Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Elenia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:07 pm

Welcome, Neurotip! I don't know about the others but I positively welcome discussions about (and in!) Icelandic here. Go on, feed my wanderlust! As with all the languages, do add translations for everyone else if you're writing anything more than a few words :D

(I'm pretty sure I've said that before, if not, my bad!)
2 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm

Elenia wrote:Go on, feed my wanderlust! As with all the languages, do add translations for everyone else if you're writing anything more than a few words :D

Allt í lagi, ég ætla að gera það.

Oops. :oops:
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Neurotip wrote:
Elenia wrote:Go on, feed my wanderlust! As with all the languages, do add translations for everyone else if you're writing anything more than a few words :D

Allt í lagi, ég ætla að gera það.

Oops. :oops:

I got 'gera það.' I'm gonna go ahead and count that as a win!
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: Swedish films and tv? + Icelandic Cinema

Postby Stefan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 pm

Morgana wrote:2. Is anyone aware of a similar service for Swedish films and tv series, that streams or sells downloads internationally? Netflix Canada has only a very limited selection of Swedish titles. iTunes has a bit more variety, but the price per title varies wildly, and some aren't even available to rent at all (only purchase). It's probably a long shot, but I figured if anyone would know if there is such a streaming/download service, they would be one of us!

There's a new EU law saying that paid content should be available in all EU countries. Canada is a different story though and based on a few searches it seems that a lot of content is restricted to within Sweden. There are a few sites claiming that access will vary depending on copyright holders. Expect accessible content to be in-house productions and set your expectations thereafter.

https://www.svtplay.se/program
https://www.oppetarkiv.se/
https://www.dplay.se/
https://www.viafree.se/
https://www.tv4play.se/program/tags?order_by=name

I believe this site crawls them all so you'll have the content available through one site:

https://www.streamly.com/genre/free?sorting=rating

Viaplay is basically the Swedish Netflix where you can watch series and rent movies but it's not available in Canada unless you use a VPN.
2 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi. I have not posted in this thread for a long time. How is everyone doing with their Nordic languages? I am still working on Danish, but I will be working on Danish forever so that is not really an update :) Are there any other Danish learners in this group?

I listen to a podcast called Klog på Sprog, and through that I found out that the Danish dictionary added 1612 new words this week. There are also 19 new meanings and 12 new expressions. Dictionary updates were not something that I had previously given much thought. I also found it interesting to see that the dictionary gets updated twice per year, and I enjoyed looking through the new entries.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:26 am

Hey guys,

I'd like to join Team Nordic (Norwegian).

If you know me from my French studies/log, don't expect the same degree of intensity. In fact, it will be very different. Now with my "French only years" behind me, like many of us here on the forum, i'll be juggling several languages, with at least three of them being more important than Norwegian for reasons of maintenance/improvement (French), location (Arabic), and potential future employent (Dutch).

Although Norwegian isn't top priority for me, it's still a language I want to learn and one that definitely interests me, or I wouldn't be here. It's also a language my daughter is keen on learning too, and I think it might be nice/wise to encourage her in something that interests her. Since I take it upon myself to read to my children in foreign languages, in order to do so in Norwegian, I need to deconstruct the language and study it actively, albeit for dismally short periods of time, but that's better than not at all.

I also decided a while back that if I wanted to learn either Danish, Swedish or Norwegian, I'd choose Norwegian, as I've been there (so I know I like the place), I've friends there that I'm regularly in contact with, and for reasons of mutual intelligibility, I think it's a good choice too.

So here I am, don't expect lightening-fast advancement- I've only done about 30 minutes of Pimsleur so far and that was enough to both feel very strange at hearing the breakdown of a new language into separate syllables/phonemes and excited to learn more.

Peace out, Pete Mollenburg, for reals an' that :?
3 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:57 am

I'm still plugging away at Finnish. Setup to watch Finnish TV now with VPN, but still also plugging away with clozeaster. There's also a semi-active Opisuomea Discord server I've been reading a little.

But right now, heavily distracted by work and upcoming JLPT N2 test (Japanese)
2 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Finnish is going great. I moved again to the country this year and will have my work in Finnish.

Now, there's also Swedish, but uhm... I don't really do enough/anything. So I consider taking regular classes again from January onwards. I will decide about it, depending on the type of courses I find + how much time and energy I have next to my work. Language classes seem to be surprisingly cheap in Finland. (Except for the books, so I'll aim for a course that uses Rivstart as my previous course did.)
2 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:36 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hey guys,

I'd like to join Team Nordic (Norwegian).

If you know me from my French studies/log, don't expect the same degree of intensity. In fact, it will be very different. Now with my "French only years" behind me, like many of us here on the forum, i'll be juggling several languages, with at least three of them being more important than Norwegian for reasons of maintenance/improvement (French), location (Arabic), and potential future employent (Dutch).

Although Norwegian isn't top priority for me, it's still a language I want to learn and one that definitely interests me, or I wouldn't be here. It's also a language my daughter is keen on learning too, and I think it might be nice/wise to encourage her in something that interests her. Since I take it upon myself to read to my children in foreign languages, in order to do so in Norwegian, I need to deconstruct the language and study it actively, albeit for dismally short periods of time, but that's better than not at all.

I also decided a while back that if I wanted to learn either Danish, Swedish or Norwegian, I'd choose Norwegian, as I've been there (so I know I like the place), I've friends there that I'm regularly in contact with, and for reasons of mutual intelligibility, I think it's a good choice too.

So here I am, don't expect lightening-fast advancement- I've only done about 30 minutes of Pimsleur so far and that was enough to both feel very strange at hearing the breakdown of a new language into separate syllables/phonemes and excited to learn more.

Peace out, Pete Mollenburg, for reals an' that :?

I’d like to withdraw my request to join Team Nordic.

Upon discovering that Norwegian is not French enough, I dropped the language immediately. What a joke, can’t they even say ‘bonjour’ instead of... what was it again?

No that’s not true, iguanamon wrote a really nasty email to me and told me I must learn Haitian Creole or else ummm... what did he say... okay okay he never said anything nasty to me at all!

The real reason is Norway is too peaceful = not enough action. After watching truck loads of Hollywood action films from the 80s and 90s (think Arnie, Bruce Willis, JC Van Damme) dubbed by me in French... okay I imagined they were speaking French here and there, and I also took the liberty to relocate the films to various parts of Norway, you know the American looking parts, yeah yeah those parts of Norway, whatever they’re called, I’ve been sorely disappointed to learn that none of these films really took place there! So no, I cannot accept this betrayal. Norwegian has to go.

Fineprint (if it doesn’t look fine, your eyes are in outstanding condition!):
See my log for an alternative reason.

Sorry guys, I was really excited with this irrational short-lived action-packed peaceful Norwegian affair. Maybe we’ll meet again :?
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:09 pm

wow... tough crowd. Hopefully you are all busy learning dammit! :twisted:
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”