Team Middle East

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: Team Middle East

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm

Maiwenn wrote:In case you missed it, Netflix released a series of stand-up comedy sets called Comedians of the world. One of the "seasons" is Middle East and features four comedians: Ibraheem Alkhairallah (Saudi), Rawsan Hallak (Jordanian), Adi Khalefa (Palestinian), Moayad Alnefaie (Saudi). It's rare to find Arabic stand-up comics with subs, so this is a welcome addition. Sadly, there no Persian or Hebrew speaking comics in the line-up. Hopefully, Netflix will keep adding!

Sadly, too, I can not afford Netflix.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 984 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 1809 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1002 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 1770 / 9000

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), EN-AFR/EN-CAR (B2 / C2), Alpha Centaurian (C2), AR (C2), ES (B2), FR (B1 / B2), NL (A1 / B2), AF (pre-A1 / B2), SWA (A2 / B1), SV/DA/NO (pre-A1 / B2), PT (pre-A1 / B2), IT (pre-A1 / B2), RO (pre-A1 / B2), LAT (pre-A1 / B2), EO (pre-A1 / B2), JP (A1), toki pona (A1), micro-learning several others.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:
Maiwenn wrote:In case you missed it, Netflix released a series of stand-up comedy sets called Comedians of the world. One of the "seasons" is Middle East and features four comedians: Ibraheem Alkhairallah (Saudi), Rawsan Hallak (Jordanian), Adi Khalefa (Palestinian), Moayad Alnefaie (Saudi). It's rare to find Arabic stand-up comics with subs, so this is a welcome addition. Sadly, there no Persian or Hebrew speaking comics in the line-up. Hopefully, Netflix will keep adding!

Sadly, too, I can not afford Netflix.

Not a Netflix user myself either. However, there is something that should be mentioned in this context. Netflix doesn't offer the same programs in every country. Tried to watch some Spanish movies or series, but هَيْهَات. At least the free trial period didn't expire yet when I found out that they simply aren't available in my country.
1 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
beginner+: German, Moroccan Arabic
beginner-: MSA
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:46 am

For a long time, I thought there weren't audiobooks in Arabic, but... shocker... there are! كتاب صوتي is audiobook in Arabic.

One producer (https://kitabsawti.com) offers a free 14-day trial. They even have popular titles like the Hunger Games trilogy and The Da Vinci Code. (Note: when you create an account it starts the free 14-day trial immediately... I wish I had known this to time things accordingly.) It is a subscription-based app and there's no option to buy individual titles. Within the app, you can select the playback speed (.75x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 1.75x, 2x). The titles I've sampled so far have had engaging, professional narrators.

I'll be testing it out the next 14 days, so let me know if you have any questions!
3 x
Corrections are always welcome. :)

SC Arabic movies: 2504 / 9000
SC Arabic books: 511 / 5000

Return to “Study Groups”