Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Bluepaint wrote:The above items look like they could be in breach of copyright. If they are please remove them immediately. Publicly posting anything that breaches copyright, links to pirated information etc etc puts us administrators at risk of legal problems. Don't do it!

Yikes! Didn't know I couldn't talk about it either. You might want to edit your post too.
1 x
How yes no.

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 am

Yesterday I discovered that the Institut du Monde Arabe has developed an Arabic certification exam. They had their first pilot tests this summer and will be organizing new sessions starting May 2019. The exam is called the CIMA (Certificat international de maîtrise en arabe). At sign up you select the cima 1 (testing for A1, A2, B1) or the cima 2 (testing for B2, C1, C2). It tests Modern Standard Arabic.

The exams consist of:
* listening (30-35 minutes, multiple choice)
* reading (45 minutes, multiple choice)
* writing (1 hour, production of 4 texts between 30 and 100 words)
* speaking (10 minutes, on 4 different subjects chosen by the examiner)

Depending on pricing and schedule, I may sign up for the cima 1 with the goal of a B1 (طبعا). ;) If this happens, I will of course tell you all about it.
More information (all in French):
https://www.imarabe.org/fr/activites/cours-arabe/cima
https://www.imarabe.org/fr/blog/2018/08 ... bonne-voie
6 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

ancient forest
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Classical and Standard Arabic (advanced), Levantine Arabic (low-intermediate)

Postby ancient forest » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Maiwenn wrote:Yesterday I discovered that the Institut du Monde Arabe has developed an Arabic certification exam.

There is also a proficiency exam for Arabic and many other languages at https://www.profluentplus.com/ that is according to ACTFL levels.
3 x
Arabic
: 6 / 50 Speaking Arabic: A Course in Conversational Eastern Arabic

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:48 am

Thanks for this link aravinda, it looks promising indeed. I took the liberty quote your comments below containing the link and paste it all here into the Team Middle East thread:

aravinda wrote:I am not learning Arabic but just thought this would be useful to some members:
From MSA to CA: A Beginner’s Guide for Transitioning into Colloquial Arabic
2 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Thanks for this link aravinda, it looks promising indeed. I took the liberty quote your comments below containing the link and paste it all here into the Team Middle East thread:

aravinda wrote:I am not learning Arabic but just thought this would be useful to some members:
From MSA to CA: A Beginner’s Guide for Transitioning into Colloquial Arabic
Thanks for that, PM. I should have posted it here. :oops:
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:52 am

Hi peoples,

I've been just tidying up some audio files and loading them on my eye on me phone, sorry, iphone for a rainy day, and I discovered that my audio files downloaded from The Yojik Website here: DLI Saudi-Arabic Headstart course are missing the first 5 audio tracks (I downloaded them both in mp3 and flac formats). Neither audio versions contain the first 5 tracks. The course is designed as such, that the audio is an absolute must- it's not a writing course, it's all about the dialect, which is not written as MSA is. Would anyone have any hints where I might be able to find the missing audio tracks?

Kind regards,
PM

PS - (A bit of cross advertising here) I've started a new challenge - The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge, in which I've signed up for Arabic (as well as French and Dutch). The challenge is 30 minutes minimum/day of study in your chosen language(s) for the whole year. Feel free to join me (if you don't, watch me become the Arabic Kung-Fu Master after only 2.5 minutes of study - i'll be writing all the advice here soon... ummm... I think... i'll just shut up now... :geek:
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:13 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi peoples,

I've been just tidying up some audio files and loading them on my eye on me phone, sorry, iphone for a rainy day, and I discovered that my audio files downloaded from The Yojik Website here: DLI Saudi-Arabic Headstart course are missing the first 5 audio tracks (I downloaded them both in mp3 and flac formats). Neither audio versions contain the first 5 tracks. The course is designed as such, that the audio is an absolute must- it's not a writing course, it's all about the dialect, which is not written as MSA is. Would anyone have any hints where I might be able to find the missing audio tracks?

If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.
1 x
How yes no.

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:17 pm

For the needs of DLI MSA Sound and Script, I asked on Hi Native. I received all the recordings, but unfortunately, I didn't ask about MSA, so I received a bunch of dialects with the different pronunciation that I expected. But you may ask there with additional information that you are interested only in Saudi dialect. Perhaps it will solve your problem.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:51 am

NIKOLIĆ wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi peoples,

If you don't manage to find the missing audio files I'd be willing to make a recording of the dialogues and courtesy expressions and then have it checked by a native speaker.

That is an awesome offer NIKOLIĆ! Thank you!

If you're happy to do so, I'm not going to say no. Perhaps you could offer them to The Yojik Website as well?

cjareck wrote:For the needs of DLI MSA Sound and Script, I asked on Hi Native. I received all the recordings, but unfortunately, I didn't ask about MSA, so I received a bunch of dialects with the different pronunciation that I expected. But you may ask there with additional information that you are interested only in Saudi dialect. Perhaps it will solve your problem.

Thanks cjareck! Also a very helpful idea :)
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Do any of you know where to download (not streaming) anime with Arabic subtitles? Usually I go to www.add-anime.net, but after some months not visiting it (due to freelance jobs, eye surgery, and mountain climbings), it seems that the site already went down. Do you guys know some similar sites where I can directly download them instead of streaming?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Return to “Study Groups”