Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Re: Team Middle East

Postby MattNeilsen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 am

geoffw wrote:Well I'm always either studying Hebrew or telling myself I need to get back to studying Hebrew. At the moment I'm at least nominally working on it. I'd also like to see how other people are approaching Arabic--it's on my to-do list. (It will be a fine day whenever Glossika Hebrew and Glossika [spoken] Arabic are finished!)

This is not a promise to start writing a log again, btw...

Hey geoffw - I was looking up something related and came across the Glossika Hebrew course. Have you tried it? I'm not sure when it was released, and there are very little in the way of reviews online. I think I'm gonna try the free trial just to see what it's like...
0 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 am

Well, maybe I was wrong. I was a little, and perhaps for good reason, pessimistic about several members of Team Arabic using the same content. However....

ancient forest wrote:Maybe working on the same material would help us to have writing practice with each other since we would have a common background to work with.

Ogrim wrote:Today Amazon delivered my copy of the first volume of Manuel d'arabe by Ghalib Al-Hakkak.

PeterMollenburg wrote:I’ll be joining you soon, as my copy is en route.

Arnaud wrote:Found in the forum, a temporary link given by the author (to discover the method, for personal use only) :
Arabic made easy with effort 1. (seven "weeks")
The corresponding audio is here (volume 1)

Ghalib Al-Hakkak wrote:I am the author of "Manuel d'arabe en ligne". I would like to mention here the link to the English version for the first seven chapters: https://www.al-hakkak.fr/PDF/Arabic-Mad ... Effort.pdf

It is available on Amazon with two volumes:
Volume 1: https://www.amazon.com/Arabic-Made-Easy ... 651&sr=1-6
Volume 2: https://www.amazon.com/Arabic-Made-Easy ... 50&sr=1-12

Till now I worked on the translation of 14 chapters with Alexander Sethi. I still hope to have some feedback about these first volumes.
Thank you

G H

Ghalib Al-Hakkak wrote:Another book I hope will interest you:

http://www.al-hakkak.fr/PDF/Arabic-conjugation.pdf

iguanamon wrote:Arabic
I've been following Team Middle East and find myself being drawn towards Arabic.

It seems, while Ogrim and myself have/ will have soon the French version of the above course, the English version of the first seven chapters has been provided for free by the author in the hope of that some feedback be given. I’ll suggest it, but it may not go beyond Ogrim and myself using the course, still, I suggest if anyone else out there is tempted (iguanamon ;) and others!), here it is free of charge (PDF, plus audio available for free too)... JOIN US!!! :twisted: And who cares if we’re all learning at different paces. Don’t pressure yourself, if you are miles behind (could end up being me), it might be good to bounce off others who are ahead of you and can provide some assistance or insights with difficulties.
2 x

Ghalib Al-Hakkak

Re: arabic group

Postby Ghalib Al-Hakkak » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:27 am

0 x

Ghalib Al-Hakkak

Re: arabic group

Postby Ghalib Al-Hakkak » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am

0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am

Someone has started an Arabic Group thread.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =26&t=9187

I can merge the posts into this thread if you believe the resources listed are ligit. Someone let me know and I'll tidy it up. Oh and you might need to title edited to show the languages since Team Middle East doesn't directly convey the languages involved. Let me know if you'd like that edited too.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:57 am

Please merge. I tried to post earlier but having issues with the forum still
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:31 am

jacquemarie wrote:!مرحبا

مرحبا يا جاك
and welcome PM!

So many posts since I was last here! It's great! A couple resources I saw brought up:

1) TalkinArabic. This is currently a great resource for people learning Levantine and Egyptian dialects. For these dialects, they've created a lot of interesting and helpful content. For the other dialects, not so much (or at least not yet). PM, as you were asking about the Saudi resources, they do seem to be limited -- as you already noticed -- to word lists. They may also include example sentences (they usually did for the Moroccan ones). Your money would probably be better spent on a tutor.
2) Assimil. The modern one's audio is bad. So, so bad. The slow over-pronounced speaking in a joke between my partner and myself. I know that other Assimil courses have a common complaint of being too slow, but this is even slower than that. As it was my first resource in Arabic, I often find myself defaulting to an imitation of the Assimil speaker when reading something new in MSA out loud. It's hilarious (to my partner and to me), but not ideal.
(3) Not mentioned (except by me well in the past ha ha), but there is a great Arabic learning magazine for Francophones called Al Moukhtarat produced by the Institut du Monde Arabe. PM, I know you've got a great deal of affection for Bien Dire. Al Moukhtarat is much in the same style. Perhaps when you've got a good foundation, this resource will be of interest to you.
5 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:18 am

Maiwenn wrote:
jacquemarie wrote:!مرحبا

مرحبا يا جاك
and welcome PM!

So many posts since I was last here! It's great! A couple resources I saw brought up:

1) TalkinArabic. This is currently a great resource for people learning Levantine and Egyptian dialects. For these dialects, they've created a lot of interesting and helpful content. For the other dialects, not so much (or at least not yet). PM, as you were asking about the Saudi resources, they do seem to be limited -- as you already noticed -- to word lists. They may also include example sentences (they usually did for the Moroccan ones). Your money would probably be better spent on a tutor.
2) Assimil. The modern one's audio is bad. So, so bad. The slow over-pronounced speaking in a joke between my partner and myself. I know that other Assimil courses have a common complaint of being too slow, but this is even slower than that. As it was my first resource in Arabic, I often find myself defaulting to an imitation of the Assimil speaker when reading something new in MSA out loud. It's hilarious (to my partner and to me), but not ideal.
(3) Not mentioned (except by me well in the past ha ha), but there is a great Arabic learning magazine for Francophones called Al Moukhtarat produced by the Institut du Monde Arabe. PM, I know you've got a great deal of affection for Bien Dire. Al Moukhtarat is much in the same style. Perhaps when you've got a good foundation, this resource will be of interest to you.

Thank you for the welcome :)
Very informative post. Thank you Maiwenn for the info. Okay, for now, for me, given interest in Saudi dialects, it seems that Talk in Arabic isn't worthwhile. Assimil does not sound great by yet another person. That's a shame... still, I have much to keep me busy with Manuel d'arabe (en ligne). The Al Moukhtarat magazine certainly looks interesting! I'll keep it in mind for sure! Thank you :)
1 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:14 pm

Edit: no bueno
Last edited by NIKOLIĆ on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
How yes no.

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:51 pm

NIKOLIĆ wrote:

The above items look like they could be in breach of copyright. If they are please remove them immediately. Publicly posting anything that breaches copyright, links to pirated information etc etc puts us administrators at risk of legal problems. Don't do it!
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”