Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Spanish Group

Postby iguanamon » Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 pm

NoManches wrote:Here is the link for the e-book I bought. I typed in Pedro Páramo and downloaded the first one that said "Spanish edition"
I'm starting to think I bought the wrong version?! :oops:
Pedro Paramo (Spanish Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N03MN8C/re ... 7AbSWHGWR2 ...
I have no problem spending my hard earned money on books, and don't plan on going about it illegally. Not that anybody accused me of doing so,but I just want to clarify that. My reputation on the forum is at stake here :D

Your reputation is safe. I clicked on the link then I clicked on "Look inside" and it's Spanish. The problem with Amazon is across international domains where a book may be available in the US or overseas as an e-book in one and not in the other... and they don't allow e-books to be sold cross border. I hate the digital fence. It's so frustrating for language-learners.
3 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Fri May 04, 2018 10:41 pm

I had a bit of a look around, and I couldn't find the Spanish version ebook anywhere (that amazon.com one is not available in the UK). I have, however, switched my paperback order from amazon.es to bookdepository. It's now a bit cheaper and should be arriving a bit earlier I think.

Yesterday, I read through our discussions of El tiempo entre costuras and Como agua para chocolate. I forgot we did them all in Spanish! I think I am going to try to discuss our next book more in Spanish than English. What do you all think?
3 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat May 05, 2018 12:13 am

iguanamon wrote:
NoManches wrote:Here is the link for the e-book I bought. I typed in Pedro Páramo and downloaded the first one that said "Spanish edition"
I'm starting to think I bought the wrong version?! :oops:
Pedro Paramo (Spanish Edition) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N03MN8C/re ... 7AbSWHGWR2 ...
I have no problem spending my hard earned money on books, and don't plan on going about it illegally. Not that anybody accused me of doing so,but I just want to clarify that. My reputation on the forum is at stake here :D

Your reputation is safe. I clicked on the link then I clicked on "Look inside" and it's Spanish. The problem with Amazon is across international domains where a book may be available in the US or overseas as an e-book in one and not in the other... and they don't allow e-books to be sold cross border. I hate the digital fence. It's so frustrating for language-learners.

Indeed, to be precise, I believe the Amazon account that you order from should reside in the US (or another location that can also access the link NoManches provided). I am not aware of any rules or regulations stating that an Amazon account needs to belong solely to a particular individual. It may be a simple matter of selecting the right geographic settings on a given account either at sign-up or subsequently. No trickery or anything shady involved.

I too can wait and start the read-along when others are ready (and when everyone has the book). I started a different book and didn't look at quite how long it is, so may need to huff it a little bit and knock out some reading this weekend to get ready for Párarmo.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat May 05, 2018 4:57 am

It looks like NoManches book is no longer available. So I’ll be buying a physical copy along with a few other books. If you want to start without me, that’s fine. I’ll catch up. I’ll be away for a week and a half during the Gathering anyway, and I’m not planning on taking my “homework” with me, so I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to participate in the readalong anyway. I guess it depends how fast you read.

It would be great to discuss the book in Spanish. I need to be pushed to write more in Spanish.
3 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat May 05, 2018 11:35 am

Brun Ugle wrote:It looks like NoManches book is no longer available. So I’ll be buying a physical copy along with a few other books. If you want to start without me, that’s fine. I’ll catch up. I’ll be away for a week and a half during the Gathering anyway, and I’m not planning on taking my “homework” with me, so I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to participate in the readalong anyway. I guess it depends how fast you read.

It would be great to discuss the book in Spanish. I need to be pushed to write more in Spanish.

I clicked on the link I shared and it still works for me. The weird thing is that my Kindle Paperwhite won't let me open the book (it gives me an error message). I was able to download and open it on my phone using the Kindle app.

When I did open it, it was only about 100 pages long. I'm having some doubts about this version. I might have to buy the paperback just in case.
1 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat May 05, 2018 11:50 am

NoManches wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:It looks like NoManches book is no longer available. So I’ll be buying a physical copy along with a few other books. If you want to start without me, that’s fine. I’ll catch up. I’ll be away for a week and a half during the Gathering anyway, and I’m not planning on taking my “homework” with me, so I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to participate in the readalong anyway. I guess it depends how fast you read.

I clicked on the link I shared and it still works for me. The weird thing is that my Kindle Paperwhite won't let me open the book (it gives me an error message). I was able to download and open it on my phone using the Kindle app.

When I did open it, it was only about 100 pages long. I'm having some doubts about this version. I might have to buy the paperback just in case.

Hmmm. When I click your link, it says it isn’t currently available for purchase. And when I click on “look inside” it shows me the Indonesian edition, even though the link you posted is for the Spanish edition. :? Maybe Amazon has gone a little batty.
0 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 pm

I just bought a paperback copy through amazon.ca for 11 canadian dollars. So whether or not we choose it for our next read along, I´ll definitely be reading it!
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sat May 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Brilliant! Again, I'm pleased to see that so many people are going to be taking part. Let's just hope this enthusiasm lasts. :P

Now, when shall we start? My copy should be here by the end of next week, so I think Saturday 12th would be a good start date to set for me. That said, I don't want everyone to have to wait around for little old me :oops:
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Spoonary wrote:Brilliant! Again, I'm pleased to see that so many people are going to be taking part. Let's just hope this enthusiasm lasts. :P

Now, when shall we start? My copy should be here by the end of next week, so I think Saturday 12th would be a good start date to set for me. That said, I don't want everyone to have to wait around for little old me :oops:

Mine is supposed to come between the 14th and the 22nd, but I’m fine with everyone starting before me. I’ll also be leaving for Bratislava the 28th, so I don’t know how actively I’ll be able to participate, but I will definitely read the book. Eventually.
1 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Sat May 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Stelle wrote:I just bought a paperback copy through amazon.ca for 11 canadian dollars. So whether or not we choose it for our next read along, I´ll definitely be reading it!

Would you mind telling me which copy you got? I am finding it very hard to find a paperback copy and I am not sure that the Kindle version I got is a good version. The Kindle version I bought is only 120 Pages which seems very short
0 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Return to “Study Groups”