“Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby tiia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:Haha, I am guessing that was definitely during Juhannus >_<

Actually not. It's says boozemly in the title, that's crawling in a park and drinking during the Assembly.
But I've been singing the song on some student's parties. You can find it in several student song books.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Re: “Finnisch mit extra Mühe” -- a group learning project (because Finnish wasn't hard enough before)

Postby cathrynm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I'm just excited that I was able to understand that sentence except for the last word, but you'd given us that one.

This is pretty typical for the site. Known words, and then one weird word that you don't know. With Finnish, this feels close to my sweet spot for something that's not too hard, not too difficult. Even with the words I do know, I'm often suprised at what case is being used. Due to the algorithm they used, often the problem itself is trivial, but there are enough non-easy ones to keep it interesting.
1 x

zebracoupe
White Belt
Languages: Japanese (C1), German (B1), Russian (just beginning)

Postby zebracoupe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Krapula - presumably related to the English word "crapulous" (i.e. from a common source)??
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:39 am

I've never heard 'crapulous' in the USA, maybe it's a UK thing? Dictionary does know it, good a theory as any.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:01 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNz3aQuLYtM

Daily dose of Finnish random.

0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Guys! Guys! Guess who opened and read something in Assimil Finnisch today!! It was me! ME!

So, this probably means that I'm really and truly back on the pain train.
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:59 am

Hey, I'm going to be one of the cool kids now - I've been provided with a copy of Le Finnois avec peine, so I'm getting on board. :D
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:23 am

Yay! We've snared another one! I knew all those tennis balls I'd tossed around would do the trick.

Congrats, Elenia. I find Assimil to be more painful than advertised, but as I near the end of the passive wave, I find something is slowly starting to click into place at last. I had the same experience using Assimil for German. It didn't make much sense until the end.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Systematiker wrote:Hey, I'm going to be one of the cool kids now - I've been provided with a copy of Le Finnois avec peine, so I'm getting on board. :D

Tervetuloa! Is this your first Finno-Ugric language?
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Brun Ugle wrote: find Assimil to be more painful than advertised, but as I near the end of the passive wave, I find something is slowly starting to click into place at last. I had the same experience using Assimil for German. It didn't make much sense until the end.

When I reached lesson 100, I left Assimil, and thus never did the active wave for the remaining ~50 lessons. I can recommend the Kuulostaa Hyvältää course for some everyday Finnish. At this (still very basic) level, I'd say that the lessons are packed with grammar points (e.g. in the lesson where they're in the grocery store, there are many examples of partitive). The lessons are ~3 minutes long.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Study Groups”