Spanish Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Spanish Group

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:39 pm

Balltongue wrote:We can ignore the gender of the victim regardless the pronoun.

Le mataste. (You.)
Le maté. (Me.)
Le mató. (He or she.)
Él le mató. Ella le mató.

While I love majority of the overview, thanks for it, the RAE says that we cannot ignore the gender of the victim, of the complement direct.

http://www.rae.es/consultas/uso-de-los- ... smo-loismo
[Dada la gran extensión en el uso de los hablantes cultos de ciertas zonas de España de la forma le cuando el referente es un hombre, se admite, únicamente para el masculino singular, el uso de le en función de complemento directo de persona: ¿Has visto a Jorge? Sí, le vi ayer en el parque].
3 x

Andy E
Yellow Belt
Languages: *
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8001

Postby Andy E » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Cavesa wrote:While I love majority of the overview, thanks for it, the RAE says that we cannot ignore the gender of the victim, of the complement direct.

http://www.rae.es/consultas/uso-de-los- ... smo-loismo
[Dada la gran extensión en el uso de los hablantes cultos de ciertas zonas de España de la forma le cuando el referente es un hombre, se admite, únicamente para el masculino singular, el uso de le en función de complemento directo de persona: ¿Has visto a Jorge? Sí, le vi ayer en el parque].

Indeed... to quote directly from La nueva grámatica de la lengua española:

16.5.1c El leísmo de persona femenino (tipo B) está mucho menos extendido, carece de prestigio y se considera incorrecto. Era hasta hace poco relativamente frecuente en el norte de España, y aparece también de manera ocasional en los textos de escritores vascos:

Mi madre iba, pero iba a hurtadillas, sin decírmelo, y se ponía detrás de la columna, donde yo no le viera (Unamuno, Tula).
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi, guys

Can anybody give me tips on how to make the most out of an online Language Exchange ?

Edit: I found this article - https://itsnachotime.com/spanish-language-exchange/. If anybody had the same doubts or questions.
Last edited by Jaleel10 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 am

Hi, guys.

Can anybody tell me the difference between estaba + gerundio and estuve + gerundio. If you can, could you please provide me with some examples ?
0 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 am

Estaba leyendo = I was reading (I may still be or not. It's a description of something I was doing when something happened ie. background information).

Qué demonios, estaba leyendo eso.
What the hell, I was reading that.

Estaba leyendo su periódico, como siempre.
He was reading his newspaper, as always.

Estuve leyendo = I was reading (I'm not now).

Ayer estuve leyendo en Internet acerca de tu unidad aérea.
I was reading about your airforce unit on the internet yesterday

Martin, estuve leyendo tu película.
Martin, I've been reading your movie.

I have found this book very useful in understanding the past tenses:
https://www.amazon.com/Perfecting-Past- ... ref=plSrch

And also Reverso Context:
http://context.reverso.net/translation/ ... ba+leyendo

Sorry if it's wrong, I am only just getting my head around this myself :)
7 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks, and I own that book myself lol. Have yet to open it. Thanks for the response, Bex. Appreciate it.
2 x

Balltongue
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(n). Learning italian, japanese, french, german, brazilian portuguese, south korean, mandarin and cantonese.

Postby Balltongue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 pm

When you're telling a story you go like this: "well, so yeah, so I was there, I was like looking for something to eat, ended up finding this new ribs joint, whatever. I was with Nigel so he was keen on try those ribs, of course."

I was, I was, I was.

No voy a traducirlo, pero te lo cuento con muchos "yo estaba" de igual forma. Más o menos así: "Yo estaba aquí, y luego estaba allá, pero mis amigos estaban allá disfrutando, y yo estaba aquí buscando qué comer. Encontré qué comer y de repente llega ella. Yo estaba disfrutando mis costillas feliz y ella llega con su drama. Ella estaba súper dramática como siempre."

Estaba, estaba, estaba.

Now... a simple question is tottaly different.
"Yo John, what have you been looking into recently other than glory holes?"

And he goes like "I've been reading your book, don't you worry about that mate. It's hard for me you know because I've been also reading that other book you gave last year."

I've been. I've been.

Si tu jefe quiere que en casa leas unos manuales te preguntará: ¿has estado leyendo los manuales?

Y tú dices: "Estuve leyendo los manuales los días de semana solamente. He estado ocupado con un nuevo techo que le hago a mi grill del patio. Además pudiera leer más pero mis fines con mis hijos son sagrados. Estuve también evaluando los balances de otro departamento."

Estuve, estuve, he estado.

So there you go:
Stories: "Estaba."
Simple question: "Estuve."
3 x
Deleted account.

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:09 am

Os doy las gracias. De verdad os lo agradezco.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 am

Hey, guys.

The group's vagabundo here begging for help again :lol:

So I have been watching a crap ton of native material lately. There is a construction (maybe 3) that I often hear but I don't understand it that well. I mean I can deduce it's context but I would like to know how and when to use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPbF5KDzUg

It is just a 1 minute clip, don't worry. Warning: contains palabrotas :!:

The first one (18th sec) : Yo por ahí no paso (It probably means - I am not having it!)
The 2nd one (32nd sec): Es que...
The third (34th sec): ..si que no...

What do those constructions mean in that context ?

A little background on the video. Auron (the dude in the video) is prank-calling a person. The person had complaints about a restaurant's food and Auron is calling as the chef to try and remedy the situation.
0 x

Balltongue
White Belt
Languages: Spanish(n). Learning italian, japanese, french, german, brazilian portuguese, south korean, mandarin and cantonese.

Postby Balltongue » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 am

Alrighties. For me... to be a native speaker of spanish and don't grasp anything on a random video is just..... depressing. I had to google "gambas." We call those "camarones" in latinoamerica. Whatever but let's go on.

"Por ahí no paso." First time in my life I hear that from anyone. I'm 37. So yeah you're totally right, must be a "I'm not f_ having it."

The 32th second thing: "Es que por ahí no paso." You're a waiter and let's suposse I say to you I'm not having the shrimps on the grill, then you ask why and I say because this or that, that would be like this.

一 ¿Desea camarones a la parrilla?
一 No, al ajillo, por favor.
一 ¿Por qué no a la parrilla?
Es que no me gusta la parrilla.

That is the proper way to use "es que." The literal translation is "it's that..." but in that context is more like a "because." However though you may use it just to be annoying and totally anticipating someone asking why right back.

一 ¿Desea camarones a la parrilla?
一 No... es que no me gusta nada a la parrilla, disculpa.

Kids do that a lot.

一 Dúchate.
一 Es que tengo frio, mamá.
一 No me importa, dúchate.
一 Noooo, es que no estoy sucio.
一 Dúchate ya.
一 Mamá, es que todavia no es hora de dormir.

And so on... ("Ducharse" is getting a shower by the way.) That can go forever till the mom gets in hand one flip flop to hit the f_ kid with it, and then stops saying "es que... es que." My mom use to say like:

¡Es que nada!
*trows the flip flop / olympic performance*

The 34th second thing: "Yo sé que no pasa." That means "I know." Basicly there's no need to repeat it because I know. "I get what you're saying" kinda.
5 x
Deleted account.

Return to “Study Groups”