Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Spanish Group

Postby neofight78 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am

Just dropping in to say I've started learning Spanish from 1st Jan 2021! I'm an English native speaker, and the first foreign language I learned was Russian. If you are interested to follow my journey into Spanish you can follow my log starting here: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ea#p180453
5 x

M-Biggles
Languages: English, Yiddish (N); Spanish, Classical Hebrew (Begin)

Postby M-Biggles » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:40 pm

I started studying Spanish! Still building my study habit but always improving. Enjoying the language so far! Hopefully I'll get far with it in 2021!
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 pm

iguanamon wrote:There's a new App available that helps learners use Radio Ambulante to learn Spanish. I saw this thread on twitter today from Daniel Alarcón of Radio Ambulante. I can't include the videos but you can click on the link and see and hear it all.
Daniel Alarcón wrote:Several years ago, when we started doing audience surveys at @radioambulante, we discovered something interesting: 20% of our listeners were using our stories to learn Spanish. So we started asking ourselves what we could do to better serve them.
It's an important question. For more than a year we’ve been working on @Lupa_app, (http://lupa.app) an app that transforms the rigorous journalism of @radioambulante into a fun and efficient method of learning Spanish. Let me show you some of its features.
You can switch seamlessly between the Spanish transcript and the English translation as needed.
With @Lupa_App, you're encouraged to use your ear to do the heavy lifting -- as it should be! -- but you can always turn on extra help when you need it.
And @LupaApp helps you keep track of new vocabulary you've learned, and learn colloquial phrases as they're used in different contexts -- so you're learning Spanish as it's really spoken!
We're so excited about this app for a lot of reasons, but mainly because it will give people who aren't yet fluent a chance to hear the amazing journalism we do. To hear Spanish that's real, with innovative tools that transform great stories into effective language lessons.

Looks like an easy and convenient way to use a great podcast to help Spanish learners incorporate native material in their learning on a tablet or phone.

Es exactamente lo que estaba buscando, although Lupa does cost money (as of today, 2-10-2021, $12/mo billed monthly or $99/12 one-time non-recurring purchase, and there are student discounts*), which you pay via credit card.

* Your status as a student will be verified via your verified student email. Not a student, so I can't tell you how that works.

I searched this site for further mention of Lupa, but found none. The app works a lot like Lyricstraining, if you are familiar with that tool. If not, the Lupa site offers a free trial with two podcasts that you can download and familiarize yourself with.
Before you shell out your cash, probably you should check out the kind of stories Radio Ambulante's podcasts offer, which you can do for free. There are lots of stories, lots of voices. See above in iguanamon's post for links to Lupa and to Radio Ambulante.
Just now I ordered a year's worth of access, so we'll see what happens. Apps like this for other languages would be spiffy! 8-)
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

Return to “Study Groups”