Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Re: Team Middle East

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:This is very impressive and such a kind gesture, NIKOLIĆ. I sincerely thank you for taking the time to get this done and have someone check it over as well.

In answer to your question, I’d certainly prefer that it was more of a public offering, so I’ll decline the PM and ask that you post it in this thread, that is what I’d prefer out of the two options.

However I’d like to suggest as others have, that the recordings be also offered to the The Yojik Website. Of course this is your personal work and were you to decline, for whatever reason, although I might deem that as unfortunate, I’d respect your decision.

Another thing you may like to consider, is that if you post the recordings here, that your recordings are likely to end up in the hands of many and perhaps it might be best to provide them to The Yojik Website before someone else does. Still, this is personal work, so if on second thought you’d rather keep this out of the public sphere, well who am I to judge?

I thank you again, NIKOLIĆ, for taking the time and effort to help out with the missing audio.

Kind regards,
PM

You are most welcome.

Honestly, it took me like 10 minutes to record it, but the problem was, I totally forgot about it and when I finally did record it, my Saudi friend was very busy with school and work so it took him a couple of days till he could get around to checking them for me.

As far as offering them to the "The Yojik Website" goes, feel free to forward the recordings. The only problem is, I couldn't record the "pimsleur-like" script/drills whose recordings are provided in all the other lessons, because obviously, they're not written in the book.

DLI Saudi Recordings
4 x
How yes no.

Ghalib Al-Hakkak

Postby Ghalib Al-Hakkak » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Hello. This may be useful to somebody here. Any remark is welcome.
阿拉伯语零基础教程
五十章节
http://www.al-hakkak.fr/PDF/arabe-en-50 ... hinois.pdf

Ghalib Al-Hakkak
1 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:33 am

Is there anything I can watch in Hebrew that will entertain me, but doesn’t require too much comprehension to enjoy? Like a lot of gesturing, context and funny voices. Like right now I’m watching this Kaveret skit. I can’t find any of their other skits on YouTube. Maybe I’ll have to make due with just listening to them.
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:30 am

You may find this interesting - there are three seasons of it. I enjoyed it a lot, and I plan to watch it again soon - this time with more comprehension ;)
- this is also very interesting, but you should have some knowledge of Judaism and Jewish history to understand the gags there. There are also three seasons.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:41 pm

!שלום

I'm going to be studying Hebrew for a while. I also want to learn Arabic and Babylonian one day, but unfortunately there are a lot of languages ahead of them on my language queue.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

alfarisi2
Languages: My native is Indonesian. I also speak and write in English. Now I want to study Arabic especially on reading

Postby alfarisi2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi, I am looking for Arabic to Arabic dictionary that has derivative forms on each item of the words. For example, the word root فعل has derivative forms like يفعل, فغلا, فاعل, مفعول, افعل, لا تفعل . Please help me..
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

alfarisi2 wrote:Hi, I am looking for Arabic to Arabic dictionary that has derivative forms on each item of the words. For example, the word root فعل has derivative forms like يفعل, فغلا, فاعل, مفعول, افعل, لا تفعل . Please help me..
Check out ElixirFM Lookup Online
2 x

half entity
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2), Farsi (B1-B2), Portuguese (B1), Italian (B1), Russian (A2), Arabic (A1)

Postby half entity » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:14 am

I've started reading Persian newspaper articles. In Spanish or French this was "easy" - I learned the media vocabulary through reading. In Persian this is obviously not as easy because of the script. I need a long time to read one article. I don't have a problem with that but I'm wondering if there might be some possibilities to speed up that process a little. For example by studying some media vocabulary lists.
2 x

Lycopersicon
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English, Persian, Italian, Latin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16534

Postby Lycopersicon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:52 pm

If anyone is still unsure on how to proceed from an advanced beginner level in Persian, especially regarding vocabulary acquisition, I recommend to have a look at the series of books that was published by the Dehkhoda Institute.

The title of the books is Learning Persian Vocabulary / واژه‌آموزی زبان فارسی and the author is Mahnaz Asgari / مهناز عسگری . There are three volumes in total, one each for the elementary, intermediate and advanced levels. These do not specifically teach the language of the media, but they will definitely help with acquiring a rich and varied vocabulary. The only drawback is that they might be hard to find.

Otherwise, you can also check out a manual that was recently published by Routledge: What the Persian media says. It is not geared towards self-learners but it does include a dictionary that comprises almost half of the book. It is not worth the price in my opinion though, unless one has the possibility of going through it with a tutor.

Michael Hillman also authored a Persian Newspaper Reader which is probably brilliant but is - alas - nearly impossible to get hold of since Dunwoody Press has gone out of business.

None of these were available to me when I was learning Persian so I had to do it the hard way by reading articles and memorizing all the new words I would come across.

Sadly, I'm afraid there are still not that many useful ressources out there.

I would also advise practicing reading actual Iranian (or Afghan) content because foreign-based news sources such as the BBC tend to use a simpler version of the language that is unidiomatic.

Learning arabic grammar will also prove incredibly beneficial. Actually, any detailed Persian grammar book is going to have a large section on Arabic morphology (have a look at Ann Lambton's grammar for instance). Let's not forget that Persian virtually possesses the whole Arabic lexicon!
4 x

Haskol
Languages: English (N), Hebrew (N), MSA (C2), Palestinian Colloquial Arabic (C1), Yiddish (B2), Persian (B2), German (A2), Turkish (A2)

Postby Haskol » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 am

Hello Everybody,
I'm a native Hebrew speaker from Jerusalem. I have very high-level knowledge of Arabic (both MSA and Palestinian Colloquial Arabic - I work as an Arabic-Hebrew translator and transcriber and previously worked as an interpreter as well), I studied Persian for 3 years in college and am currently studying Turkish. I also have some knowledge of less popular Middle Eastern languages, especially Aramaic, which I've studied for many years, can read several classical dialects fairly well and even understand some Neo-Aramaic. I also hope to learn Kurdish sometime in the future.

Anyways, this thread seems kind of dead, but I figured I'd introduce myself and if it comes back to life I'd be happy to take part in it.

Good luck to all the learners here!
10 x

Return to “Study Groups”