Italian study group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Italian study group

Postby Chung » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 am

Similar to my post about videos with proper subtitles in German, here's a list of links to videos with proper subtitles in Italian. You may already know about some of these but again for convenience here's a bunch in one post. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find Italian counterparts of the learner-friendly "Jojo sucht das Glück", "Heute Show" or "logo! Kindernachrichten" of German. Geoblocking is generally more prominent on Italian TV streams than what I've found with German, Finnish or Hungarian streams, unfortunately.

Just to make it clear, videos mentioned below that have switchable subtitles are from YouTube and controlled with the "CC" button at the bottom of the video window.

Italian educational videos

- Easy Italian
- Progetto Italiano Junior 1 (A1), Progetto Italiano Junior 2 (A2), and Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1) (Complementary videos for a series of textbooks for teenagers learning Italian as a foreign language, most of which have proper Italian subtitles which you can turn on as desired. They're useful even without the books when you just want to test your comprehension abilities)
- Arrivederci! 1 (A1) and Arrivederci! 2 (A2) (Complementary videos for a series of textbooks for adults learning Italian as a foreign language, most of which have proper Italian subtitles which you can turn on as desired. They're useful even without the books when you just want to test your comprehension abilities)
- Italy Made Easy (Tons of videos on Italian and Italy by an Italian living in Australia complete with subtitles in Italian and a few other languages)
- One World Italiano (Video lessons/lectures on grammar organized by level from A1 to B1)
- ItalianPod 101 (Video lessons/lectures/exercises organized by theme or level of difficulty)
- Lernamo (Video lessons/lectures organized by theme or level of difficulty)
- Your Italian Teacher (Video lessons/lectures for false beginners or those at low intermediate level)
- Learn Italian with Lucrezia (Video lessons/lectures as well as vlogs shot all over Italy which are a bit like the interviews in “Easy Italian” so that you get exposure to some colloquial Italian).
- Italiano Automatico: #LearnItalianShow - Season 1 (Playlist of 236 short videos on various topics with Alberto and his grandmother. It's meant for learners who're no longer raw beginners)
- Podcast Italiano (Podcast with a YouTube channel containing vlogs, videos explaining various points of colloquial Italian, and even a couple of interviews with Vladimír Škultéty and Luca Lampariello)

Italian shows that aren't educational videos

- The Jackal (Channel of an alternative comedy show. Some videos have subtitles in Italian such as these under "Uploads")
- Casa Surace (A comedy channel by southern Italians poking fun at the differences between southerners and northerners (particuarly in this playlist). Many of the videos are quite funny and have Italian subtitles which is a boon for learners as the actors sometimes speak in dialect or just very quickly)
- Passaparola (Interviews conducted by Beppe Grillo, a comedian and actor who's probably better known nowadays as one of the founders of the anti-establishment Five Star Movement. Grillo's ideology and the political controversy aside, you can turn on proper Italian subtitles for the interviews so that they can be useful for learners wishing to sharpen their comprehension abilities).

Shows/channels in other languages

- Kurzgesagt - in a Nutshell (The English version of the original Dinge erklärt - Kurzgesagt. Most of the videos have Italian subtitles, in addition to those of other languages)
- Extra History (Watch whichever episode/playlist catches your interest. Some of the videos have Italian subtitles from fans, in addition to those of other languages)
- Maangchi (This is a popular channel for Korean cuisine. Many of the recipe-videos (especially those that are older than a couple of years) have Italian subtitles from fans, in addition to those of other languages.)
- Cultura Italia-Russia (Channel with assorted Russian videos (including some animated shorts) with Russian and Italian subtitles)

In general, look up videos with "sottotitoli italiani", "sottotitolato", "Italian subtitles" or even "sub ITA" and you should get some hits.

You can also turn on Italian subtitles for many shows/movies on DVDs or Netflix.
13 x

Haiku D'etat
White Belt
Languages: British English (N); Italian (B1)

Postby Haiku D'etat » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:10 pm

Can any native (or high level) Italian speakers identify the regional accent in this audio clip?

