Italian study group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: Italian study group

Postby lusan » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:38 am

Cavesa wrote:
lusan wrote:Any opinions about HP in italian. I already read all HP books in French and several vols in Polish. I wonder if knowing the story would be unbearable. Are they a good transitions to native reading material or should I skip them and jump in with my two feet into Dante's Universe?

If you are looking for some not too hard original books, that could replace the HP as an intermediate step, I'd recommend Licia Troisi. Fantasy for older kids, not extremely original, but still fun, well written, fulfilled the role for me.

But if you're very familiar with Dante and not afraid of a challenge, jump away, and report back, please. I haven't dared to face him yet, so I'm curious.

Dante was a joke! No interest to go so far back into the future... I mean back into the past... :lol:
I laugh everytime I read people at intermediate Spanish wanting to jump into Garcia Marquez or Cervantes.
I will look into Licia Troisi. She has many fantasy books!
Thanks.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:58 pm

Ciao a tutti! Sto cercando podcast interessanti da ascoltare, avete raccomandazioni? I miei criteri sono:

- Monolingue (niente inglese)
- Trattando di soggetti atemporali come la cultura, la storia, la letteratura (niente notizie, non voglio ascoltare niente sul covid o la crisi o qualsiasi cosa del genere. neanche grammatica)
- Il o la speaker parla con una voce chiara e relativamente facile da seguire ma non si deve essere troppo artificiale, preferisco che sia troppo rapido piuttosto che sembri parlare a un bambino
- Formato esclusivamente audio, niente video, perché vorrei scaricare i file sul smartphone e ascoltarli anche quando non c'è internet o quando faccio un'altra attività e non posso guardare uno schermo per qualsiasi ragione
- Idealmente ci sarà una trascrizione ma non fa niente se non c'è

Grazie lingua, radio 24 è ottima.
Last edited by mokibao on Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:31 pm

Radio 24 has a number of podcasts in different subjects that you can check out. I also like Il posto delle parole. The host interviews authors. No transcripts though.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:31 pm

I just began reading "Storie per ridere" A2-B1. It is really a lot of fun. It makes reading a pleasurable experience.

I would like to read some more Italian's book of jokes and humor. Of course, I could find, I guess, humor books translate to Italian. However, are there any Italian native humor books. It would be great to learn some jokes while learning a language!

Any suggestions?
0 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:49 am

This will be a weird question for all of you, but here goes.

There's a video series for German called Deutsch Extr@. It's fun and cute; it starts out easy and gradually advances.

I wonder, do any of you know if there is an Italian video which is similar?

(I'm also going to ask this in the German group.)
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:09 pm

IronMike wrote:This will be a weird question for all of you, but here goes.

There's a video series for German called Deutsch Extr@. It's fun and cute; it starts out easy and gradually advances.

I wonder, do any of you know if there is an Italian video which is similar?

(I'm also going to ask this in the German group.)

I posted a bunch of links to Italian videos here

The nearest thing in Italian that I've ever seen which is reminiscent of Extr@ videos is Edilingua's series Progetto Italiano Junior for teenaged beginners and Arrivederci! for adult beginners. They're not quite like Extr@ which is like a sitcom geared for learners, but their difficulty is progressive and they vaguely follow a storyline. The accompanying textbooks offer complementary exercises to the content but any learner wanting some easy videos to follow should like them. It also helps that each video is short and usually comes with proper Italian subtitles (i.e. not YouTube's auto-generated crap) that you can toggle on and off as needed.

- Progetto Italiano Junior 1 (A1), Progetto Italiano Junior 2 (A2), and Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1)
- Arrivederci! 1 (A1) and Arrivederci! 2 (A2)

There's also the series from the BBC's old course Italianissimo! The first 10 episodes are for the first volume, and the next 10 are for the second volume. These are actually supplementary videos that liven up the textbook, and are part travel show about Italy, part language-tutorial with dialogues from the textbook acted out on screen with repetition of key phrases and exchanges from the videos. The videos sometimes include Italian subtitles, especially in more complicated exchanges or interviews.
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:21 pm

Chung wrote:
I posted a bunch of links to Italian videos here

The nearest thing in Italian that I've ever seen which is reminiscent of Extr@ videos is Edilingua's series Progetto Italiano Junior for teenaged beginners and Arrivederci! for adult beginners. They're not quite like Extr@ which is like a sitcom geared for learners, but their difficulty is progressive and they vaguely follow a storyline. The accompanying textbooks offer complementary exercises to the content but any learner wanting some easy videos to follow should like them. It also helps that each video is short and usually comes with proper Italian subtitles (i.e. not YouTube's auto-generated crap) that you can toggle on and off as needed.

There's also the series from the BBC's old course Italianissimo! The first 10 episodes are for the first volume, and the next 10 are for the second volume. These are actually supplementary videos that liven up the textbook, and are part travel show about Italy, part language-tutorial with dialogues from the textbook acted out on screen with repetition of key phrases and exchanges from the videos. The videos sometimes include Italian subtitles, especially in more complicated exchanges or interviews.

Grazie mille, Chung!
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Haiku D'etat
White Belt
Languages: British English (N); Italian (B1)

Postby Haiku D'etat » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:23 am

This screenshot got me thinking:

If I want to use lots of adjectives in a phrase, what is the correct Italian word order?
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm

I've just signed up for the 6wc with Italian.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:07 am

Of possible interest to this group, Andrei, author of The Untranslated blog (a great blog and at least one page of it is worth reading by everyone here), is starting a book club. The second book is Italian: Horcynus Orca by Stefano D’Arrigo.

The main goal of the Book Club is to encourage learners of a foreign language to read a long, challenging novel in that language reviewed on my blog.

Caveat emptor: this is a Patreon thing, so it would cost you. Also: I gain no benefit from advertising this. I simply love reading his blog and want to support him.
0 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Study Groups”