Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby Elenia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:59 pm

Hello All! And an especial hello to all of you studying/speaking Swedish. Yesterday was the first episode of the new season of På Spåret. For those of you who don't know, it's a geographical (and general knowledge) quiz show. The idea is that a camera is attached to the front of a train (and usually one other means of transport per episode) and four clues are giving as to the destination. The participants, and we at home, have to guess. The harder the clue, the higher the points. It's not only my favourite Swedish quiz show, it is my favourite quiz show full stop. It's available on SVT Play and worth a watch. Be warned: lots of wordplay and some expectations to wide general knowledge means that this is a challenging show, but it's fun even for people like me who know very little about most things and don't get the puns.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:35 pm

I got 32 points (the winning team got 34). (I also recognized one of the guest musicians before they said his name; I saw him in concert at the library in May last year.)
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 pm

My team got 30 points. I got one - I guess really two because I knew the answer we went with was wrong, and I'd said the right one. But still very poor show from me. Well done for getting 32 points! Also, nice on the singer. I really liked both of them.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:24 am

I managed 22 points - didn’t have the background for the entire middle destination. But I had enough fun I actually laughed out loud a couple times (not the best of ideas with a sleeping baby in the room!)
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:11 am

Systematiker wrote:I managed 22 points - didn’t have the background for the entire middle destination. But I had enough fun I actually laughed out loud a couple times (not the best of ideas with a sleeping baby in the room!)

The friend we were playing with comes from that town, and she and my partner both guessed the starting point of the journey from the very first shot (and were also able to figure out which direction the train was travelling in). My partner had also been guessing the first destination on ten points for the past three years - but due to mishearing the ten point clue, didn't manage to get it on just this occasion!

It so happened that one of the towns last week was the hometown of another person we were playing with. I feel like we've been quite lucky this season!
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Speaking of På Spåret, have you tried the app? I used it (once) last year, and became disappointed because the questions were multiple choice:
* I found it very easy to filter out the unlikely options
* One question didn't even have the correct answer among the 10 (!) options
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Agta
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (C1), German (B1, on hold), Italian (A2), Swedish (A2), Finnish (on my wishlist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1173

Postby Agta » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:19 pm

Elenia, many thanks for writing about På Spåret. I've just watched one episode of this quiz and that's really fun. Tack så mycket. :)
1 x
Corrections for entries written in English, Swedish, German or Italian are welcome.

SWE: 98 / 5000
ENG: 42 / 5000
ITA: 42 / 5000
Aim: read 5000 pages in those languages.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:25 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Speaking of På Spåret, have you tried the app? I used it (once) last year, and became disappointed because the questions were multiple choice:
* I found it very easy to filter out the unlikely options
* One question didn't even have the correct answer among the 10 (!) options

I haven't tried the app, no. I've been a bit tempted a few times, but don't really have space on my phone for new apps. Hearing this makes me glad - I'm certainly not missing out!

Agta wrote:Elenia, many thanks for writing about På Spåret. I've just watched one episode of this quiz and that's really fun. Tack så mycket. :)

I'm glad to hear that! It really is my absolute favourite quiz show, so I'm glad to be able to share it!

---

It's a new year! What are your goals with your Nordic languages? I personally am hoping to up my Finnish to basic conversation level, and to maybe start introducing some Danish listening comprehension exercises. (I know, I say this every year!)
0 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:40 pm

Elenia wrote:It's a new year! What are your goals with your Nordic languages? I personally am hoping to up my Finnish to basic conversation level, and to maybe start introducing some Danish listening comprehension exercises. (I know, I say this every year!)

I'm going to be picking up other languages, so my main aim with Icelandic is to keep it ticking along. I'd like to read... maybe 3000 pages this year? At least a third of that will be Lord of the Rings, which I'm very proud of finally managing to acquire.

And I'd like to do more watching/listening, since my comprehension is getting to a point where that's a little more productive. There are lots of shows and podcasts that I'd like to get through - the only problem is that I'm not much of a film/audio person in any language. But we'll see, I'm now going to start as I mean to continue, with another episode of Orðbragð.
1 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:52 am

Elenia wrote:It's a new year! What are your goals with your Nordic languages?

I'm hoping to put some serious effort into Swedish here in the first part of the year, and get some better productive skills, and then continue from there by beginning to read some literary works (and finally shelling out to get things I want). I'd love to do more listening and watching, but that's a later-in-the-year goal due to some other constraints. I'm finding more opportunity to use Swedish as time goes on, so its share of my life is growing. Oh, and I hope to catch up on På Spåret, but who knows.

I probably won't do much with Danish until the Spring, when I'd like to begin doing some similar reading. I don't have any plans for output in Danish this year. So I will probably stick with my occasional podcasts and get some reading in later on.

I've forgotten the minuscule amount of Finnish I learned, and don't really plan on trying again, so...yeah.
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”