Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
S7R wrote:Hi guys
and Almadinah arabic website
https://www.madinaharabic.com/
I hope you find it useful, and I am pleased to offer any help with Arabic language. :)
Good luck everyone.

Back then I visited that site quite often, but now its forum is on maintenance.
By the way, I am surprised that my name isn't in the member list yet. Please count me in.

The member list is in LadyGrey’s post, and she hasn’t been around for a while, unfortunately. So we can’t edit that member list, but glad you’re here nonetheless!
0 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:39 pm

So, does this mean that there's no challenge from this team until she shows up?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:34 pm

I don’t think we’ve ever had regular “challenges” (and I’m too lazy to go reread the whole thread), but I bet if someone wanted to organize one, some people might participate - it would just have to be something that various levels and languages could do
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:12 pm

I checked and there don't seem to have ever been any challenges in this team, which is understandable.

~~

I just came across the movie "The Wedding Plan" which seems like it would be a fun resource for our Modern Hebrew learners. :) It's currently in some French cinemas and perhaps elsewhere in Europe? Sadly, it looks like it came out in May in the US so probably isn't showing there anymore.

0 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm

By the way, do you guys have any suggestion to some good Arabic songs?
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:13 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:By the way, do you guys have any suggestion to some good Arabic songs?

I've been exploring Arabic music for a few months now, and there is a lot of interesting stuff out there. I've already posted some videos in my log if you care to flick through that.

There is a lot of diversity in Arabic music, ranging from more traditional folk music via religious song to Western influenced pop. Here are just a few suggestions:

Amr Diab is one of the most popular artists in the Arab world and is considered the creator of "Mediterranean Music", a blend of traditional Arabic and Western rhythms. He sings in Egyptian Arabic if I am not mistaken.

Humood is a young Qatari who has had an enormous success with the song "Kun anta" (Be yourself). The videoclip has had over 78 million views on Youtube.

Faia Younan is a young Syrian lady who grew up in Sweden.

Yacoub Shaheen is Palestinian and the winner of Arab Idol 2017.

It is also worth checking out this youtube channel, which includes a lot of videos with the lyrics in Arabic and English translations. It is also indicated whether they sing in dialect or MSA.
3 x
Ich grolle nicht

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Syukron katsiiron, ya akhii... Looking forward to listen to them once I get better internet connection.
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:56 pm

A few additional music recommendations: :)

Mashrou' Leila (مشروع ليلى), a Lebanese alternative rock band (though their most recent album is a bit more pop-y).
Link to Mashrou' Leila's youtube

Bab El West, a Moroccan-Breton folk-y group whose lyrics are all in Moroccan Arabic.
Link to Bab El West's youtube

N3rdistan, headed by a Moroccan singer, the group is described as "un son à la frontière entre musique électronique, rap et poésie arabe." (a sound at the border between electronic music, rap, and Arabic poetry)
N3rdistan's website, includes free download of their 4-song EP

Lastly, I've mentioned this soundtrack in the group before, but I really like the music from the Tunisian movie "As I Open My Eyes" (على حلّة عيني)
Link to a playlist with many of the songs (Joujma - 'Ala Hallet 'Aini)
4 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Maiwenn wrote:A few additional music recommendations: :)

Mashrou' Leila (مشروع ليلى), a Lebanese alternative rock band (though their most recent album is a bit more pop-y).
Link to Mashrou' Leila's youtube

Bab El West, a Moroccan-Breton folk-y group whose lyrics are all in Moroccan Arabic.
Link to Bab El West's youtube

N3rdistan, headed by a Moroccan singer, the group is described as "un son à la frontière entre musique électronique, rap et poésie arabe." (a sound at the border between electronic music, rap, and Arabic poetry)
N3rdistan's website, includes free download of their 4-song EP

Lastly, I've mentioned this soundtrack in the group before, but I really like the music from the Tunisian movie "As I Open My Eyes" (على حلّة عيني)
Link to a playlist with many of the songs (Joujma - 'Ala Hallet 'Aini)

Syukron katsiiron for you, too. Gonna check them later.
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm

Mar7aba everyone!

I found two great resources for Arabic dialects (in particular Egyptian and Levantine):

Team Maha
Just going to quote them directly:
The goal of #TeamMaha is to make the process of learning and speaking Arabic a bit less maddening for you all, whether that be through offering language study advice, detailed vocabulary and grammar notes, or a bit of much-needed comic relief. We focus mainly on Egyptian Arabic (Team Maha) and Syrian Arabic (Team Nisreen), but you’ll also find posts on Modern Standard Arabic, Moroccan Arabic, Iraqi Arabic and other dialects.

Caitlyn (Team Maha) is an Arabic-English translator based in Cairo, Egypt.

Chris (Team Nisreen) is an Arabic-English translator based in London, UK.

In particular, their Fusha to Shaami guide is a fantastic aide for those learning a Levantine dialect who already have a base in Fusha. It is exactly what I had been hoping to find to help me transition to speaking in Levantine dialect.

The Arabic Student
No longer updated, this site was run by an Arabic Teacher and includes fantastic explanations and materials for Arabic-language students.
Just check out this post which breaks down small clips from a Syrian tv show with so many details.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”