Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
aravinda
Orange Belt
Languages: Sinhala (native), English (proficient?)
French (reading - intermediate?)
Studying: English & German
Studied/Dabbled in: Latin, Pāli, Sanskrit, Tamil, Ancient Greek, Italian, Hindi, Russian, Spanish (beginner-advanced beginner)

Re: Team Middle East

Postby aravinda » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Thanks for this link aravinda, it looks promising indeed. I took the liberty quote your comments below containing the link and paste it all here into the Team Middle East thread:

aravinda wrote:I am not learning Arabic but just thought this would be useful to some members:
From MSA to CA: A Beginner’s Guide for Transitioning into Colloquial Arabic
Thanks for that, PM. I should have posted it here. :oops:
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am

Hi peoples,

I've been just tidying up some audio files and loading them on my eye on me phone, sorry, iphone for a rainy day, and I discovered that my audio files downloaded from The Yojik Website here: DLI Saudi-Arabic Headstart course are missing the first 5 audio tracks (I downloaded them both in mp3 and flac formats). Neither audio versions contain the first 5 tracks. The course is designed as such, that the audio is an absolute must- it's not a writing course, it's all about the dialect, which is not written as MSA is. Would anyone have any hints where I might be able to find the missing audio tracks?

Kind regards,
PM

PS - (A bit of cross advertising here) I've started a new challenge - The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge, in which I've signed up for Arabic (as well as French and Dutch). The challenge is 30 minutes minimum/day of study in your chosen language(s) for the whole year. Feel free to join me (if you don't, watch me become the Arabic Kung-Fu Master after only 2.5 minutes of study - i'll be writing all the advice here soon... ummm... I think... i'll just shut up now... :geek:
2 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:13 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi peoples,

I've been just tidying up some audio files and loading them on my eye on me phone, sorry, iphone for a rainy day, and I discovered that my audio files downloaded from The Yojik Website here: DLI Saudi-Arabic Headstart course are missing the first 5 audio tracks (I downloaded them both in mp3 and flac formats). Neither audio versions contain the first 5 tracks. The course is designed as such, that the audio is an absolute must- it's not a writing course, it's all about the dialect, which is not written as MSA is. Would anyone have any hints where I might be able to find the missing audio tracks?

If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.
1 x
How yes no.

cjareck
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

For the needs of DLI MSA Sound and Script, I asked on Hi Native. I received all the recordings, but unfortunately, I didn't ask about MSA, so I received a bunch of dialects with the different pronunciation that I expected. But you may ask there with additional information that you are interested only in Saudi dialect. Perhaps it will solve your problem.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 31 / 40

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 9 / 140

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi peoples,

If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.

That is an awesome offer NIKOLIĆ! Thank you!

If you're happy to do so, I'm not going to say no. Perhaps you could offer them to The Yojik Website as well?

cjareck wrote:For the needs of DLI MSA Sound and Script, I asked on Hi Native. I received all the recordings, but unfortunately, I didn't ask about MSA, so I received a bunch of dialects with the different pronunciation that I expected. But you may ask there with additional information that you are interested only in Saudi dialect. Perhaps it will solve your problem.

Thanks cjareck! Also a very helpful idea :)
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Do any of you know where to download (not streaming) anime with Arabic subtitles? Usually I go to www.add-anime.net, but after some months not visiting it (due to freelance jobs, eye surgery, and mountain climbings), it seems that the site already went down. Do you guys know some similar sites where I can directly download them instead of streaming?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 992 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 1809 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1003 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 1794 / 9000

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), Alpha Centaurian (C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:15 am

Six Arabic Learning Tools (Language Lab Log)

(That "Six Tools" post was something I usually couldn't find enough time to write. So "please" "don't expect me to be able to do something similar all the time". But it still was possible in that particular case, because of the reason mentioned at another person's log [direct link]).
0 x

Thomas Friedrich
White Belt
Languages: German (native), English, Japanese, Esperanto, French, Mandarin, Latin

Postby Thomas Friedrich » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi,
a couple of weeks ago, I began to study Persian as part of my new study routine. Just as with most of the languages I've studied in the past, the main interest was first created by movies. I've been a longtime fan of Abbas Kiarostami. Recenty I discovered Asghar Farhadi who's easily joined the rank of my favourite contemporary movie directors.

As a result I've put Persian on my study list and am sowly working through the Pimsleur audio series and John Mace's "Teach Yourself Persian".

I'm not sure how serious I will study Persian, but if I enjoy it and have the time to do so, I'd probably follow-up with the Persian Assimil course once I finish the Pimsleur lessons.
0 x

Hashimi
Orange Belt

Postby Hashimi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:04 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:Do any of you know where to download (not streaming) anime with Arabic subtitles? Usually I go to http://www.add-anime.net, but after some months not visiting it (due to freelance jobs, eye surgery, and mountain climbings), it seems that the site already went down. Do you guys know some similar sites where I can directly download them instead of streaming?

Youtube is full of Arabic-subtitled anime like this:

https://youtu.be/6gtPPuoB3_4?t=232
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 am

In case you missed it, Netflix released a series of stand-up comedy sets called Comedians of the world. One of the "seasons" is Middle East and features four comedians: Ibraheem Alkhairallah (Saudi), Rawsan Hallak (Jordanian), Adi Khalefa (Palestinian), Moayad Alnefaie (Saudi). It's rare to find Arabic stand-up comics with subs, so this is a welcome addition. Sadly, there no Persian or Hebrew speaking comics in the line-up. Hopefully, Netflix will keep adding!

I couldn't find any excerpts on youtube, but here's a feature created to advertise for the show in which Rawsan Hallak responds to prompts about various first times:

In my search for a sample youtube clip, I came across this modern-day 1001 Nights/Scheherazade produced for Ramadan, in which Scheherazade introduces different Netflix shows:

I'd love it if they also added Arabic dubs for all of these shows (rather than just the children's programs).
3 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

>>>>>Join the Forum's Book Club reading Metro 2033 this February!<<<<<

Return to “Study Groups”