Italian study group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Italian study group

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:30 am

garyb wrote:
sillygoose1 wrote:Does anyone know of any movies that is all/majority in dialect? I found one in Abruzzese awhile back but I totally forgot the name.

I'd love to know of any in Roman or Tuscan if possible, but others like Molisano, Pugliese, Calabrese, etc would be awesome too.

I saw "Anime nere" last year which was mostly in Calabrese. I found it relatively transparent though, so it was probably somewhere in between standard Italian and full-on dialect. I also recently saw "Non essere cattivo" which had some quite thick Romanesco. I'd be interested to hear about others too, as it's not something I've really looked for.

That movie looks pretty good. I watched a few scenes and it didn't seem all that bad to understand for the most part.

As for Romanesco, I was recently reminded of a movie called "Ali ha gli occhi azzurri" which is basically all in dialect. It's more of a drama film but it seems good for practice.
0 x

Haiku D'etat
White Belt
Languages: British English (N); Italian (B1)

Postby Haiku D'etat » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:44 pm

Can any native Italians please give me feedback on my pronunciation please?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Ky9i1XlQNT

Of course, I'm not looking for near native pronunciation, just 1) to be understood, and hopefully 2) not so bad that people will try switching to English, or maybe even 3) a foreign accent that, whilst not necessarily pleasing, but at least not repulsively strong/irritating to native listeners. Are there any particular sounds that I should focus on? Are there any that I'm getting (broadly) right, so I can concentrate on other sounds? Overall, how is the intonation and linking of individual sounds? Any other advice?
0 x

gatto di ghiaccio
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Int), Italian (Beg/Int), French (Beg)

Postby gatto di ghiaccio » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:52 am

mente&cervello wrote:A frivolous P.S.:
Gary, what is going on with Italians in Scotland? What you describe in your log sounds like they built an express Chunnel between the two countries. I am envious of your access--Italian roommates just showing up-- but curious. Also, a few years I was listening to a free "learn Italian" podcast until I realized I was starting to copy the host, and had begun speaking Italian with a Scottish accent. I hadn't associated the two countries before that (which shows my ignorance).

My mother-in-law is from a small town in Italy - Picinisco - and after WWII many people in the town left. Many came to America, like her family, but many also ended up in Scotland or England. My husband says that some that went to Scotland and opened up fish and chips shops!
1 x
Super Challenge:
: 3 / 100 Spanish Films : : 0 / 100 Spanish Books :
: 4 / 100 Italian Films : : 0 / 100 Italian Books :
: 1 / 100 French Films : : 0 / 100 French Books :

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Buonasera :)

Today, I came across a great resource mainly for beginner/intermediate learners of Italian but which might contain something for you more advanced peeps too. :P That resource is Alma TV, a website which contains short videos in accessible Italian about "il bel paese", it's culture and language.

If you click on 'rubriche' at the top, you can choose from the various mini TV programmes that the good folk at Alma TV have created. I have already watched the entirety of 'Vai a quel paese' which covers a bunch of common Italian idioms, as well as 'In viaggio con Sara' and a couple of videos from 'L'osteria del libro italiano'.

I think there might be something for everyone here :) Enjoy!
1 x

gatto di ghiaccio
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Int), Italian (Beg/Int), French (Beg)

Postby gatto di ghiaccio » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Spoonary wrote:Today, I came across a great resource mainly for beginner/intermediate learners of Italian but which might contain something for you more advanced peeps too. :P That resource is Alma TV, a website which contains short videos in accessible Italian about "il bel paese", it's culture and language.

This is great! I actually just went to the homepage and let it run. I liked the variety and it's great that they are all short pieces.

My husband insists on having background noise on a lot and I am forced to watch Family Guy or Simpsons or such because I have trouble ignoring dialogue. I think I will make him have this on in the background instead. If something must be playing, at least it is something that is useful to me! And it will help him keep his Italian fresh since he doesn't work on it like I do. He is also much, much more advanced than I. I still struggle to understand sometimes when they speak fast and I have too many holes in my vocabulary, but he was able to understand it.
1 x
Super Challenge:
: 3 / 100 Spanish Films : : 0 / 100 Spanish Books :
: 4 / 100 Italian Films : : 0 / 100 Italian Books :
: 1 / 100 French Films : : 0 / 100 French Books :

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:47 pm

I'm joining your study group as a casual member! I'm not ready for much of anything beyond the beginner courses that I'm doing right now, but I'll definitely take note of recommendations for future reference.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Mon May 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Haiku D'etat wrote:Can any native Italians please give me feedback on my pronunciation please?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Ky9i1XlQNT

Of course, I'm not looking for near native pronunciation, just 1) to be understood, and hopefully 2) not so bad that people will try switching to English, or maybe even 3) a foreign accent that, whilst not necessarily pleasing, but at least not repulsively strong/irritating to native listeners. Are there any particular sounds that I should focus on? Are there any that I'm getting (broadly) right, so I can concentrate on other sounds? Overall, how is the intonation and linking of individual sounds? Any other advice?

I don't see any feedback so far, so here's my take having listened through twice.

Overall it sounded very good to me. The intonation sounds good. There's one fluff that you correct immediately: it sounded like the sort of slip a native would make and correct on the fly as you did.

1) Perfectly understandable.
2) I wouldn't switch to English, assuming you can manage the same level when speaking rather than reading.
3) Nothing repulsive or irritating that I could hear.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:33 am

Ciao tutti!

Now that there's an active Spanish group and German group, as well as the original French one, of course, I think it's time to breathe a bit of life into this one too and give Italian the recognition it deserves around here.

Che ne dite? :mrgreen:
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Great idea!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Spoonary
Blue Belt

Postby Spoonary » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:16 pm

Perfetto!

If anyone would like to know how my Italian is going, they should probably read the latest post in my log thread about my trip to Florence. In short, I spent 5 days speaking nothing but Italian and was much better at it than I expected. :)

I bought several books while I was in Italy, but I'll write about them in my log maybe tomorrow. I am currently reading Oceano Mare by Alessandro Baricco and I'm actually finding it really difficult to keep up with and appreciate :? I have read Baricco before (Novecento and Seta) and I love his poetic writing style, but I'm struggling with this one...
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”