Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Team Middle East

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello everyone!

This is the place for those studying Arabic (MSA or colloquial), Modern or Classical Hebrew or Farsi, Please consider joining! There will be baklawa or Kunefe I promise!

Members:

Lady Grey: Syrian Colloquial and MSA
Nikolić: MSA and Levantine Arabic
Saim: Modern Hebrew and Levantine Arabic
Geoffw: Hebrew
Zenmonkey: Hebrew
Ogrim: MSA
Systematiker: Hebrew
Zireael: MSA

List of (Free) Sources

Arabic

FSI-Modern Written Arabic
FSI-Levantine Arabic
FSI-Saudi Arabic (Hijazi accent)

The Mezzofanti Guild
The Arabic Student
Learn Arabic with Maha
Egyptian Arabic Dialect Course http://egyptianarabiccourse.blogspot.nl ... ction.html
Persian

Here are two sites for Farsi grammar:
http://www.persiandee.com/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3NZ4hswXRO

And here are some sites for dialogues and monologues:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PersianPod101/playlists
http://www.persianlanguageonline.com/learn/
http://french.irib.ir/programmes/art-et ... sans-peine
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTYq1a ... 4FrgYYZ4Hg
Last edited by LadyGrey1986 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:28 am, edited 11 times in total.
6 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:17 pm

mar7aba!

I'm learning MSA and the Levantine dialect.

What are we supposed to write here? :D
0 x
How yes no.

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 pm

Marha7a Nicolic. Basically, the purpose of team Middle East is to create a sense of community among learners of the region's languages.
This is shamelessy copy-and pasted from emk. I am thinking of doing something similar for Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi.

you're thinking about something like "Team Beginner French", and if you don't plan for it to be part of TAC, I'd personally suggest the following. This is partly based on my experiences with Team Egyptian, and partly on watching TAC over the years, and partly on observing what sorts of forum things die off and what sorts thrive. This is just my personal opinion, not any sort of "official" advice! :-)

"The team should probably have at least two "leaders" who are regularly active on the forum, and who are unlikely to give up on French in the immediate future. Otherwise, there's a danger that the team will disappear very quickly.
You're welcome to ask for native speakers (or advanced students) who'd be willing to act as "godparents" and answer questions. (When FSI puts together teams of teachers, they often use several natives and one very advanced non-native, to help with stuff that natives might take for granted.)
There should be a team thread under "Language Challenges & Teams", with a list of members, a list of godparents (etc.), and a list of useful resources the team has found. It should also explain who can join the team and how (if the size isn't capped).
It would be good to plan some kind of fun monthly activities in a team thread.
Everybody who is in the team should subscribe to the other team members' (French) logs.
As for size, I don't really have a good feeling about how that would work with non-TAC teams. It's probably best to cap it at fewer than 10 active members, but I suppose you could move people to "inactive" status and add new active members as time goes on.

What do people think? Would this be a reasonable checklist for people doing non-TAC teams? Could we improve it?"
Last edited by LadyGrey1986 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, etc.
Main focus: German, Urdu

Postby Saim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:18 am

Hey, I'm studying Modern Hebrew and Levantine Arabic. For Hebrew I'm already at B2 (I've been studying it for three or so years, including classes at uni) and am just expanding my vocabulary by reading ynet, whereas I'm a beginner in Levantine Arabic and am using Syrian Colloquial Arabic: A Functional Course and Teach Yourself Levantine Arabic. Here's a memrise deck I'm making based on the vocabulary in the former book.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:35 am

In to follow, studying Hebrew with Assimil, Hebrewpodcasts101 and duolingo... MSA is on hold for the moment.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

Well I'm always either studying Hebrew or telling myself I need to get back to studying Hebrew. At the moment I'm at least nominally working on it. I'd also like to see how other people are approaching Arabic--it's on my to-do list. (It will be a fine day whenever Glossika Hebrew and Glossika [spoken] Arabic are finished!)

This is not a promise to start writing a log again, btw...
1 x

Zireael
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: Polish
C2: English
B2: Spanish
Somewhere I don't know: German
Beginner: Arabic, Polish Sign Language
Wanderlusting: Japanese, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=815

Postby Zireael » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:40 am

Can I sign up? I'm learning MSA, currently roughly at A2 level.

Be warned that my log updates are very spaced apart, traineeship is eating my time...
0 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:43 am

Here's another free Arabic source I found:

https://www.madinaharabic.com/start_learning.html

The end goal of the site seems to be to help people learn to read so they can study the Qur'an. What I thought was really great about the site is that every word is hyperlinked to a sound file.

And don't forget the DLI Arabic courses! There's a TON of material there, too. FSI has a Hebrew course, also. You can do Hebrew for free at Duolingo, but for the moment Arabic only has the reverse tree from English (or a couple other languages). (There's also a Duolingo/ChineseSkill knockoff app for learning Arabic, but it looks like they only finished writing half of the lessons, tops, so far.)
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Great initiative Lady Grey, شكرا.

Here I was on the brink of giving up my Arabic studies yet again, but seing a Middle East Team being formed I take it as a sign to pursue and stay the course إن شاء الله, so count me in.

Edit:
geoffw wrote:Here's another free Arabic source I found:

https://www.madinaharabic.com/start_learning.html

The end goal of the site seems to be to help people learn to read so they can study the Qur'an. What I thought was really great about the site is that every word is hyperlinked to a sound file.

The Arabic courses of Madinah Arabic also exist as an app at least available for iPhone and iPad (don't know if there is an Android version). It is very useful for revising stuff when you are travelling for example.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:17 pm

Great to see all the enthousiasm! You make my day. Learning Arabic is defintely a marathon and not a sprint, and it is easy to lose motivation. I am very curious about everyone's motivation to learn Arabic ;)
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”