Team Nordic [study and support group]

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Team Nordic [study and support group]

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 am

brilliantyears wrote:Hi everyone :) I think I'm 'officially' joining you all for Norwegian :D I've only just started, so any recommendations for additional study materials and especially native content (movies, tv series, maybe even simple books/short stories?) are very welcome! I'm also slowly making my way back through this entire topic :)

radio.nrk.no is my main resource for native audio content. You can filter according to categories, e.g. Podcasts. Subscription via RSS also works.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 am

Six beautiful short Icelandic poems with side-by-side English translation here:

https://exchanges.uiowa.edu/issues/fled ... old-moons/

I thought others might enjoy - perhaps even those who aren't learning Icelandic (yet)!
1 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

Soffía wrote:I thought others might enjoy - perhaps even those who aren't learning Icelandic (yet)!

The world is divided into those who have not yet learned Icelandic and those who, er, have not yet finished learning Icelandic...
(oh, and Icelanders. No offence, guys.)
5 x
Corrections welcome here

raoulhjo
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Czech (beginner)

Postby raoulhjo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum.
I am learning Icelandic with 'Colloquial icelandic'. The book is not suited to me as it is not intended for beginners (though the cover states otherwise). I will use another method. :)
2 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:55 pm

raoulhjo wrote:Hello everyone! I am new to this forum.
I am learning Icelandic with 'Colloquial icelandic'. The book is not suited to me as it is not intended for beginners (though the cover states otherwise). I will use another method. :)

Hi raoulhjo! There's a very helpful list of resources here, and I'd especially recommend Alaric Hall's audio course (it sounds as if you wouldn't have any trouble with it being in English). Have fun and let us know how you get on 8-)
0 x
Corrections welcome here

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:18 am

This was way back in 2018:

PeterMollenburg wrote:I’d like to withdraw my request to join Team Nordic.

Upon discovering that Norwegian is not French enough, I dropped the language immediately. What a joke, can’t they even say ‘bonjour’ instead of... what was it again?

No that’s not true, iguanamon wrote a really nasty email to me and told me I must learn Haitian Creole or else ummm... what did he say... okay okay he never said anything nasty to me at all!

The real reason is Norway is too peaceful = not enough action. After watching truck loads of Hollywood action films from the 80s and 90s (think Arnie, Bruce Willis, JC Van Damme) dubbed by me in French... okay I imagined they were speaking French here and there, and I also took the liberty to relocate the films to various parts of Norway, you know the American looking parts, yeah yeah those parts of Norway, whatever they’re called, I’ve been sorely disappointed to learn that none of these films really took place there! So no, I cannot accept this betrayal. Norwegian has to go.

Fineprint (if it doesn’t look fine, your eyes are in outstanding condition!):
See my log for an alternative reason.

Sorry guys, I was really excited with this irrational short-lived action-packed peaceful Norwegian affair. Maybe we’ll meet again :?

Now, pfft, getting back to reality, this is now:

I'd to reinstate my request. Yes, I've been up to no good - learning Norwegian since the start(ish?) of the year-ish?. I'm sure this will send waves of shock (as well as shock waves, shock-waves and shockwaves), despair and upright, outright and downright feelings of complete and otter (as well as utter) hopelessness throughout the Norwegian speaking world. That's right Norwegian people, a better Norwegian speaker than you, the natives themselves is soon to grace your language - more fluent than the most fluent things that are fluent ever in anything with any kind of fluent-ness is about to rewrite the whole history of levels of fluency.

Currently using a mixture of: Hugo's Norwegian in Three Months, Pimsleur Norwegian 1 and Learn Norwegian by Sverre Klouman. Constantly on the look out for spending more $ on Norwegian course books ;)

Where's your face even at?

This time I am expecting massess of fan emails and that this thread will become so popular, that the whole internet will have to be permanently shut down. Of course, if none of this happens, I've basically gone off and avoided the whole global crash of the internet in a 5 minute break at work. That's the kind of thing I do, you see? :)
4 x

raoulhjo
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Czech (beginner)

Postby raoulhjo » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi raoulhjo! There's a very helpful list of resources here, and I'd especially recommend Alaric Hall's audio course (it sounds as if you wouldn't have any trouble with it being in English). Have fun and let us know how you get on

Thank you for the resources!
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:52 am

Hello, everyone. This is just a quick note to advise those of you who are studying Norwegian that I have been (belatedly) attending to some housekeeping duties in the Norwegian Resources (version (2.01) file.

Of particular note is the following:

Assimil Le norvégien (sans peine), 708 pages, by Tom Holta Heide & Françoise Liégaux Heide
Assimil Norwegisch ohne Mühe, 496 pages, by Tom Holta Heide & Françoise Liégaux Heide
Presently available in FRENCH and GERMAN only. By the difference in the number of pages, it would seem that the current German 'edition' of the course is still the previous 'generation'.

Please don’t shoot the piano player.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Greetings Team Nordic! If you've read my log, you know that I'm planning on learning Danish over the summer due to a very nice young lady working on my base who is from Denmark. I'm slowly but surely making my way through the 30+ pages here, but if any of you have a recommendation for a one-book text, along the lines of Colloquial or TY/Complete, I'd appreciate the rec. I ask because I've been screwed in the past assuming a TY would be good and holy crap did I get a bad one. Tak!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 pm

IronMike wrote:Greetings Team Nordic! If you've read my log, you know that I'm planning on learning Danish over the summer due to a very nice young lady working on my base who is from Denmark. I'm slowly but surely making my way through the 30+ pages here, but if any of you have a recommendation for a one-book text, along the lines of Colloquial or TY/Complete, I'd appreciate the rec. I ask because I've been screwed in the past assuming a TY would be good and holy crap did I get a bad one. Tak!

I think Hugo has a Danish course with audio available. I'd take a Hugo over the modern Colloquial/TY any day. For someone who knows Slavic languages and has at least experimented with Old English, I think any grammatical hurdles would not be overly problematic and therefore even a 150-page little book like Hugo (I'm referring to what I think is the 2nd edition - the ones in the dark blue paperback with CD's, though I think I used the newer one for Russian and found it to be very adequate) will get you to where you need to be, especially with a conversation partner. The biggest hurdle I'd say is going to be pronunciation so I'd definitely make sure you get audio.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”