(at 00:34 seconds, and again at 00:47s)

https://tinyurl.com/rthy2zx

Well, I think she's mimicking a regional accent (I think I've heard it before), but she could just be caricaturing that person's way of speaking.

Any help would be appreciated!
0 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 am

Haiku D'etat wrote:Can any native (or high level) Italian speakers identify the regional accent in this audio clip?

Sorry - I'm useless at identifying accents (well, maybe if she were speaking Piacentino I might notice ...).

She puts on an accent when she's quoting something the father used to say. Ginzburg's father was from Trieste ... the narrator was born in Udine (according to wikipedia.it), which is not a million miles away. So maybe she was in fact putting on the appropriate accent.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 am

Podcase Italiano

Interesting and high quality content.

3 x

Haiku D'etat
White Belt
Languages: British English (N); Italian (B1)

Postby Haiku D'etat » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Does anyone have any advanced Italian word lists? My level has reached a plateau at B2, and I need another push to blitz through word lists on Anki like the good old days when I was a beginner. I've tried adding new words individually, one at a time as I encounter them, but it's rather tedious when I want to be learning 30 a day.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:54 pm

I downloaded an entire Italian Corpus a year or two ago. (Open Sourced).

I converted it into an SQLite3 database.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12aeamB ... p=drivesdk
I'll leave the link for awhile, but I'm getting low on space so get it while it's hot!

EDIT:
Some sample SQL to use on the DB as a starter.

Code: Select all

SELECT wrd.frequenza, wrd.lemma , grm.cgvalue FROM lemmi_inverso AS wrd
INNER JOIN
      categoria_grammaticale AS grm ON wrd.categoria_grammaticale = grm.cgkey
WHERE frequenza > 2000
ORDER BY
frequenza desc;

SELECT lemma  FROM lemmi_inverso AS wrd
INNER JOIN
WHERE
frequenza > 500
AND
grm.cgkey NOT LIKE 'K%' OR 'NU%' OR 'Z%' OR '%@%'
GROUP BY frequenza;

select sum(wrd.forma) , grm.cgvalue FROM lemmi_rango AS wrd
INNER JOIN
WHERE
grm.cgkey NOT LIKE 'NU'
GROUP BY
grm.cgvalue;

SELECT lemma  FROM lemmi_inverso AS wrd
INNER JOIN
WHERE
frequenza < 500
AND
grm.cgkey NOT LIKE 'K%' OR 'NU%' OR 'Z%' OR '%@%'
GROUP BY frequenza;

select sum(wrd.forma) , grm.cgvalue FROM lemmi_rango AS wrd
INNER JOIN
WHERE
grm.cgkey NOT LIKE 'NU'
GROUP BY
grm.cgvalue
;

SELECT wrd.lemma, wrd.frequenza, grm.cgvalue FROM lemmi_inverso
AS wrd
INNER JOIN
WHERE
      wrd.categoria_grammaticale like 'E' or 'N'
  ORDER BY frequenza DESC
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DarlaJo
Languages: Italian (about A1)
ASL (B2)

Postby DarlaJo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Caio a tutti!

I have been learning Italian on my own since February. I am missing the speaking component. I have tried all those language exchange but they always turn out to be people looking for dates. I'm looking for people who want to improve and retain the language.

Thanks everyone! Hope you have a great day!
a presto! :D
0 x
a presto!
Darla

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:45 pm

I have looked on Conversation Exchange it seems to be good. You can also pay for a tutor on iTalki, since they aren't looking for a date, they're looking for cash. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:30 am

wao... Now I discovered this study group... Any dubbed serial with many seasons that anyone can recommend?
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm

lusan wrote:wao... Now I discovered this study group... Any dubbed serial with many seasons that anyone can recommend?

Is 7 seasons enough? I loved the Mentalist in Italian.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”