Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Team Middle East

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am

Someone has started an Arabic Group thread.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =26&t=9187

I can merge the posts into this thread if you believe the resources listed are ligit. Someone let me know and I'll tidy it up. Oh and you might need to title edited to show the languages since Team Middle East doesn't directly convey the languages involved. Let me know if you'd like that edited too.
2 x
: 4 / 100 100 Italian paperbacks:
: 161 / 75000 Output Challenge 2019 (普通话写作):

Lollygagging Podcast available on iTunes

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=784

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:57 am

Please merge. I tried to post earlier but having issues with the forum still
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 am

jacquemarie wrote:!مرحبا

مرحبا يا جاك
and welcome PM!

So many posts since I was last here! It's great! A couple resources I saw brought up:

1) TalkinArabic. This is currently a great resource for people learning Levantine and Egyptian dialects. For these dialects, they've created a lot of interesting and helpful content. For the other dialects, not so much (or at least not yet). PM, as you were asking about the Saudi resources, they do seem to be limited -- as you already noticed -- to word lists. They may also include example sentences (they usually did for the Moroccan ones). Your money would probably be better spent on a tutor.
2) Assimil. The modern one's audio is bad. So, so bad. The slow over-pronounced speaking in a joke between my partner and myself. I know that other Assimil courses have a common complaint of being too slow, but this is even slower than that. As it was my first resource in Arabic, I often find myself defaulting to an imitation of the Assimil speaker when reading something new in MSA out loud. It's hilarious (to my partner and to me), but not ideal.
(3) Not mentioned (except by me well in the past ha ha), but there is a great Arabic learning magazine for Francophones called Al Moukhtarat produced by the Institut du Monde Arabe. PM, I know you've got a great deal of affection for Bien Dire. Al Moukhtarat is much in the same style. Perhaps when you've got a good foundation, this resource will be of interest to you.
5 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

>>>>>Join the Forum's Book Club reading Metro 2033 this February!<<<<<

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:18 am

Maiwenn wrote:
jacquemarie wrote:!مرحبا

مرحبا يا جاك
and welcome PM!

So many posts since I was last here! It's great! A couple resources I saw brought up:

1) TalkinArabic. This is currently a great resource for people learning Levantine and Egyptian dialects. For these dialects, they've created a lot of interesting and helpful content. For the other dialects, not so much (or at least not yet). PM, as you were asking about the Saudi resources, they do seem to be limited -- as you already noticed -- to word lists. They may also include example sentences (they usually did for the Moroccan ones). Your money would probably be better spent on a tutor.
2) Assimil. The modern one's audio is bad. So, so bad. The slow over-pronounced speaking in a joke between my partner and myself. I know that other Assimil courses have a common complaint of being too slow, but this is even slower than that. As it was my first resource in Arabic, I often find myself defaulting to an imitation of the Assimil speaker when reading something new in MSA out loud. It's hilarious (to my partner and to me), but not ideal.
(3) Not mentioned (except by me well in the past ha ha), but there is a great Arabic learning magazine for Francophones called Al Moukhtarat produced by the Institut du Monde Arabe. PM, I know you've got a great deal of affection for Bien Dire. Al Moukhtarat is much in the same style. Perhaps when you've got a good foundation, this resource will be of interest to you.

Thank you for the welcome :)
Very informative post. Thank you Maiwenn for the info. Okay, for now, for me, given interest in Saudi dialects, it seems that Talk in Arabic isn't worthwhile. Assimil does not sound great by yet another person. That's a shame... still, I have much to keep me busy with Manuel d'arabe (en ligne). The Al Moukhtarat magazine certainly looks interesting! I'll keep it in mind for sure! Thank you :)
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Edit: no bueno
Last edited by NIKOLIĆ on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
How yes no.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm

NIKOLIĆ wrote:

The above items look like they could be in breach of copyright. If they are please remove them immediately. Publicly posting anything that breaches copyright, links to pirated information etc etc puts us administrators at risk of legal problems. Don't do it!
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Bluepaint wrote:The above items look like they could be in breach of copyright. If they are please remove them immediately. Publicly posting anything that breaches copyright, links to pirated information etc etc puts us administrators at risk of legal problems. Don't do it!

Yikes! Didn't know I couldn't talk about it either. You might want to edit your post too.
1 x
How yes no.

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am

Yesterday I discovered that the Institut du Monde Arabe has developed an Arabic certification exam. They had their first pilot tests this summer and will be organizing new sessions starting May 2019. The exam is called the CIMA (Certificat international de maîtrise en arabe). At sign up you select the cima 1 (testing for A1, A2, B1) or the cima 2 (testing for B2, C1, C2). It tests Modern Standard Arabic.

The exams consist of:
* listening (30-35 minutes, multiple choice)
* reading (45 minutes, multiple choice)
* writing (1 hour, production of 4 texts between 30 and 100 words)
* speaking (10 minutes, on 4 different subjects chosen by the examiner)

Depending on pricing and schedule, I may sign up for the cima 1 with the goal of a B1 (طبعا). ;) If this happens, I will of course tell you all about it.
More information (all in French):
https://www.imarabe.org/fr/activites/cours-arabe/cima
https://www.imarabe.org/fr/blog/2018/08 ... bonne-voie
6 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

>>>>>Join the Forum's Book Club reading Metro 2033 this February!<<<<<

ancient forest
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Classical and Standard Arabic (advanced), Levantine Arabic (low-intermediate)

Postby ancient forest » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Maiwenn wrote:Yesterday I discovered that the Institut du Monde Arabe has developed an Arabic certification exam.

There is also a proficiency exam for Arabic and many other languages at https://www.profluentplus.com/ that is according to ACTFL levels.
3 x
Arabic
: 6 / 50 Speaking Arabic: A Course in Conversational Eastern Arabic

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks for this link aravinda, it looks promising indeed. I took the liberty quote your comments below containing the link and paste it all here into the Team Middle East thread:

aravinda wrote:I am not learning Arabic but just thought this would be useful to some members:
From MSA to CA: A Beginner’s Guide for Transitioning into Colloquial Arabic
2 x

Return to “Study Groups”