it were, and listen to other varieties of Spanish.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Has anyone seen the movie "También la lluvia" (2010)? If you've seen it, did you like it?
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:27 pm

tiia wrote:Has anyone seen the movie "También la lluvia" (2010)? If you've seen it, did you like it?

I've watched it (it is on Netflix in the US) and found it quite good, both in terms of the topic and its production.
0 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:22 pm

I have been reading through the posts and as one of the "non-expert lurkers" which you seem to be asking to participate in your group, I have a question...

I am shortly going to embark on trying to watch a netflix series and wondered if anyone had any suggestions other than....
James29 wrote:Casa de Papel is great... especially if you want Spain Spanish. It is very well done and I like it even better than Ingobernable.

I managed to watch a couple of Sherlock Holmes episodes recently and generally speaking I followed the plot well enough and when I watched it back in English I hadn't missed anything really important but it's too long at 1.5 hours each episode and obviously quite complicated being a detective story.

I would prefer Spain Spanish and I am definitely non-expert level but I would like to give it a go, 30 minute episodes would be ideal.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.
0 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Bex wrote:I have been reading through the posts and as one of the "non-expert lurkers" which you seem to be asking to participate in your group, I have a question...

I am shortly going to embark on trying to watch a netflix series and wondered if anyone had any suggestions other than....

I managed to watch a couple of Sherlock Holmes episodes recently and generally speaking I followed the plot well enough and when I watched it back in English I hadn't missed anything really important but it's too long at 1.5 hours each episode and obviously quite complicated being a detective story.

I would prefer Spain Spanish and I am definitely non-expert level but I would like to give it a go, 30 minute episodes would be ideal.

An original Netflix series which has had a great success in Spain is Las chicas del cable. Each episode is about 50 minutes. It is set in Madrid in the 1920s and is the first Netflix series produced in Spain. Personally I must say it is not really "my cup of tea", but it is well done and worth checking out.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

klvik
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3149

Postby klvik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Bex wrote:I have been reading through the posts and as one of the "non-expert lurkers" which you seem to be asking to participate in your group, I have a question...

I've only watched the first episode of Casa de Papel so far and while I thought it was very good it might not be the easiest show to start with. I suggest that you take a look at the offerings at http://www.rtve.es/television/series-tve/, some programs are geo-restricted but others are not. The subtitles are very accurate (not perfect but very good) and in their a la carta viewer the dialog is displayed in a text box to the right of the video window, as well as in the subtitle. Los misterios de Laura (not geo-restricted), Olmos y Robles (geo-blocked in the US), and El ministerio del tiempo (coming to Netflix very soon) all use a slightly more theatrical style of speech that is much easier to follow than a show like Casa de Papel. Grand Hotel is also on Netflix if you are looking for a decent telenovela. Good luck! I hope that you find something that you enjoy watching.
4 x
January 5, 2020
2020 Output Challenge speaking: 66 / 3000

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

I think the best series for learning Spanish on Netflix is La Nina. It is Colombian so it is not in Spanish Spanish for you. But, it is long, has audio description and is a good show. I really think the audio description feature in Spanish is the most important thing for learners of Spanish watching shows. It easily doubles or triples the amount of Spanish you hear. Do a search in Netflix for audio description in Spanish and you'll see all they have available... but note they categorize Spain Spanish as a separate language so it won't come up unless you search for Spanish (Spain).

If you want to watch a series in Spain Spanish I'd have to concur with the other poster about Las Chicas del Cable. It is well produced, but I did not really like it. I'll probably still watch the second season. I've got Mar de Plastico in my list as the next Spain Spanish show I'll watch. Also available in Spain Spanish would be El Internado, Velvet, Hotel de los Secretos, Tiempo entre costuras and many others. All of them are probably pretty good.
4 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Here are some recommendations by online teacher
María Español

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvP_NikIBJc
SERIES para aprender ESPAÑOL
PELÍCULAS para aprender ESPAÑOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBB2rNnYDiM
5 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:48 am

All those recommendations should give me plenty to watch.

The audio discription James29 mentioned and the RTVE a la carta viewer klvik mentioned...thankyou, they both sound like they will be very useful.

I'll try watching the first episodes of a few series and see which ones I like.

Gracias a todos.
3 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Don Qvixote

Postby coldrainwater » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:53 am

For those of you who have read it or are interested in reading it, which edition of Don Quijote did you choose, how did you choose it, how did you like it, and what impact did it have on your language learning experience? I am certainly interested in hearing from some of you who chose to read it in its original version (I know you are out there!) and how you approached that task. I know there is at least one etymology dictionary available to make the original text more accessible. What I didn't realize initially is that there are a dizzying number of versions accessible for virtually all ages and reading abilities, earning it a unique spot in the language learning world.

Here is one scholarly link that may be of interest to some of you:
http://users.ipfw.edu/jehle/cervante/dqsb1.htm
4 x

Return to “Study Groups”