Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 am

DaveBee wrote:Bouncing around YouTube for different versions of my New Favourite Song, I came across a version prepared for spanish language learners: Me gustas tú (edited for Spanish Class)

They edited out the line "me gusta marijuana." :lol: I guess they didn't want their students getting any ideas.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
DaveBee wrote:Bouncing around YouTube for different versions of my New Favourite Song, I came across a version prepared for spanish language learners: Me gustas tú (edited for Spanish Class)

They edited out the line "me gusta marijuana." :lol: I guess they didn't want their students getting any ideas.

And that's actually a line most people are likely to understand without any Spanish knowledge :-D
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:43 pm

If you would like to test your understanding of natural Peninsular Spanish, I highly recommend Paquita Salas on Netflix. It's a 5 part comedy which reminded me of The Office. Pretty fun! :)
5 x

klvik
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (Intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3149

Postby klvik » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:54 pm

I stumbled across this site a few days ago and would recommend it to anyone looking for a way to incorporate intensive study of native material. They provide short articles and videos annotated with some explanations of grammar and word usage.

https://www.espanolavanzado.com/
6 x
January 5, 2020
2020 Output Challenge speaking: 66 / 3000

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:22 am

klvik wrote:I stumbled across this site a few days ago and would recommend it to anyone looking for a way to incorporate intensive study of native material. They provide short articles and videos annotated with some explanations of grammar and word usage.

https://www.espanolavanzado.com/

That is super useful for me at the moment, thanks klvik
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:26 am

A little over a year ago, I started this group as an answer to the "TAC- Total Annihilation Challenge" which was neither "total, nor annihilation, nor a challenge". My (and others') complaints at the time had to do with the hypocrisy of the situation, whereby there would be great excitement in December (choosing a cool team name, members joining) followed by activity in the threads diminishing to nothing by February. Now, almost every major language, even some small languages (Haitian Creole Group, anyone? :) ) has a study group, all with similar low amounts of activity.

I thought, following on the heels of the much more successful French Study Group would at least get us a similar amount of activity. I was wrong. They have beat us by a significant amount of posts. That's a shame. We have a lot of members here who are learning Spanish and a lot who speak Spanish as a second language who can help them. We can also discuss anything about the language here in English, and even Spanish if you provide at least a synopsis. Perhaps the lack of activity can be explained by the same reasons TAC was a failure- limited amount of time to devote to posting and diminishing interest in learning over time. Perhaps it is inevitable that almost any group activity on a forum dedicated to such a highly individual pursuit as language-learning, is by its very nature, doomed. I don't know. Prove me wrong!

There are a lot of good tips, advice and media recommendations that get buried in people's logs. If you don't follow their log, you miss it. So, if you have something to share about Spanish that you think may help others, please share it here too. If you want to talk about any aspect of the Spanish language or Hispanophone cultures, you are welcome here at any level. If you are learning the language and want to get connected with others here on the forum who are learning and have learned Spanish, take advantage of the opportunity! ¡Muy Feliz Año Nuevo, mi gente! ¡Pa' adelante en 2018!
5 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:30 am

I appreciate the group being here, even if I haven't participated much lately. The demands on my time the last four months or so have meant that I've used a fair amount of Spanish, especially conversationally, but haven't really been pursuing a lot of intentional learning. A couple months ago I got where I wasn't watching anything either, and dropped most of my podcasts - so aside from my very recent foray into classics of hispanophone literature and my continued use of the FSI drills to shorten my "warm-up" period (still working, still not "learning"), I haven't had much to share.
1 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 am

I'm at such a basic level and the resources for Spanish are so rich for beginners that I don't have much of a need to ask here that often, especially for questions which many Spanish language experts may have seen over and over.

Some of my questions are general about language learning.

I do find useful info in the posts but generally through search. There are probably many beginners (some without accounts YET) who get useful info. The more successful they are, the more information they find useful, the more they are likely to join.
4 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Yeah I often look over at the French group and wish our Spanish group was a bit more active, not that I have any ideas for conversation topics or anything. :| Hopefully the whole new year, new me thing will bring people like me back to the language-learning fold for a few months at least :)
1 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Spoonary wrote:Yeah I often look over at the French group and wish our Spanish group was a bit more active, not that I have any ideas for conversation topics or anything. :| Hopefully the whole new year, new me thing will bring people like me back to the language-learning fold for a few months at least :)

Me too to all of this. I'm trying to get back to Spanish and this forum, at this cliche time of year for rededicating myself to things.

For me, getting back to Spanish means, partly, getting back to regularly reading a Spanish book and watching a Spanish TV show. I had gotten a bit into La Ciudad de Las Bestias during 2017, but I restarted from the beginning post-Christmas and that's going to be the book I'm reading. I've watched 8 episodes of Ingobernable, which means I have 7 more to watch, and that will be the TV show I watch. I liked what little I read of La Ciudad de Las Bestias but I didn't get very far. Ingobernable started off very exciting. It started to get into some conspiracy stuff, so I hope I remember enough of the plot when I start watching again.

Has anyone read La Ciudad de Las Bestias or watched Ingobernable and had strong feelings about either? Also, anyone know of recaps or summaries of Ingobernable so I can remind myself of what happened?
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”